Is This a Good Deal?

Hi all:

OK, this is what my neighbor has offered me. You tell me if it's a good deal. I know you like pictures, but my camera is at the new house and I'm at the old house.......My impression is that he's not giving away the stuff for free.....

For $500 he offers me, all used and dusty but in good running order, and he's offered to show me how everything works:

1) Sears Craftsman Bandsaw with dedicated stand and 3 blades

2) Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner

3) 2 serious dowelling jigs, a bit different and heavier than the one I bought the other day

4) Skil router (no bits)

5) 2 sanders, an orbital and a ......flat one?

6) 1 18-gauge nailer

7) Elu sliding miter saw which he swears is super accurate + a big jig he built for it for infeed and outfeed (is that what you call it?)

For another $100 he would give me a large industrial drill press.

Should I take it or take fewer pieces.....or take nothing.....?

Thanks

Last edited:
green answers

Hi all:

OK, this is what my neighbor has offered me. You tell me if it's a good deal. I know you like pictures, but my camera is at the new house and I'm at the old house.......My impression is that he's not giving away the stuff for free.....

For $500 he offers me, all used and dusty but in good running order, and he's offered to show me how everything works:

1) Sears Craftsman Bandsaw with dedicated stand and 3 blades/75-100 unless its a old one built better than the new ones

2) Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner/75-100

3) 2 serious dowelling jigs, a bit different and heavier than the one I bought the other day/25 buys new one right?

4) Skil router (no bits)/25 if it runs

5) 2 sanders, an orbital and a ......flat one?/35 each

6) 1 18-gauge nailer/50 depending on brand and shape

For another $100 he would give me a large industrial drill press./yes fair price if its in good shape
Should I take it or take fewer pieces.....or take nothing.....?

Thanks

green answers

Without more specifics I think the price may be a bit high.

1) Sears Craftsman Bandsaw with dedicated stand and 3 blades

- I paid $80 for a 12" Craftsman bandsaw on the stand that was in great shape.

2) Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner

- PC 557 type 2 is worth at least $150 but PC makes lesser machines that are worth about half that.

3) 2 serious dowelling jigs, a bit different and heavier than the one I bought the other day

- Not qualified to speak to this; no experince.

4) Skil router (no bits)

- Probably 1/4" collet and there for I agree that $25 would be a fair price for an "extra" 1/4" bit machine to add to the stable if you have room to store it.

5) 2 sanders, an orbital and a ......flat one?

- A Black and Decker I wouldn't bother to carry home. Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. I would get model #'s and compare new price to what he is asking and judge from there.

6) 1 18-gauge nailer

- minimal experience here as well. I have been using the ones that came free with other tools for years and never had a problem or felt the need to upgrade BUT, I usethem very seldom. Like having them but just don't use them much.

Hope this helps a little. As you are finding out, general opportuinties and deals come along often enough. Its our specific needs that never seem to hit the want ads ;-)

Last edited:
If you need all those items, I would defnitely make him an offer below his asking price, it's maybe fair but not a great deal. Depending on which bandsaw, biscuit jointer, and drill press they could be good deals or overpriced. Brand/models/condition are kind of important to determine value.

I usually try and pay under 50% for something that looks new, 25-35% for something in good working order with use/cosmetic issues. Around here that's a good price but those deals do come along.