How Do You Spell Humiliation?

C-Y-N-T-H-I-A

I just knocked over my DP. Yes, that's the long and the short of it. I'm an idiot. I was trying to move it by myself......bad idea. :( I'm too ashamed to show you a picture yet.....and I cut my hand too. Not bad enough for stitches, just enough to hurt.

Moral of the story. If you're not capable of doing something, then DON'T DO IT.

So as soon as I get some muscle in the house to help me lift it, I'll see what the damage is...........

Since misery loves company, has anyone else ever done something so stupid in their shop? It sure would make me feel better........

C-Y-N-T-H-I-A

Since misery loves company, has anyone else ever done something so stupid in their shop? It sure would make me feel better........

Nope I don't think so Cynthia. I think you are all alone on this one.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Being home alone all day I'm always trying to move something in the shop that I should wait for help with.
I've had a few dumb accidents but haven't knocked over my drill press yet. ;) I did accidentally set my bandsaw on my foot while trying to put it on a mobile base if that counts :D

I haven't yet......today.:rolleyes: Glad your injuries are minor, just enough for a reminder of what not to do. More than once I've moved something by myself and luckily did no damage but still caught heck from LOML for not waiting for help. You learn from mistakes.....or most of us do. Those who make the same mistake twice usually don't have a shot at the third one.

I tipped over my empty gun safe trying to move it once :eek:

Thing must weight 800 - 1000# empty?:huh:

I was trying to do the ole Egyptian mambo with it. got some 1" cast iron pipe to use as roller. Moved it from the house out to the garage, down a 4 inch step by myself. Then I needed to get it in the back of my truck.

I forget exactly why, but I thought I needed to raise it up so I could put it on some roller or something. So I was slowly tilting it back and forth and building up a little platform under it. Well, something went wrong and BOOM it fell over and landed on some cardboard boxes and crushed them silly.

No harm done to either the safe, me, or the garage floor...

In fact, having it on its side made it a lot easier to load into the back of the pickup truck with an engine hoist and some heavy duty straps...

Next time (and I hope there is not a next time), I'm not moving it. It will be a gift to the new owners of our house and I'll get a new one at the next place...

Oh, I didn't think any of you had done what I did; I meant have you ever done *anything* stupid.

DP seems to work fine. I bent a couple of the handles that move the spindle up and down, but they still work fine; and I snapped off the handle (cast iron? :eek:) that turns a bolt on the body, but I can turn that with a wrench....

I got my son to lift it onto it's new (wider) handy dandy stand with wheels! (that when I lost it). So I'll take a break, then get back to it.... :rolleyes:

Well, I guess if you mean have we done "anything" stupid in our shops...... so far (and I'm knocking on a green block of wood as I speak (two raps with each hand to side of head) the only thing I've done to date that hurt, was I had the headstock off my Jet1442 and in a repair shop... when I put it back on the ways, I didn't remove all of my fingers from under it.:eek:.. wound up smashing the nail on the long finger of my right hand... eventually lost the nail.. just glad it wasn't a thumb... nothing gets in the way more than a sore thumb..:rofl::rofl:

We won't count the bowl that got loose and hit me in the eye.. looked like the wife had been beating me again.. :eek::rofl:

Or the day the board kicked back out of the table saw... I spoke in a high voice for a day or two :rolleyes::rofl:

Last edited:
"Frailty, thy name is ... woodworker"

"How do I flub up? Let me count the ways."​

Sorry - feeling a little theatrical / poetic all of a sudden. :eek:

OK Bill (Lantry) ... you can take it from here. (Just joshin'!) :wave:

Nope on the DP but i did nearly kill myself in a crushing by drywall once if thats any concilation to you.:D We all do these things and live to regret it.:) Glad you not injured more than you say.

welcome to being a bit to independant cynthia,, we all have been there and glad yu didnt get to hurt,, next time ask for help or at least ask before you do it so maybe some one can warn yu:)

I haven't done too much with my shop tools where I got hurt or hurt them(stitches with my dovetail saw once...), almost had an incident with the gun safe like Brent (though my safe 'only' weighs a bit over 400lb). When I moved down to Tacoma, I did catch a pallet of my belongings (2000lbs) that started to fall off of the truck. I reached up high, caught it and kept it from tipping all the way over and off the truck. For eleven years after that I had a screwed up back that made it almost impossible to even pick up my kids or work on my hands and knees. Just got it fixed recently and now I can do all I used to do! Mistakes from just a moment trying to do something on your own can lead to some intense consequences to just some bruised pride.
Oh, well, scars are cool right?:D:D

I hope your drill press just has a little cosmetic damage Cynthia, it's never fun when you scratch or ding your new tools for the first time. But it gives it character right? At least that's what my mom told me every time she dropped me on my head, "Oh, don't worry honey, it'll just add character!":rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I moved down to Tacoma, I did catch a pallet of my belongings (2000lbs) that started to fall off of the truck. I reached up high, caught it and kept it from tipping all the way over and off the truck. For eleven years after that I had a screwed up back that made it almost impossible to even pick up my kids or work on my hands and knees. Just got it fixed recently and now I can do all I used to do! Mistakes from just a moment trying to do something on your own can lead to some intense consequences to just some bruised pride.

I know it's instinct to catch things that are falling... most of us learn the hard way... sometimes it's better to just let things fall... I've been hurt more trying to prevent accidents than the accidents would have caused.

Last edited:
Lets see stupid things that I have done.

Shot myself in the hand twice with an air spiker ( one penetrated one bounced off)
Shot myself in the chest with an air spiker (went in 1 1/2 inches and just miised all the vital organs)
All the times I have stepped on boards with nails sticking out and they have missed the steel shank in the work boot
Can't recall all the times I have walked into beams with the hard hat
All the power cords that I have cut while working
Framing squares that I have cut ( been under the work I was cutting)
All the times I was shocked with wet cords ( that is when I discovered how Goofy got his laugh)
got stuck on a roof once when the ladder fell over and the owner was out and I could see my cell phone on the ground.

I am sure that there are more just can't remember them all.
Things like happened with the DP are just reminders of what our limitations are. One day you will understand that if you think it is a bad idea it most likely is. Glad to hear that the cut wasn't bad. Glad to hear that you didn't drop the DP on yourself.

Hi,

I am VERY glad that I have three strapping young men who were raised across the street. One still lives there with his altzheimer mother. There is a strong neighbor to the left who I see frequently and a strong neighbort to the right.

When my new drill press needed to be assembled I (all 114 pounds of me) rigged up a block and tackle to raise the 95# head into position. I went next door and got Mike to help me. He said, "Let's get these ropes out of the way." Then he picked up the head and set it on the column ever so gently.

I live in a great neighborhood.

Enjoy,

Jim

Okay, if I have to confess too.

I have a very small shop for one that has a 16 inch planer with a 5 hp motor. And a 14 inch bandsaw that has to be moved if I am planing a board longer than about 6 feet. And one time I forgot that the work piece was about 8 feet long. It took quite a while to get the bandsaw back in alignment after I got it set back up. But nothing was broken except my pride.

OK Bill (Lantry) ... you can take it from here. :wave:

So there I was, minding my own business, building a new lathe stand. Big old stand for a big old lathe. Heavy lathe. So heavy, that when the stand's finally ready, it's too heavy to lift myself.

So I call #3 Son. "Son," I say, "I know you think you're strong, but this thing's durned heavy. And delicate. And, frankly, more expensive than you!" ;)

"Don't worry, Doc," #3 Son says. "I can lift my end, no problem."

Now, the thing is sitting on the stand provided by the manufacturer. All we've got to do is lift it up about 12 inches, and move it over about three feet. Pick it up, take one step, slide it on to the stand.

It was that one step that nearly killed us. #3 Son stumbles. I try to correct. He goes for the save, trying to push it up onto the stand as he falls. It hits the edge of the wooden stand, and that's all she wrote.

He has the sense to let go, and falls away, clear, thank goodness. I hold on to my end. Have you ever been holding on to the end of a big heavy cast iron thing when the other end hits the concrete floor? It's an experience like no other! ;)

But I don't let go. Not me! I hold the sucker in a death-like grip! I never would have guessed that cast iron could bounce! Doesn't make sense when you think about it. But it did bounce, up just a little, and an inch or two over. Then it clanged again. Then *I* dropped it. :doh:

Yes, we eventually got it up onto the stand. It only wobbles a little now. I turn bowls on that lathe. But no spindles. And no pens! ;)

Want to hear about the time I thought it might be a good idea to roll my bandsaw out into the driveway? :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill