I'm frustrated and need to rant....

Chuck Ellis

We've been having trouble with our DSL line for the past week and half.... the line would drop off and not be available, or would be so slow that you could take a bathroom break between web clicks... I've had the telephone repairman out at least 3 times over that period. Two of the times he couldn't find anything wrong, today he found a shorted cable pair and put us on a new cable pair.... the DSL works fine now...

After he left, we got three phone calls from people calling a number that isn't ours... when I asked what number they were calling it wasn't our number nor anywhere near our number so no chance of mis-dial. I made a trip into town to drop a package to the post office and called LOML to see if she wanted a sandwich from the local Hardee's.... the phone range about 10 times and she didn't pick up - which worried me, but figured maybe she was on the line and I was ringing as a call waiting - she'll ignore a call waiting and keep talking on her call..... I waited a few minutes and called again... same results, so I called on her cell and got her. She had not been on the phone, so when I got home I tested the line and called my own cell... my caller ID on the cell show a totally different number from our home phone number... so concluded we had a crossed wire and we are getting someone else's calls and they are getting ours.

Called the phone company... again... got a nice young lady with an almost unintelligible accent... in my previous 3 or 4 calls to the phone company, also got parties with slight accents and one one occasion asked where they were... he was in the Caribbean... when I finally made this last young lady understand I needed a repairman to come out and fix the crossed wires, I asked her where she was... at first I thought the accent sounded Trinidadian, but turns out she was in Jamaica.... why can't I call a local phone company and get a local customer service office...

It took me 25 minutes and at least 100 questions to get across to the girl I was talking with that my phone didn't work, if I called out on my phone, caller id showed a different number than my home phone number, if I called my home phone number, the call went to another phone - not to mine... and that it was the same on all the phones in my house... we have one base station and two remote wireless phones in the kitchen and in Dianne's study.... she wanted me to unplug the phone and then plug it back in... if I do that I will lose you... that's okay, I'll call you back... you can't call me back, the number goes somewhere else... what would be a good number to call you on.... call my cell phone... what is that number... 3 times I've given her that number... finally got her to understand, I need a repairman to come out and uncross the wires... send someone out.

This would be a good comedy routine for a stand up ....

Rant over

So we can call your number and leave a message that says: "Vito the fix is on, he will leave alarm off and the vault is open. Meet me at ten" and then hang up?

It wasn't so much that she was in Jamaica, which is a great place to be this time of the year... it was the trouble I had making her understand that if you called my number you didn't get me, you got a neighbor some where around me.... if you called that neighbor (don't know who they were, but one of them was named Amanda, we got 3 calls asking for her), you would get me.... the wires were crossed.

It's fixed this morning though... or at least the telephone repair man said it was.

chuck, I don't mean to sound insensitive to your problem, or rude , but welcome to the new world.

Ive complained so much about this type of stuff.

With the 'reduction in force' of all those pesky, expensive, experienced people we are indeed left with a support force of people who were 'standing nearby' when the actual work was being done and lack any sort of actual training or experience. Or at least I hope that's it because the alternative is that they are all really that thick . . . did I say that out loud?

So we can call your number and leave a message that says: "Vito the fix is on, he will leave alarm off and the vault is open. Meet me at ten" and then hang up?

I've already done so . . . repeatedly :D

There, there! Whisky makes everything tolerable. ;D

Shades of George Orwell!!! Oh wait, that was 'Victory Gin' . . . we're OK :)

Chuck I had a similar experience a few years ago. A limb took down our phone line which is only used for our DSL. We haven't had a home phone for 5yrs or so. When I called to get a tech to come out and put it back up, they kept telling me I didn't have phone service so they would need to charge a $160 service fee. :huh: I finally got in touch with the supervisor's supervisor and got it straightened out...after 45 min on the phone. At the end of the call, they tried for 10 minutes to get me to add a home phone and dish network. :doh:When the tech came he gave me his cell # to text him if it every happens again to avoid all the phone call problems. I've used it one time and he was there in 20 minutes. :)