How Poor Were You?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
When I was a kid we were so poor our family used to sit on the front porch and crack our knuckles so that the neighbors would think we could afford walnuts.

:rofl:

Sorry...ran across that line tonight on another site and had to share it. I'm sure you've got others to add.

Sorry...ran across that line tonight on another site and had to share it. I'm sure you've got others to add.

I came in here to use that same line, you didn't happen to find it on a site where the members make really weird comments, photo shop everything in site, with tons of references to pirates, the LOL kitten and lord knows what else? And run buy a beer drinking book writing man named Drew.

on a side note.
I'm so poor I can't pay attention!

Well growing up in Canada, I got to jump in here........

When I was little we were so poor we hade one winter jacket, and we had to share it walking to school :rolleyes:

Last edited:
True Story
We were so poor that dad worked on the WPA along the railroads.
He use to take a super big tub and tie it to his belt and drag the tub.

When he would come across a frog, POW with the shovel
and toss him into the tub. Frogs then where huge.

It would be nothing for him to come home with a tub full.
He would clean them, and mom would fry them. Still to this day, can see those legs jumping around in the fryer.

For those that dont understand frog leg nerve endings still react to heat

:huh::huh:

True Story
We were so poor that dad worked on the WPA along the railroads.
He use to take a super big tub and tie it to his belt and drag the tub.

When he would come across a frog, POW with the shovel
and toss him into the tub. Frogs then where huge.

It would be nothing for him to come home with a tub full.
He would clean them, and mom would fry them. Still to this day, can see those legs jumping around in the fryer.

For those that dont understand frog leg nerve endings still react to heat

:huh::huh:

I hear they taste like chicken........:rolleyes:

I came in here to use that same line, you didn't happen to find it on a site where the members make really weird comments, photo shop everything in site, with tons of references to pirates, the LOL kitten and lord knows what else? And run buy a beer drinking book writing man named Drew.

on a side note.
I'm so poor I can't pay attention!
Fark.com? Me? Whatever would give you that idea? BTW, you forgot squirrel nuts. :rofl: I'm not really a regular there, but I've been peeking in there from time to time over the years. It's a fun place to kill some time.

Frog legs, YUMM

well bob i can relate to your dads gettun frog legs used to grab them myself and they dont taste like chicken much better havnt had any fresh ones in some time. we were poor too but we always had food on the table one way or another, but i dont like boiled bologna or spam to this day....learned early on to get better meat than that or pay the consequences:rolleyes:

we were poor too but we always had food on the table one way or another,

My Dad has been dead quite a few years now and often I remember the things that he had to say and I consider all of them true to this day. What Larry has to say reminds me of one the more important ones. He said that if you have a roof over your head and have plenty to eat consider yourself lucky and in addition to that if you are able to educate your kids consider yourself a success.

Last edited:
Larry
You brought up something else that I remember during that period of time. Yes to Spam............but try this

The kids gag when I tell them the story.
Dad had couple pigs that he would raise and butcher.
Also mom would buy lard if we didnt have it.

Use to make LARD sandwiches with pepper to take to school. The lard would stick to your ribs and you would not be hunger all day.

:thumb::thumb:

Like another that is famous for the Quote, I was born poor, and still have most of it.:D

We also gigged frogs, and I understand that my FIL and his BIL used to gig or catch Frogs, and dress them out, then sell the legs for money to buy other groceries, and my MIL and her Sis would cook the backs and cheeks for their own use.

Not me, but my mother. She would take cold boiled potato sandwiches to school in a cold biscuit. Yuuck!

Nancy
I've been through a few lean times on the road in the band days where I had apple sandwiches for dinner. (You can buy a loaf of bread and a couple apples cheap just about anywhere.) That's tastier than cold potatoes or lard, I guess. :rolleyes:

Heck, you guys... We were SO poor that we didn't have Internet access. Nor a computer. Nor a dishwasher.

But that isn't all.

We also didn't even own a microwave oven! Or a cellphone.

But it gets worse.

We only had one television.

And it was black-and-white. (up until around 1975 I think)

And our house did not have air conditioning. Nor did our car. Not cruise control or power windows either.

...art :D ;)

ps: Yeah, I admit it. We were rich. filthy stinking rich. Compared to 80% of the world that is.

dont think lard sandwiches would cut it for me but we had alot of lettuce sandwichs and if we got bologna on it too that was a treat! and to this day bologna and cheese and crackers are a mainstay for quick treat to sustain us on a trip. the roof over your head was also a phraze chipped in stone and it still stands the test of time... there are many out there that have less and we all should be greatful for what had then and today in comparison, to what others dont have.