Which router for table?

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
What's everybody using in their router tables? Also, what do you like - or hate - about it?

I've been using an Hitachi M12V - with a Router Raizer - for about the past five or six years, and while it's got plenty of power, and good speed control, it does have several problems.

I just finished taking it apart to clean and re-lube the plunge mechanism because, once again, it's sticking and won't adjust.

Also, changing bits is a pain, since it uses one wrench and a spring-loaded holding mechanism. I do have the 'bent wrench' accessory wrench which makes it a little bit easier, but it's still a problem.

It's getting to be replacement time, so what I want is a ~3 hp router, with soft start and variable speed; table top adjustment; easy, above-the-table, bit changing; and a mouth opening that will accept up to a 3½" panel raising bit. Price is always a criteria, but $300 or so is not out of the question.

Okay folks, help me decide on a new router for the table!

Jim,

After getting to play with the smaller Triton router, I would say it's safe to say that the 3 1/4 router from Triton would be a great deal and matches up with everything you want.

Amazon doesn't have it in stock, but you can get it for about $300 at Router Table Depot. Also, I think they have the table mounting plate for it too.

Thanks Matt. I'll take a look at that one.

As for a plate, I won't be using one. The router will ne mounted directly to the underside of my Corian topped router table.

I am using the Milwaukee 5625 attached to a Woodpeckers aluminum plate.

Things that I like: The quality is top notch. I do not have to use a lift although you already have one. Above the table heigth adjustment although you do have to reach under the tabletop to lock it into place. The heigth adjustment is very smooth and accurate. It is red. I like red!!! Well, at least part of it is red.

Things that are netural to me: When you put it into your table you need to have it so that the lock lever for the heigth adjustment is in front and easy to get to and this places the on/off switch and the speed control toward the right rear. The on/off switch is no problem for me as I use an on/off foot switch that I attached to the cabinet and operate with my knee. I just listen for the speed that I need as I cannot read it without a mirror or lifting out the plate and router to make the adjustment. I use bent wrenches (offset wrenches) and change the bits above the table top. The Woodpecker plate makes this easy as the rings are very easy to slip out for a wide opening. I think that most people like to just drop the motor out of the housing and change the bits outside of the table. If this is your preference be sure to allow enough space below the tabletop.

Things that I hate about it: Nothing.

P.S. I just saw your response to Matt. You can just bolt the 5625 directly to your Corian tabletop and it will work great.

Last edited:
Hey Jim,
I think Matt's on the right track with the Triton. I haven't used it myself, but lots of the folks on the Festool forum get a Triton for their table. If Festool fanatics are going for the Triton over Festool, then it must be darned good.

Personally, I have a PC7538 in my table. It does the job, but I wind up skinning my knuckles every time I change bits.:huh:

5625 here. Love it. I own three other makes to compare it to. He wins. Been awhile but I think it was an Amazon deal at about $260 taxed and shipped. Laughs at raised panel bits. The only thing I wish it had was a brake. It takes quite a while to stop spinning with a large bit in it.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of router that you are going to decide on but if it is a Milwaukee I have found the best deals on them at HeavyDutyTools. I happened to think about this thread when I was looking for the 5616 dual base router and I notice the 5625. Great price but they are out of them. You can get on a list to be notified when they are back in stock. They are also out of stock on the 5616 dual base router so no luck for me there. They sell out really quick so you have to be on your toes.

http://www.heavydutytools.net/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=99

What's everybody using in their router tables? Also, what do you like - or hate - about it?

I've been using an Hitachi M12V - with a Router Raizer - for about the past five or six years, and while it's got plenty of power, and good speed control, it does have several problems...

Sometimes, decisions along this line can take a loooong time to reach; as a result, my best wishes for a speedy find...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62795&highlight=router+table

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PLEASE understand, Jim - I am just pointing out that some decisions may take longer than others.

Al

I am using the Milwaukee 5625 attached to a Woodpeckers aluminum plate.

Things that I like: The quality is top notch. I do not have to use a lift although you already have one. Above the table heigth adjustment although you do have to reach under the tabletop to lock it into place. The heigth adjustment is very smooth and accurate. ...

I looked at the Milwaukee yesterday, at Hartville Hardware, and was pretty impressed. It has nearly every feature I want, and is within - although at the very upper end - of my price range. I may end up getting that one.

Jim,

After getting to play with the smaller Triton router, I would say it's safe to say that the 3 1/4 router from Triton would be a great deal and matches up with everything you want...

Actually, it doesn't. It can't be adjusted from above the table. You coarse adjust it by turning one of the handles, and fine adjust it with a separate knob.

The place where Ilooked at it was closing out their whole stock of Triton. According to the department manager, they were talked into carrying them several years ago, and promised manufacturer/distributor support that never happened. He said they get a new catalog and an order blank every few months, but no on-site presence, and no participation in their open houses. They also don't (can't?) stock any parts, or provide any service for them, even though they're factory authorized service center for many other brands. That whole conversation pretty much turned me off the Triton - at least until I do a LOT more research.

I have been wondering what you decided on Jim. You may like to buy locally but if not keep an eye on heavydutytools. At least you have some places near to buy stuff like this. I have to order anything other than the general homeowner size of tools. Keep us informed, especially after you try out whatever you get.

Last edited:
Jim,

After getting to play with the smaller Triton router, I would say it's safe to say that the 3 1/4 router from Triton would be a great deal and matches up with everything you want.

Amazon doesn't have it in stock, but you can get it for about $300 at Router Table Depot. Also, I think they have the table mounting plate for it too.
Unless Triton has recently introduced a new 3.25 hp model, that router will not match everything that Jim wants. When I bought my Triton 2.25 hp router last winter I also looked at the 3.25 but found that it was an older design without many of the features supported by the 2.25.

The 2.25 hp Triton router will do almost everything that you want Jim. The only thing that it won't do in your list is to support a 3.5 inch panel bit. The maximum width bit supported by the 2.25 hp Triton is 3.125 inches. It certainly has enough power. I was worried that it would not so, before I bought the router, I tested the power on a friend's by routing a piece of oak using a 1.5 inch straight bit at a depth of over ½ inch on Rick Thom's router table. The router did this with absolutely no slow down. That’s sufficient power for any job that I can concieve throwing at a router. I bought the Triton 2.25 hp for $200 (Canadian) so the price is certainly right. Also, if you believe magazine tests at all (and I do a little bit), this router was the run away "winner" of the contest between table mounted routers in the Feb 2007 issue of Family Woodworking.

Hey Jim,
I think Matt's on the right track with the Triton. I haven't used it myself, but lots of the folks on the Festool forum get a Triton for their table. If Festool fanatics are going for the Triton over Festool, then it must be darned good.

Personally, I have a PC7538 in my table. It does the job, but I wind up skinning my knuckles every time I change bits.:huh:
I am one of those Festool fans, who uses the Triton 2.25 in my router table. I love my Festool 1400 router for hand-held work, but the Triton certainly bea
ts any of the Festool routers in a table.

Last edited:
The place where Ilooked at it was closing out their whole stock of Triton. According to the department manager, they were talked into carrying them several years ago, and promised manufacturer/distributor support that never happened. He said they get a new catalog and an order blank every few months, but no on-site presence, and no participation in their open houses. They also don't (can't?) stock any parts, or provide any service for them, even though they're factory authorized service center for many other brands. That whole conversation pretty much turned me off the Triton - at least until I do a LOT more research.
Jim, people that I know have had good experiences by contacting Triton USA directly, so I have no worries about parts and service. I have not had to do so myself.

Unfortunately, Al, they've (Keith) kicked me off Sawmill Creek, so I can only visit there as a guest, and cannot view pictures or post anything.

No problem, Jim. I can summarize as follows: One post asking if THE perfect hand-held router exists, for use very seldom. After 18 posts by people truly wanting to help, still going back and forth... This individual works with wood once every year to two years, so I am sure the decision would be a tough one.

In my reply post I suggested to just go and BUY a router (i.e., DECIDE), based on all the terrific input received. Hopefully, I helped the individual in some small way to reach a decision :thumb: .

Al

I use a 3HP Makita in a Rebel Table for my fixed router...and can handle most any jobs I need a table unit for...plenty of horsepower for any job...
although I have two other routers, I just acquired yet another router..this a
2.25HP Bosch Plunge combo set...and an extra D Handle...I have yet another Bosch router to use the D Handle on then have two fixed bases to sell...