don't know bowl

This is a bowl i made yesterday out of a small tree i cut down a few weeks ago. I ruffed turned it at the time soaked in dna and wraped in brown bag till yesterday.Not real sure about it but thought i'd post anyway.The last pic is the wood and the leafs if any one can help with the id. I looked in my book but can't find anything that matches. Thanks as always
Steve

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 007 [800x600].JPG
    007 [800x600].JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 008 [800x600].JPG
    008 [800x600].JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 57
I'm in agreement with the others on the wood being maple. I don't think there should be any doubt about it. The bowl you are showing is beautiful. By the swirly graing and other movement that is going on there, I would say that you've gotten into the root material. Wonderful stuff as the grain forgets its long, straight patterns of trunk and limb, and begins to flow about freeform, ready to move nutrients up and down the tree and store food for another time. Sure makes beautiful bowls as you are showing us here.

Looks like "free" maple to me. :D

Sure does make a pretty bowl though, doesn't it? :thumb:
Mark thanks.I really like these kind of bowls but the wife ain't so sure:huh:
another vote for maple!! and nice bowl steve!!! the contrasting color of the inclusions and the creamy white is great..
Larry thanks also. I was thinking maple also but my book don't show the leafs looking just like these.:huh:

I vote for the bowl. Whatever the wood but i agree maple and I just love maple.:):thumb:

Rob thanks.Where i was born in North east Pa we had a lot of sugar maple, so if this maple it's a different kind. Still the rest of the tree is laying on the ground so i guess i'll head down back and drag it up here.:thumb:

Nice bowl Steve! I like the rustic look! I believe the wood is Sycamore. The leaves in your pic are a dead ringer.

well i just went out and looked at some of my maples and i got sycamore down the hill but i cant get close to the leaves:rolleyes: but i think barry might be right. steve did the parent tree have a strange looking bark like smooth and gray then some scaly bark and then smooth again ? if so then barry is right. but if not then i will stay with maple:) the wood grain doesnt look sycamore to me but barry knows trees too:)

Nice bowl Steve! I like the rustic look! I believe the wood is Sycamore. The leaves in your pic are a dead ringer.
Thanks Barry i like the rustic look also.
Great looking bowl. Really like the wood which looks like maple to me.
Thanks Bernie

well i just went out and looked at some of my maples and i got sycamore down the hill but i cant get close to the leaves:rolleyes: but i think barry might be right. steve did the parent tree have a strange looking bark like smooth and gray then some scaly bark and then smooth again ? if so then barry is right. but if not then i will stay with maple:) the wood grain doesnt look sycamore to me but barry knows trees too:)
Larry a friend of mine came over a little bit ago.As he has worked in the woods a lot of his life,and knows the native trees real well,i asked him.Well he laughed at me, and informed me it was sweetgum. Now as he knows better than me i think i'll go with his guess.:thumb:

Well, whatever kind of wood it is, it came out nice. :thumb:
Thanks
Harunph! If you google the leaves of sweetgum and sycamore, you tell me which your leaves look more like?
Berry i just googled bouth and i'm not sure.The leafs inho look more like a star.I'll get down in the woods when i get home from work and look into it a little better.

Hmmm. I've turned sweet gum before, but it was always spalted. I dunno bout this one. Guess it could be though.
Doug this tree was just a small one with the root sticking up out of the ground.In the pic you see the knot (or what ever you call it) of the root.That is what i was after.I looked a little yesterday and we found a number of small ones and one large one.that is what Chuck based his findings on.