cartridge pen

Frank Fusco

Here is a cartridge pen I just finished. Need jury opinions.
The cartridge is from Johnson. It is a .308 case and has a real bullet tip. He does fine work on these. As can be seen it is a chromed case. I used a platinum/Tn kit for the top and clip.
The wood is stabilized buckeye burl. And that is where the question comes in. Usually bullet pens are made with antler. I made this with burl to get a feel for how the market might like something beside antler.
Apologies for the bad pic. Using new camera and not sure, at this point, whether I am happy with my purchase. Still in learning curve.

Attachments

• chrome cartridge pen.jpg
    chrome cartridge pen.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 57
Here is a cartridge pen I just finished. Need jury opinions.
The cartridge is from Johnson. It is a .308 case and has a real bullet tip. He does fine work on these. As can be seen it is a chromed case. I used a platinum/Tn kit for the top and clip.
The wood is stabilized buckeye burl. And that is where the question comes in. Usually bullet pens are made with antler. I made this with burl to get a feel for how the market might like something beside antler.
Apologies for the bad pic. Using new camera and not sure, at this point, whether I am happy with my purchase. Still in learning curve.
Hi Frank; I'm not qualified to comment on a bullet pen per se, but I think any pen turned with Buckeye Burl is a winner.

Are you shooting with a blue background? I guess it's obvious you are! I prefer white or grey. I think that would make your pen stand out more.

What's the new camera?

Hi Frank; I'm not qualified to comment on a bullet pen per se, but I think any pen turned with Buckeye Burl is a winner.

Are you shooting with a blue background? I guess it's obvious you are! I prefer white or grey. I think that would make your pen stand out more.

What's the new camera?

Thanks. I thought the gray was too close to chrome/silver to make the pen stand out.
See this thread for info on the camera:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18246

Thanks. I thought the gray was too close to chrome/silver to make the pen stand out.
See this thread for info on the camera:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18246
Hi Frank; Have a look at Les's Elegant Beauty and/or my Vista. Both silver coloured on white backgrounds. Not a bad pair of photos.

Can't find a review of your camera on http://www.steves-digicams.com/ Just curious to have a look at it!

Oh, here it is SP 800 UZ! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_sp800uz.asp
I transcribed SP 8000. Duh! Nice camera!

Like the pen Frank. Looks good with the burl. Seems like the copper tip and the burl match pretty well.

As far as the picture goes seems like maybe there is just some kind of setting issue, huh? Just seems really 'grainy'. I know you're a photo joe, so I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Like the pen Frank. Looks good with the burl. Seems like the copper tip and the burl match pretty well.

As far as the picture goes seems like maybe there is just some kind of setting issue, huh? Just seems really 'grainy'. I know you're a photo joe, so I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Yes, that lack of sharpness has me bumfuzzled as well. I used the stabilizing feature and macro feature. I wasn't real close, so it should have focused. And, with 14 mp, that puppy should be sharp as broke glass. More experimenting to come.
Thanks for your comment. I like the burl/copper combo also.

Frank, looks good to me. I've seen cartridge pens in antler, various woods and acrylics. Bear Tooth Woods ( http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/ ) has camouflage acrylics that I think would look great.

I personally would have used that blank on a brass cartridge, and a different (probably lighter wood) on the nickel, but that's just my opinion and you do know what opinions are like.

Tony

Yes, that lack of sharpness has me bumfuzzled as well. I used the stabilizing feature and macro feature. I wasn't real close, so it should have focused. And, with 14 mp, that puppy should be sharp as broke glass. More experimenting to come.
Thanks for your comment. I like the burl/copper combo also.
Hi Frank; I see the macro focus of your camera is 1 cm (<1/2") and the normal focus is 18 cm (about 7"). I think your problem is in your words "I wasn't real close". That's what macro is for, real close!

Frank, looks good to me. I've seen cartridge pens in antler, various woods and acrylics. Bear Tooth Woods ( http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/ ) has camouflage acrylics that I think would look great.

I personally would have used that blank on a brass cartridge, and a different (probably lighter wood) on the nickel, but that's just my opinion and you do know what opinions are like.

Tony

Thanks. Those are the kinds of comments I'm looking for.

Hi Frank; I see the macro focus of your camera is 1 cm (<1/2") and the normal focus is 18 cm (about 7"). I think your problem is in your words "I wasn't real close". That's what macro is for, real close!

Thanks Mac. I was within macro range but will be playing around with it tomorrow. Macros and zoom can be funny. 7" isn't always 7".

Frank,
I won't comment on your photography.. you are much better at it then me as I am shall we say photographically challenged?? I'm like Mack, I use a white background most of the time and set my white balance to wash out the back.. makes the pen appear to "float"... sometimes I'll use a black background, but mostly like the white.

But the pen is a keeper... I like the stabilized Buckeye. I've made about 25 or so of the cartridge pens... I usually do my own cartridges and haven't tried to use the real bullets yet.. need to someday... but of the ones I've made, about half have wood for the upper clip end of the pen. I generally use the darker woods, but the Buckeye works for me...

I like the pen and the combination of materials you used. :thumb:

Photo-wise, I'd also suggest a white or gray background. Jamie Donaldson is a pro photographer on the World of Woodturners website, and he's on a personal crusade to do away with blue backgrounds. Per him, the blue throws of the reproduction of the other colors hitting the camera, and in nearly all cases will detract from a photo instead of enhance it. Focus-wise, 7" is 7" regardless of the zoom setting. Try it without the macro setting from the same distance as this pic and see if that helps. I'd also try with and without the image stabilization, just to see if it's helping or hurting. If you're using a tripod and the self-timer feature (so you're not shaking the camera when you push the shutter button), you shouldn't need the stabilization anyway.

do you like this more better?

I tried standing back, no macro. Used gray backdrop.
My tastes, not sure color is an improvement.
Pic is definitely sharper. Using those macro and super-settings needs some study and work.
I do use the stable feature and hand hold for these type shots. I have tripods and a wireless release but haven't used for simple 'record' pics.

Attachments

• pen gray back.jpg
    pen gray back.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 10
Don't know what it is, but they both look kind of 'far away' and slightly out of focus. Almost as if you took the picture at a distance and then really cropped in close on them.

How do they look to you before you crop and shrink to put up on the site? Maybe it's something in the post processing? :dunno: