What is the use of a panel saw?

In order to improve my english woodworking knowledge I'd like someone explaining me if there is a specific use for a panel saw or if it is what could be described as a general purpose saw.

At first glance a foreigner like me would understand that it is for cutting panels, and hence its name. Is that so?

Thanks in advance

Hi Toni,

If we're talking about the same thing then a panel saw is a saw and a "jig" all in one. It's a frame, large enough to hold a full sheet, with a guide and rails so that you can make a straight cut vertically, across the entire panel. Not being a professional woodworker the only place I've seen it is at the Borgs to custom cut a full sheet of material down to whatever size the customer wants. I'm guessing a cabinet shop would also have one to make it easier to chop up full sheets.

Toni, I am assuming you were asking about a panel hand saw.

Per Graham Blackburn in his book "Traditional Woodworking Handtools", smaller hand saws were made in the early 18th century that were called panel saws. They were shorter than regular crosscut saws and with finer teeth. They were designed for use where a smoother cut was required. They were also intended for smaller pieces of wood. Later years this size saw became popular as a general purpose saw for both ripping and crosscutting.

George Ellis in his "Modern Practical Joinery" confirms the original intent of the panel saw as described above.

Bernard Jones in his "The Practical Woodworker" describes the panel saw as a useful all around saw for ripping, crosscutting, tenon cutting; fitting between a full size saw and a tenon saw.

The length of panel saws varied from 16" to 26" in various references. Bernard Jones suggested the usually length was 22" while the Disstonian Institute defines panels saws as being 24" or less.

I could not find any description of the saw for cutting panels, but obviously it could be used for that purpose.

They can cut sheet goods(plywood) down to manageable sizes. Most can cut either vertical or horazontal. Some offer a plate to use a router on them. It makes it easy to break down sheet goods before you take the ply over to the ts.

Toni, I am assuming you were asking about a panel hand saw.

Hi Bill, yes I was referring to a panel HAND saw, Tod, Alan, Terry please forgive me if I mislead you, I should have specifyed.

The reason for my question is that I got this onepax1a.jpg for my birthday and it is a good saw, straight, sharp and new but I can't cut straight with it. (See pics)
pax01.jpg
This last pic is the other side or far side of the piece, I've mirrored it.
paxx01.jpg
It is my feeling that the handle is too big for my hands and that makes me not being able to use it properly, it really feels akward and big on my hand and i'm not comfortable when using it. I've tried to get used to it by cutting scraps everyday but it doesn't work, it just keeps drifting to the left, even crosscuting.
pax03.jpgpax04.jpg

I've checked it and it is perfectly straight so :dunno: maybe it is the problem I have with my wrists that causes that, but it doesn't happen with other saws I have, although they are smaller.

Any hints?

Tod probably has the reason that your saw is not working properly. I have attached a link that I always liked for diagnosing sawing problems. It shows you how to correct an out of balance set. It is a link to the Norse Woodsmith who makes some wonderful saws.

http://norsewoodsmith.com/content/diagnosing-common-issues-hand-saws

That handle is really huge! I would suggest that you make a replacement handle. I have 4 old Distton handsaws and the best handle is on the oldest one (early 1900's). It fits my hand like a glove. What you need is a good old handle that you can use as a pattern. I wonder if anyone has a broken, but usable handle laying around that Toni could use for a pattern.

Although I do believe that it is the saw's set and maybe the lousy handle that are causing your problems, I am going to suggest one technique tip that I use all the time. That is to not squeeze your hand too tight as you saw. I have noticed that if I tighten my hand too tight, my hand rotates clockwise and of course so does the saw. So I use just a light but firm grasp of the handle and let my palm just push the handle. Works for me.

Last edited:
improperly set teeth will cause a saw to drift. do you have a local guy who sharpens?

I'm afraid not, Tod, although I tend to believe that with the reputation that PAX saw have that shouldn't be the problem, who knows?

That handle is really huge! I would suggest that you make a replacement handle. I have 4 old Distton handsaws and the best handle is on the oldest one (early 1900's). It fits my hand like a glove. What you need is a good old handle that you can use as a pattern. I wonder if anyone has a broken, but usable handle laying around that Toni could use for a pattern.

Yes it is huge! I do not have big hands but they aren't small either, my hand span from the tip of the little finger to the tip of my thumb is 8,6 inches. So I think it is medium size for a man (here).

I will look at the link you mention and see if I can find what's going wrong.

Thanks a lot to both.