John Harts Wood

Well I ordered a bunch of wood, about 25 blanks from John Hart in 3 big boxes from his website. About 127 lbs worth of wood. Two were cherry, apple, ambrosia maple and hard maple. The third box was all walnut. Well here was a small piece of cherry he threw in. I turned this nice little NE from start to finish. The walls are 1/8" or just a hair thicker and is 8 1/4" X 7 1/2" X 2 1/2" tall. I then microwaved it for several minutes on the defrost cycle. After cooling I put it back on the lathe and sanded to finish. I have one coat of Antique Danish Oil on it. Will put one more coat on.

Attachments

• Cherry NE Bowl 1.jpg
    Cherry NE Bowl 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Cherry NE Bowl 2.jpg
    Cherry NE Bowl 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Cherry NE Bowl 3.jpg
    Cherry NE Bowl 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 18
Nice looking bowls there Bernie :thumb:

I like the natural, bark edges:D

Nice little NE Bernie! When it comes to coloration for an NE I sure do like fruitwoods but it's sure hard to keep them from cracking! Nicely done!

Nice little NE Bernie! When it comes to coloration for an NE I sure do like fruitwoods but it's sure hard to keep them from cracking! Nicely done!

Ken I am wondering at this point if drying it with several defrost cycles in the microwave immediately help save it from cracking. It was slightly out of round when I put it back on the lathe to sand. Otherwise I am really happy with it.

I turned a goblet from some wet cherry John Hart sent me. I turned it to nearly finished thickness....say 3/16" and then nuked it. When I got done, I rechucked made some slight changes to make it round again and finished it. No warping....no cracks.....?

Some of that same 4"x4" cherry cracked so bad it was fire wood.....same piece I cut the goblet from??????????? Quien sabe?

Thanks guys. I do appreciate it. Yep it turned out pretty well. I was pleased with it.

Steve, John has been pretty busy over on SMC with his Handy Kraft store and scooping snow. He got a ton of wood from those Amish folks that own a sawmill next door to him. Don't know if he has a e-mail from his website or not.