turning boxes

Frank Fusco

One of the better turners at my woodturning club demo'ed turning boxes yesterday. He made three in under one hour, sans sanding. Still much faster than most of us could do.
His technique is simple and I learned how he makes the lids fit very well with little work. In a nutshell, decide where you want the lid to go, part down, part off leaving the small section (tenon) on the lid, turn inside of box and lip to where the lid tenon fits tightly.
BTW, his name is John Kincade. He can turn the tiniest, prettiest little spindles you have ever seen. Big guy with huge hands but a delicate touch.
Shown is a walnut box I made recently, pre his demo. What looks like a finish flaw is actually in the wood.

Attachments

• walnut box.jpg
    walnut box.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
Agree with Bernie... I havn't made any yet, but it's on the list... and getting closer to the head of the list every day. Would be interested in a tutorial in pictures from your original post... tks

Chuck, the turner I mentioned, John Kincade is hugely respected in our club. He doesn't even live close and drives a considerable distance to participate. Plus, a very nice guy. He can turn anything but his most impressive items seem to be small. e.g. ornaments with delicate finials He spends about 8 hours a day turning at home and sells a lot of his items. He would, indeed, make an excellent subject for a demo video. I don't have a digi video cam but do have a good mini-cassette cam. Might call him sometime and set up something. I could haul the camper trailer to his place and spend a couple days making the video.

Frank

I like to make boxes also - yours is very nice - how do you judge how tight to make the top. Some I made last year are real tight but in the summer they are loose. I know the humudity has a lot to do with but what do you use as a rule of thumb?:huh:

Thanks
Jack

Big problem for me with boxes is that the wood I use is often not dry enough and a great looking box today with a perfectly fitiing lid has moved by tomorrow and doesn't fit anymore. There's a good book by a turner called Chris Stott on different boxes with some designs that is worth looking at if you are interested in them.

Pete

Frank

I like to make boxes also - yours is very nice - how do you judge how tight to make the top. Some I made last year are real tight but in the summer they are loose. I know the humudity has a lot to do with but what do you use as a rule of thumb?:huh:

Thanks
Jack

....UHhhhhh......my thumb????? ;)
Actually only concern myself at time of turning. What happens after happens after. I don't turn wet wood, BTW. I have tons of dry stuff and use that.