Planter box help

Mark E Smith

Working up ideas for a couple planter boxes to hang under some outside windows, probably in the one foot tall one foot deep by 5 foot long range with a 15 degree angled front. probably will use 3/4 cedar, open to suggestion on this as well, but my question is how to hang them, don't really like the look of brackets under the box, so thinking some kind of cleat system. Anybody have any experience with the weight bearing capability of cleats, will 3/4 stock be good, or should I go 2x4 for the cleats. My initial impression was to put a three foot section of cleat with 3/4 hardwood and the mate on the planter box would be four foot, too allow some movement side to side to center up on the window. Planter box would be entirely of 3/4 cedar except the cleat portion. Really want to keep this tight to the wall, if it sticks out too far the eves won't protect them from the rain. Any suggestions welcome.

What is the construction of your exterior wall? Shingle? Clapboard?

Cleats can hold a lot of weight, but the issue I see with them is that because they are angled toward the house they will channel and hold moisture against your siding.

Cleats can hold a lot of weight, but the issue I see with them is that because they are angled toward the house they will channel and hold moisture against your siding.

Excellent point! You'd ideally want some sort of drainage/airflow behind the box and likely some sort of flashing over the connecting points. Maybe one of the construction folks (paging Chuck Thoits!) has some ideas on how to do this properly.

What is the construction of your exterior wall? Shingle? Clapboard?

Dang never even gave that a thought, gonna have to look at this a little closer. The siding is clapboard 8 inch, I knew that would have to put some spacers in to make the cleats vertical, but didn't even think about water run off...hmmm this is more involved than I thought, I guess the weight issue is way down the list...lol..back to the drawing board...

I'll second Carol's suggestion for a metal bracket type of cleat. If they are properly anchored, they'll handle the weight, and drainage should become a non-issue.

I built a planter box years ago, out of 4/4 cedar. I screwed it to the brick wall with 3 Tapcon screws,which are large, maybe 12 or 14, and it has hung there ever since. I'ts at least ten years old. It is about 5' x6"deep x8" wide. As I recall, I painted the inside with a clear waterbase protectant and the outside with a Behr deck stain to match our deck.

Window box.jpg

This time of year the plants are a little ragged. The one in the centre has very shallow roots, but we are assured it will stand up to winter weather.

Last edited: