Holy Incredible Infills Batman.......

Stuart Ablett

I was talking to Garrett Hack on the Skype phone today, he is coming to Japan, and we are trying to set up a class for him to teach to some Japanese woodworkers, while chatting he told me that I sound like a Canadian friend of his, and he then told me to go look at his website...............

www.sauerandsteiner.com

........ man alive, there are enough pictures of wonderful hand planes there to cause one to drool on one's keyboard..... :eek: :D

Enjoy! :wave:

Yeah... and the guy has only been doing it for less than 10 years!
I met Konrad once at a woodshow, nice guy.
His work is outside my price, though!

Wow those planes are awesome. How can one even think of using one. Those are works of art. Drooooool.:)

I am with you Art ....way out of my price range.:eek:

They sure are. I met Konrad at a LN event over in Oakland a few months ago. Dang purdy planes, for sure. I got to use that $5000 jointer a little bit. It works VERY well - he had it tuned nicely so it made anyone who used it look really good. Temptation with every curly!

Don't think I could ever buy one - and if i did, I don't think I could bring myself to use it. But when he still owned it, I had no problem draggin' it over some wood :D

...while chatting he told me that I sound like a Canadian friend of his...

What is Garrett talking about, you guys all sound alike?! :rofl:

Something I picked up on the internet from a Yank that worked in Canada:

How to talk like a Canadian

1. End every 4th or 5th sentence with the very fast question "eh?", as in "That sounds like a good plan, eh?"

2. Practice a slightly different intonation of vowels and emphasis on different syllables. The oft-cited and extreme case is where "abOUT" becomes more like "abOOT". One I run into all the time is where the American "praw-CESS" become "PRO-cess" (with stronger emphasis on first).

3. Never say "I went to college" as that implies a lower-level, more trade-type school. Say instead "I went to university" even if the school you went to was, in fact, called a College.

4. Drop out "the" in certain key phrases like "the accident victim was sent to hospital" versus "to the hospital". You won't really have any idea where you should drop out the "the", so just do it randomly.

There are works of art that reside in museums and that is where they belong.

Then there are objects that you can hold in your hands that to me are something more than museum art. A fine camera (think Hasselblad), a pistol or rifle that has been machined and gun smithed to a point where it is as close to perfection as possible and certain hand tools.

The absolutely meticulous work and fit, the beauty of God's creation in the figure of the wood and that it serves a purpose don't bring any other examples to mind.

Did I mention I like them? WOW!

1. End every 4th or 5th sentence with the very fast question "eh?", as in "That sounds like a good plan, eh?"

2. Practice a slightly different intonation of vowels and emphasis on different syllables. The oft-cited and extreme case is where "abOUT" becomes more like "abOOT". One I run into all the time is where the American "praw-CESS" become "PRO-cess" (with stronger emphasis on first).

3. Never say "I went to college" as that implies a lower-level, more trade-type school. Say instead "I went to university" even if the school you went to was, in fact, called a College.

4. Drop out "the" in certain key phrases like "the accident victim was sent to hospital" versus "to the hospital". You won't really have any idea where you should drop out the "the", so just do it randomly.

Turnabout ;)

1. toss out lots of "huh?", but watch out, it isn't a one-for-one trade with "eh?"

2. remember, it is a "ruht", not a "root". Ditto for roof.

3. Watch out for regionalisms, things like Soda vs Pop, and use of the word "Holler" and "Davenport".

4. Potato chips are a perfectly acceptable "side dish" beside your sandwich at lunchtime and nothing to remark on.