Pain

Stuart Ablett

Yep, I named this piece "Pain" as it was a "Pain" to rough out (lots of bark inclusions), it was a "Pain" to keep, as it dried out way to fast and checked like crazy, it was a "Pain" to work, as the mighty skew wanted to catch on EVERYTHING, it was a "Pain" to get a nice finish cut on the outside, as there is som much going on, it was a "Pain" to sand, as it was hard in some spots, soft in others, and moved around a fair bit........... yep it was a "Pain" :rolleyes: :D

pain1.JPG pain2.JPG pain3.JPG
Sorry, the pics suck, I'm getting my light tent set up soon!
More Ginko wood, it started as an exercise in using the skew, but the wood had so much going on, I had to finish it.

I'm not really pleased with the form, it's OK, but not really classic or elegant. The cap is walnut, hollowed out to about 1/8" thin, and boy is it flexible :eek:

Finished with two coats of sanding sealer, two coats of lacquer and then buffed and waxed.

About 8" tall I guess.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Yeah, it looks like that's a pretty wild piece of wood. I think I'm with you on the form, but as you said, it was a practice piece, and the only way to find out what you do and don't like is to try different things. Keep 'em coming!

Stu the wood looks very interesting. Looks like one of the pieces I may have had my eye on. ;)

Could be, there are several like it, but most have split in half where the bark inclusions were :dunno:

Here are some better pics.........

pain_1.jpg pain_2.jpg

Using window light and my photo tent.......

photo_tent.jpg

Cheers!

Could be, there are several like it, but most have split in half where the bark inclusions were :dunno:

Here are some better pics.........

View attachment 8357 View attachment 8358

Using window light and my photo tent.......

View attachment 8359

Cheers!
Much better. :thumb: It's much easier to see the sweet finish you have, and the form is more visible. If you could get a touch of light on top, it would better define the cap. A gray background would help do that, too. ;)

Thanks Vaughn

I'm still working on the lighting etc.

My lovely wife is going to make a sewn fit sheet for the whole thing, I'm thinking a cube, with the sixth side, a cut out, but also a curtain of sorts to drape over it.

What kind of bulbs are best, just normal incandescent?

Some kind of flood? Fluorescents?

Just wondering.

Cheers!

Stu I'll agree with you on both accounts....Not crazy about the form but that wood has so much going on it could hold a party by itself and the conversatioin would sound like a shouting match! Gorgeous wood and finish!

Even better...the light background show the caps more clearly.

For light bulbs, I've seen a number of recommendations for 5000[SIZE=-1]°[/SIZE] Kelvin compact flourescent daylight bulbs, so that's what I ended up buying. They are supposed to come close to emulating natural daylight. [SIZE=-1]5000[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]°[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] – 5500° Kelvin represents noonday sunlight. 2500[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]°[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] – 3000°K represent normal, indoor tungsten lighting, and 3200°K represents standard fluorescent. (The "daylight" incandescent bulbs are a bit better than regular incandescent, still don't have the 5000[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]° - 5500[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]° color temperature that's desirable.) Lacking those bulbs, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]you can often tweak the white balance in your camera to compensate for other (non-daylight) bulbs.[/SIZE] Check the automatic settings.

I found my bulbs on eBay. I just put them in some of the cheapie clamp-on light fixtures with the aluminum reflector. In hindsight, I should have spent the few extra bucks and gotten ones with bigger reflectors, so I'd be able to direct the light a bit better. I'd also like to be able to put a diffuser on the lights, but with the smaller reflectors, that's a bit tougher. Someday I'll pick up some bigger fixtures.