How not to build a shed

Mike Stafford

Another friend came across this building thread in, of all places, a sport bike forum. Apparently this guy's landlord decide to build a shed for his garden equipment and the guy decided to record the event with his camera.

When you see this you will not believe that anyone could know this much, er, make that know this little about building. When I first saw it I laughed for a while. It is quite a long thread but if you have the time to go through it you will be rewarded with a view of the finished building before the termites eat it.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even

P.S. By the way around post 100 there is a time lapse video of the "builder" at work.

[Note: Be aware there is a bit of adult language in the linked thread. - VM]

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt read the thread just looked at the video and some pictures,, the question i have is why did someone straighten hm out before he got so far so wrong!!! i hope that something like that here would have been corrected before someone made so many mistakes..

Yes I've seen this around here and there, it is amazing, isn't it :eek:

It would take some time to go through the whole thing, so to save you that time, the highlights are on pages 1,5,7,11,13 and page 17 holds the a time lapse as well at the final pics of the shed painted and trimmed out :rolleyes:

Also see page 30 for some funny photoshops.

This is an epic fail, and I know most of us bristle at what we see as dumb building codes, or codes that over do it, this, sadly, is an example that any building inspector can point to explaining why you have to get your plans approved and why you have to have inspections.

This is all taking place in Langley BC, not far from Vancouver, up the Fraser river valley a ways. The person doing this epic fail (I almost called him a builider! :rofl: ) is apparently Korean. I really hope this does not reflect poorly on Canadians, or Koreans, as I assure you that most any random person plucked from the street in Canada or Korea would do a better job than this fellow.

What a waste of lumber!

i didnt read the thread just looked at the video and some pictures,, the question i have is why did someone straighten hm out before he got so far so wrong!!! i hope that something like that here would have been corrected before someone made so many mistakes..

In reading the thread, the guy posting it seems to think that the landlord doing this epic fail is the kind of guy that no one can tell anything to.

Unless the city, or regional district steps in and orders him to tear it down, I think it will fail on it's own.

That looks like me building a car. Machines and I are good friends unless there's and internal combustion engine in them; unexplainable skillset lack.

I really did get quite a few chuckles out of it. He has to know he is making a mess of it so, maybe he is just one of those guys that won't accept help (of that you cannot help . . . we all know at least one of them, right?).

The posts in the forum are typical of so many that I see "out there". This is what makes Family Woodworking such a great place to hang out; it is nothing like those other forums.

With regard to Bill Arnold's concerns about the language in the thread, I did not read much more than the initial post and after that I just looked at the pictures. I had no idea that there was foul language in the thread. If this thread needs to be removed by all means trash it. I had no intent to offend. Guess I need to read stuff....

With regard to Bill Arnold's concerns about the language in the thread, I did not read much more than the initial post and after that I just looked at the pictures. I had no idea that there was foul language in the thread. If this thread needs to be removed by all means trash it. I had no intent to offend. Guess I need to read stuff....

No worries, Mike. While there is some language in that epic thread that wouldn't pass muster here, we don't expect every link posted here to lead to be pure as the driven snow, either. I'll add a note to your original post to warn people.

And I was glad to see the link here...I was going to post it myself. ;)

That's hilarious. Painful, but hilarious. ;)

Of course, I'm no-one to talk. I made the top of the first floor of the shed/ playhouse I built for James flat. Figured since I had a roof over it, it wouldn't be a problem, even if the sides were open. But the "floor" of the second story is just exterior plywood, and doesn't shed water. Not a problem at all with rain. But in our local blizzards, the snow collects up there, sits there, melts...

It's one of those design flaws not easily solved. But I need to do something, because someday his foot will go right through the 'floor'...

Best,

Bill