I have (finally) decided on a table-mounted router

Frank Pellow

For the last two years, I have been dithering about whether or not to get a router table, a shaper, or neither. Then there are the follow on questions:
1) Which brand of router or shaper?

2) If a router, make or buy a table.

3) If buying a table, which one.​
Today I finally made these decisions.

Recently, I have been hearing really good things about the Triton 2.25 hp router.
Bill Esposito (who is my favourite reviewer) has a very thorough review of the router by at: http://nhwoodworker.com/triton2/index.html. He really likes it. And, in a recent review of table mounted routers in Fine Woodworking, it won hands down.

Today I Visited Rick Thom and tried out his 2.25 hp Triton router. The main thing that I had been concerned about was whether or not the router would have enough power. So, I tried routing a piece of oak using a 1.5 inch straight bit at a depth of over ½ inch on Rick's router table. The router did this with absolutely no slow down. That’s sufficient power for any job that I will be throwing at it.

The first thing that I did after leaving Rick’s was to visit the nearby Busy Bee Tools and purchase the router for $200 (Canadian). Rick has his router mounted on an inexpensive ($125 Canadian) router table top (model B1680N) from Busy Bee for which he has made a cabinet. That table top worked well for me today, so I decided to buy one of those as well. The only problem is that they are out of stock I have a deposit on a top that they tell me should arrive by the end of January. I think I will build some sort of rolling table that will accommodate the router table top, a spindle sander, and some sharpening equipment.

This turns out to be a gloat, so I need some pictures:

Here is one of the router:

Triton Router with the build of a suma wrestler -small.JPG

Someone in something I read said that the router reminded him of a Suma Wrestler and I can certainly see what that person means.

Here is a picture of the router and its myriad of accessories in it’s carrying case:

Triton Router in case -small.JPG

Congrats on the purchase!

I can tell by your post that you are excited about this addition to your shop.:clap: Be sure to let us know how you feel about it after your table arrives. I'm sure you will be pleased.

I guess depending on the type of lift you use, having a plunge router in a table might not be an issue.

I have only one router, a DeWalt 621 (previously an ELU), which is also a plunge. It is a great router, but the worst router for a table, although I used it in the router table extension of my contractor table saw I just sold. I would need to wrap the handle with string as it required a trigger to be depressed to turn it on, so it was not ideal, and yours will most likely handle that better.

For a 2 1/4 HP, I would probably lean towards the Millwakee fixed base, but that's me. I think a 3 HP is more desirable in a table, and having used a 2 1/4 HP in a table, I would certainly say that's a 3 HP would be a good thing. As long as you don't try to take too much in a single pass, 2 1/4 HP is fine. Not ideal for raised panels if you want to do that, IMO, but can work with patience.

EDIT: in looking at the picture of it in the case, it's pretty short, and that's a good thing for a table, IMO.

I guess depending on the type of lift you use, having a plunge router in a table might not be an issue.
Alan, no lift is needed. The router is designed for table use even though it is a plunge router. The bits can easily be changed with only one wrench about the table, and it is very easy to raise and lower the bits above the table. All, without a lift!

I have only one router, a DeWalt 621 (previously an ELU), which is also a plunge. It is a great router, but the worst router for a table, although I used it in the router table extension of my contractor table saw I just sold. I would need to wrap the handle with string as it required a trigger to be depressed to turn it on, so it was not ideal, and yours will most likely handle that better.
The Triton is a very different plunge router. Look at the review by Bill Esposito that I referenced in order to see what I mean by this.

For a 2 1/4 HP, I would probably lean towards the Millwakee fixed base, but that's me. I think a 3 HP is more desirable in a table, and having used a 2 1/4 HP in a table, I would certainly say that's a 3 HP would be a good thing. As long as you don't try to take too much in a single pass, 2 1/4 HP is fine. Not ideal for raised panels if you want to do that, IMO, but can work with patience.
I thought the router might be underpowered too, until I tested it today. I am sure that it has more power than I will ever need.

EDIT: in looking at the picture of it in the case, it's pretty short, and that's a good thing for a table, IMO.
Yep, it's a good thing!

Alan, no lift is needed. The router is designed for table use even though it is a plunge router. The bits can easily be changed with only one wrench about the table, and it is very easy to raise and lower the bits above the table. All, without a lift!

I have been eyeing those for the very reasons you mentioned! My PC does OK, but I'd like the additional HP. Congrats on the gloat and thanks for the review! That will probably be my next router!

Congrats on the new tool Frank

I'm curious about this comment

Today I Visited Rick Thom and tried out his 2.25 hp Triton router. The main thing that I had been concerned about was whether or not the router would have enough power. So, I tried routing a piece of oak using a 1.5 inch straight bit at a depth of over ½ inch on Rick's router table. The router did this with absolutely no slow down. That’s sufficient power for any job that I will be throwing at it.​

I was of the opinion that lighter cuts are desirable when routing, less chance of tearing things up and/or breaking a bit. Would it be common practice to route something this big (1.5 in diameter) that deep in one pass?

I don't think I've ever seen a straight cutting router bit that was that large in diameter, but then, I"ve never done a complete survey of what appear to be THOUSANDS of bits on display at a woodworking show! :D

Or are you talking about a 1/2" in diameter bit that is 1 1/2" long that you used to route a 1/2" deep dado?

It is late, I'm obviously tired and confused........ help me out here!

Jay

Jay

Congrats on the new tool Frank

I'm curious about this comment

Today I Visited Rick Thom and tried out his 2.25 hp Triton router. The main thing that I had been concerned about was whether or not the router would have enough power. So, I tried routing a piece of oak using a 1.5 inch straight bit at a depth of over ½ inch on Rick's router table. The router did this with absolutely no slow down. That’s sufficient power for any job that I will be throwing at it.​

I was of the opinion that lighter cuts are desirable when routing, less chance of tearing things up and/or breaking a bit. Would it be common practice to route something this big (1.5 in diameter) that deep in one pass?

I don't think I've ever seen a straight cutting router bit that was that large in diameter, but then, I"ve never done a complete survey of what appear to be THOUSANDS of bits on display at a woodworking show! :D

Or are you talking about a 1/2" in diameter bit that is 1 1/2" long that you used to route a 1/2" deep dado?

It is late, I'm obviously tired and confused........ help me out here!

Jay

Jay
Jay the bit has a diameter of 1.5 inches. I would not normally cut a groove this deep with that bit in only one pass. I was trying to put the router under stress in order to see if it had sufficient power. It did!

Congrats on the new router and soon-to-be table, Frank. I wondered when you were going to finally pull the trigger. ;) I've read good things about the Triton, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I think you'll also be glad to have a router table at your disposal. It sure does come in handy for me.

The Triton is a very different plunge router. Look at the review by Bill Esposito that I referenced in order to see what I mean by this.
I will say it's certainly different. It looks like a good router...stout and powerful.
I thought the router might be underpowered too, until I tested it today. I am sure that it has more power than I will ever need.
And you would definitely know that best for yourself.;) It certainly looks like a good tool, no question about that.:thumb:

Well I got my first piece of Triton Orange stuff today, but it was not that router.

I VERY much like the Triton router, I also VERY much like their cordless drill.

If I ever wear out the Hitachi M12 I have, the Triton will be at the top of my list!

Congrats Frank! :thumb:

Frank:
Congrats on the new router.

Why did you choose to go with the router, lift, table arrangement vs a shaper.

Cost wise some shapers are a lot less than the other way. i.e Shop Fox.

Are there any advantages of the router/lift/table?

thanks joe

Joe, I'm not Frank, but one think to think about is the cost of the cutters. I would bet that Frank, like a lot of us, already has a fair bit of cash invested in good 1/2" shank router bit sets.........?

Just one thing to add to the reasons why....

Cheers!

Joe, I'm not Frank, but one think to think about is the cost of the cutters. I would bet that Frank, like a lot of us, already has a fair bit of cash invested in good 1/2" shank router bit sets.........?

Just one thing to add to the reasons why....

Cheers!

Hi stu:

This is the reason for my question. Shop Fox has a $300 ish shaper with a cast iron table and fence and it accepts 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch bits.

Joe

Frank:
Congrats on the new router.

Why did you choose to go with the router, lift, table arrangement vs a shaper.

Cost wise some shapers are a lot less than the other way. i.e Shop Fox.

Are there any advantages of the router/lift/table?

thanks joe
Joe, first of all, there is no lift if the mix. A seperate lift is not needed with the Triton 2.25.

The main reason was cost. The total cost (including taxes) of the router, table top and fence was $375 (Canadian). Throw in a generous $120 for the material to make a table and the cost is still under $500. I already have a good supply of quality 1/2" router bits as well as a few 8mm bits and even some 1/4 bits. The cheapest shaper, feader, and beginning shaper head set that I found and that I liked was approaching $2,000 (again Canadian) in cost.

Another reason is space. I am running out of it in my shop. I plan to build the router into a mobile cart that also accomodates sanding and sharpening equipment and that I have a spot in mind for and a shaper would not fit into that spot.

The last reason is portability. I do a lot of off-site work and a router table on site will come in very handy.

Morning Frank...

I checked out the Triton 2 1/2 HP router last week-end. Nice piece of work! Now if I didn't have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP with with on-board above the table adjustment already mounted in my table.. and the DW 621 (not a good table mount as mentioned but an excellent plunge) as my hand-held plunge.. and the Bosch fixed base used for non plunge.. and my original Craftsmans 1 1/2 HP I bought in 1973 mounted with a laminate trim bit.....

Well..... I would purchase one and almost did before my lovely wife pointed out I didn't need 5 routers. The "ahhhh, but honey" pleas didn't get me anywhere either. What are women thinking? ha.. ha...

Excellent choice Frank, as if I didn't have any routers and wanted one that could be used for both table and hand-held plunge and straight cuts.. the Triton 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 would be my choice.

Regards...

JT.. sarge

Sounds great Frank.

Keep us updated on your new table plans

Wow, I saw one of these in the flesh, err...I mean metal, and ooo-la-la...this is a real bruiser. The person's shop I saw it at loves it and had nothing but good things to say, and I was impressed with the stoutness and quality in general.

Quite a nice router, good choice Frank. I would definitely put this on my list of tools to buy, should I want to replace my DW621. I wish I had more time that I could have played wtih it, but it does seem to have quite a bit of power.