Where to buy T8 bulbs?

Wes Billups

I am just about finished with my new basement shop and have purchased 18-2 bulb T8 fluorescent fixtures. I now need to purchase 36 4' bulbs and was looking for recommendations. I've seen posts where people recommend the 5000-6000 Kelvin bulbs but couldn't find any at my local HD. Please let me now if there are any other details about fluorescent bulbs I should be looking for and where the cheapest place would be to buy such a large quantity.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Wes, look for full spectrum bulbs, or some such name that implies the bulb light is like or simulates true sunlight. I have seen them both at HD and Lowe's. But, be careful to not get the plant 'grow light' bulbs.

Hummm, central Ohio sounds like somewhere between US-30 and I-70. :dunno:

Ken, thanks for the response. Are bulbs labelled as full spectrum? I'm guessing I want a full spectrum 5000 K bulb.

I'm actually located northwest of Columbus, I know where I-70 is but don't have a clue where US-30 is.

Wes Billups

I got mine on line, 62.00 per case of 25, and like 18.00 shipping. Of course I don't have the web site saved here at home, and I can't access Family Woodworking at work.:dunno: I'll try to find it, or e-mail the addy to myself here at the house and repost this evening. Jim.

Ken, thanks for the response. Are bulbs labelled as full spectrum? I'm guessing I want a full spectrum 5000 K bulb.

I'm actually located northwest of Columbus, I know where I-70 is but don't have a clue where US-30 is.

Wes Billups

Without seeing the bulbs, I would say yes. You can buy enough to outfit one fixture to see if it is the kind of light you want.

US 30 was the first(I think) coast to coast highway. It is also known as the Lincoln Highway. It crosses through Canton Ohio among other Ohio cities..

I 70 is the modern version of US 40, also called "The Old National". It is another coast to coast highway.

There a many coast to coast highways, but people don't know about them anymore since the building of the Interstate system that started back in the Eisenhower administration. I bet that if you ask a person what Rt 66 is, and if they know, they will tell you it is a coast to coast highway. It isn't, it starts in Chicago and ends in LA.

I know, you are sorry you asked.

Ok, here is the link:
http://www.businesslights.com/index.php?cPath=81_337
I found they were expediate, the bulbs were well packed (double boxed), not a single one was broken in shipping. The bulbs I got were these:
1 x 32W 5000K 86 CRI T8 Fluorescent and they were, and are, 47.50 plus shipping, not 62 plus shipping. The total was 64 and change with shipping a year and a half ago. They are plenty bright. I see they now have 25watt 5000k 86 CRI T8 available...those are 62.50 for 25. Hope this helps! Jim.

Last edited:
Wes, HD does carry the bulbs you're talking about, but they're T-12 bulbs. They are made by Phillips and are called Daylight DeLuxe with a rating of 6000K. I buy them by the case [10 or 12 I think] as they are about $5 and change individually, or about $30 per case. Didn't have to hit me twice to figure out what was the better buy. :doh:

I use the T-12 because they are a true 40 watt light where the T-8's are only 34 watt. These eyes are getting old so I need as much light as I can get and when I'm working I like the more natural light these bulbs put out.

Just for info, they are making compact flourescents now in the 5500-6000 K range. The only place I've found them so far is Menards. They make 40, 60 and 100 watt equivalent bulbs. I'm using 100 watt equivalent bulbs in the house. I get 100 watts of light using only 25 watts of power. Every penny counts.

Karl

Last edited:
If you do ored them thru the mail, make sure the they have the proper ends on them. Also You can try Mr.Bulb.com. I orderd some small bulbs from them a long time ago.

Ok, here is the link:
http://www.businesslights.com/index.php?cPath=81_337
I found they were expediate, the bulbs were well packed (double boxed), not a single one was broken in shipping. The bulbs I got were these:
1 x 32W 5000K 86 CRI T8 Fluorescent and they were, and are, 47.50 plus shipping, not 62 plus shipping. The total was 64 and change with shipping a year and a half ago. They are plenty bright. I see they now have 25watt 5000k 86 CRI T8 available...those are 62.50 for 25. Hope this helps! Jim.

Jim, thanks for the link. I ordered 36 - 4' T8 5000 K 86 CRI bulbs on Tuesday. They arrived yesterday and I spent 3 hours putting the fixtures up last night. I'm very happy with the results. I was a little worried as my basement shop doesn't have any windows and this amount seems to be perfect.

I have 42 outlets left to wire and I'm ready to start moving equipment in.

Wes Billups

Look to keep your Kelvin and CRI high. The T-8's I got from Lowe's are Kelvin 5760 and CRI of 92. This was as "hot" as I could get before I got color distortions that made finishing a problem. At the other end of the scale a Kelvin of, say, 3000 is just about worthless in a shop environment.

Just my opinion after taking 8 different Kelvin, CRI combinations for a test drive.