Houston We Have Ignition

Well, after months of study, reading, procrastination, fear, sweat, acquiring tools, acquiring more tools, coveting even more tools, learning how to operate my tools, putting together my tools, debating with family members, fielding criticism about taking up woodworking i.e. "that's preposterous," making the shop dog-friendly, learning how to do things without throwing the breaker (difficult), and putting things away in the shop in some kind of organized fashion, today I started working on my bookcases.
chase.gif

I thought I should start a thread to follow my progress, and tell you what I'm learning along the way. This is especially for the benefit of those newbs out there who want to learn but are bashful about posting. Introduce yourself! Post away! There is no shame here. :bonkers:

I can't say I got a lot done beyond getting my feet wet and getting past the psychological barriers.
hammering.gif
I spent the day cutting plywood and particle board--not my good stuff yet--just to make some guides for breaking down plywood and some other little jigs and also just for practice. I don't like the idea of breaking down plywood and then cutting it a 2nd time on the TS. I'd love to find a way to get accurate cuts the first time. But I haven't found it yet. And no, Chuck, I'm not spending $800 on a Festool track saw. My cuts today ranged from beveled to zigzag to curvilinear to just plain ugly. :rofl: But, listen, no one is born knowing how to do this stuff. You gotta start somewhere, and there's nowhere to go but UP. :thumb:

This is what I learned today.

1. Clamps are your friends. You can't have too many clamps. I could definitely use some with longer throats though (is throat the word)?

2. It's hard (or impossible) to make straight cuts with a jigsaw. DAMHIKT

3. It's easier than you think to cut plywood with a hand saw. You can get a straight smooth cut, but it's hard work. Not a viable option for 20 bookcases.
sawing.gif

4. When your workshop is colder than Absolute Zero, put your coffee in an insulated cup.

5. If you put ear plugs in *and* use the ear muff type hearing protectors, you can't hear *anything*. :woohoo:

6. Miter boxes don't cut 2X4's very well. DAMHIKT. :whistling:

So I'll keep everyone posted. Fasten your seatbelt. It's going to be a crazy ride. :rofl:
157fs409780.gif

I include some before photos of the shop. Panning from right to left, taken this morning at 5AM.
construction-barrier.gif

shop1r.jpg

shopr2.jpg

shopr3.jpg

shopr4.jpg

shopr5.jpg

shopr6.jpg

What I find humorous is the semi random way there are clamps and hammers just hanging out here and there... :rofl:

Okay well you off the starting blocks. Good luck.:thumb: Just remember measure twice cut once. Oh and both those measurings need to be done before the cut.

Are you aware that the two floodlights you have there are 1000 watts?

I ask because you mention breakers tripping and i see the panel open and know that you need a heater on as well.

Whats with the idea of using the jig saw?:dunno:

I got another suggestion for you on the cutting table saw issue.

You can get fold up legs like they have on the banquet hall tables from Canadian tire or home depot.

I was lucky someone in the neighborhood threw out a complete heavy one for me. I aint to proud to pick up garbage.

Buy a couple of those legs and fix them well to a piece of 3/4 spruce. But while you at the depot get them to cut it for you.

Then as others have said pick up some pink foam board and match it to size of the table you gonna make.

Now you use that to lay your plywood on and cut it with the edge guides that have been suggested.

The thing thats neat about those tables is the height. You aint on the floor and you aint trying to get up high enough to handle the saw etc. It a good height when you want to be able to reach well on top of the work surface and the cool think is when you done you can fold it away and stand it up against the wall or for that matter even use it when you need an extra serving table at a function at home. You might also take a strip of wood and frame along the bottom just to add some rigidity to the surface. You will be amazed how that height of the table will help.

Will be watching the progress.:)

The only way to learn is by trying. Now you know jig saws are not good for cutting long straight lines and a miter box isn't the most efficient way to cut 2x4's.

Your shop is looking good though. I'm really looking forward to seeing you learn all the fun stuff from building the bookcases.

Nice start Cynthia :thumb:

I have to say this is just the same way I got int this crazy hobby, wanted a new kitchen, wanted to build my own and had no shop. So your story I can so relate to cause it is the same as mine..........wanted it and did it:) So you go Cynthia:thumb: Love your determination and I am going to follow your build with great enjoyment:)

Up to and including pink workbench legs. :p
(Said the man with a metallic purple dust collector with a "Hoover" logo on it.) :rolleyes:

A Barbie bench?;) It's funny how Ken hasn't got one, because he's got all sorts of apparel, car, boat motorbike and so forth. Maybe they depict a different class of man. At least GI Joe got other things:D

Said the man with a Michelin man on his shop:rolleyes:

Those pink legs rock. I think I'll try that ;-) Do I see a Milwaukee router box in one of those pics? You'll love that thing; they're addicting.

1. Clamps are your friends. You can't have too many clamps. I could definitely use some with longer throats though (is throat the word)?

Throat, capacity, reach, whatever. Yes, clamps are your friend. Many of us develop a preference for certain types or formats but we all have some of those specialty clamps that make a job easier like nothing else can.

2. It's hard (or impossible) to make straight cuts with a jigsaw. DAMHIKT

Difficult yes, but with a good jigsaw you can get pretty darn close and clean up the edge with a router and a guide.

3. It's easier than you think to cut plywood with a hand saw. You can get a straight smooth cut, but it's hard work. Not a viable option for 20 bookcases.

Foamboard and a shop made guide will serve you well.

4. When your workshop is colder than Absolute Zero, put your coffee in an insulated cup.

I'm a SoCal native. We have thin blood. I abandon the shop at about 45*

5. If you put ear plugs in *and* use the ear muff type hearing protectors, you can't hear *anything*.

Ahhh, bliss.

6. Miter boxes don't cut 2X4's very well. DAMHIKT.

CMS were born for this stuff.

another vote for the pink legs,, and the tight sign:) as for the rest well yur started so now yu will find all the wild and wooly pitfalls in this hobby:D:thumb: and was the chaulk board new or used from some where i have a dry marker board and it doesnt clean well.. but is very handy

Interesting shop. I can't say I see any logic to the layout or a workable flow to where things are placed.
But, then, I don't recall any compliments from visitors on the way my shop is layed out. Most just sorta look around and say "uh-ha". :rolleyes:

another vote for the pink legs,, and the tight sign:) as for the rest well yur started so now yu will find all the wild and wooly pitfalls in this hobby:D:thumb: and was the chaulk board new or used from some where i have a dry marker board and it doesnt clean well.. but is very handy

I was waiting for someone to ask about that sign. I photoshopped something out of it to be in accordance with the CoC. It's an old metal sign from my oilfield days that I think is amusing.

Frank, the workflow isn't organized yet.

Thanks for all the comments on the pink paint. :rofl: I painted something one day and had a roller full of pink leftover that I didn't want to waste, so I just walked around and painted anything that came into my sights, until it was gone. There's a tangerine color roller in my near future. :D

Mohammad, maybe you should show your wife my pink table and see if she wants to take up woodworking!

Tom, and Bob, and Steve, and Glenn, and everyone else, I'll give an update tonight. Thanks for the kind words.....:) :wave:

ok cynthia, its time to stop fussing around with unpacking machines and hanging things up, its time to take all that wood on that rack and start measuring and cutting, milling, assembling, lets get busy girl.

Allen, I'm working as fast as I can! :thumb:

Ken, if you change your mind about the pink, I'll give you the Benjamin Moore paint ref. #. :D

Today I figured out how to mount the vise and went to the Borg to get some bolts and some insulation to cut ply on on the table. More about that on the breaking down plywood thread. I borrowed LOML's creeper to get the vise under the table--later tonight with son's help.

I went to the local tool store (do you call that LTS?) to ask about my new little CS (4 3/8" blade) that the safety blade cover wasn't working on--they just gave me a new one! :thumb: Sorry you experts but I don't feel safe with a giant CS in my hand. Much happier with the little one, but I wouldn't use it with the safety cover not moving freely. So that's about it for today. Tomorrow the sawdust will fly!

creeper.jpg

insulation.jpg

You might change your mind on that foam under the work as the saw is going to throw some of that all over the place and it sticks to everything. Like I said if you find it is not working as you would like just lay out 4 2x4's the width of your table down, spaced evenly and lay the sheet on top and set the depth of your blade to just under the wood. It will allow the dust a way out and you might find that a bit easier to work with. Try the other way first and then give it a try, what do you have to loose? The shop is coming along nice and the pink legs are just Hmmmm pink.:rofl: That is ok it is your shop and it is what you want it to be. What size service do you have to the house? 100 amp or 150? ( look on the fuse panel it might be on the big breaker or the meter outside). Those hallogens are hard on the hydro you might want to look into some floresent lights in the future to replace the lights in the ceiling. You might find it a bit easier on the breakers as you don't want to be tripping them all the time.