Windows 10

Frank Fusco

For some time I have been getting warning notices that my browser, IE9, is out of date and I need to upgrade to Win. 10. I don't mind, but when following the links I find that I am able to get Win. 10 "free". The hitch is I must get a new computer with 10 on it or one that is upgradable to 10. I ain't happy about that. :(
Be like being told my truck tires need replacing and I can get them "free" but I have to buy a new truck to get the tires that are attached to it.:bang:

In fairness to the industry it is more like being told that the new fuel efficient transverse mounted V-6 will not fit in your 1972 Ford F-150 :). In the Microsoft world before XP, Windows changed every few years. Very often with the difficulty of outdated driver support and so forth. Windows XP was viable for so long there are entire generations of PC users who never knew anything else. Having to suddenly upgrade hardware is a shock.

However, we do have a lot of systems that pass the compatibility test only to fail to upgrade to a usable machine; video, sound and network drivers fail. So if yours does not pass the compatibility test I would think that it is really not a candidate. Sorry about that. We do have systems running Pentium D processors from 2005 that upgraded with only minor video driver issues. How old is your machine?

Personally, I loved good ol' XP. It was a good and relatively stable platform for computer work. Again please note I said computer work. I am currently running 7. I build my own machines from the ground up. Then I know what I am getting. It's actually not a difficult task. I took the free upgrade to 10 that comes with 7. Had that pesky little window popping up and telling me to go do it so I did. Could not get it off my machine fast enough. I know it's the trend that all the younger folks love where everything is app based like on them stupid phones. But it seems to me that every time Microsoft says they are making it better and faster, it seems to be the opposite. Faster? Maybe. Better. NO! I do not have a solution for this but I guess I am eventually gonna have to upgrade to the app crap and be quite about it. Might as well be quiet because Microsoft sure isn't going to listen to me. I actually thought about getting rid of windows and going with a different operating system altogether.

I got forced into Win 10 because my computer died and I needed a replacement. My wife and I each had a laptop that we used as desktops and a notebook that we used when we needed something portable. The laptops had Win 7 on them and the notebooks had Win 8. When mine died, I got an all-in-one with Win 10. I'm glad I'd been using Win 8 so I was used to the App situation. I was pleasantly surprised though that all the software I had CDs for loaded right up and ran first time including MS Office 2010, PaintShop Pro, and Quicken 2010. I wasn't looking forward to buying them again.

I'm delaying upgrading the others, though. My wife's laptop has some old quilting software on it that took a phone call for each program to the help line to find out how to load it on Win 7. I can't imagine how tough it will be to get it to work on Win 10.

I'm getting used to Win 10, but won't say I like it. Win 7 was about my favorite.

If it's the Windows start button you all are missing, give the Start 10 app a try (30 day trial, or $4.99 to purchase). It adds the Windows 7 start button back with all of it's menu options. I used their version for Windows 8 as well and really forget that I'm in windows 10 (or 8) for the most part.

I've 'switched' to Linux mint on my home machine. I put the switched in quotes, because there are a few apps, like Vectric that I need windows to run.

So, My machine is really a dual boot machine. I also have a virtual win 7 machine that I can run in Linux and access the apps. So I'm not really free.

but if you find the win 10 reminders annoying, there is GWX Control panel available at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ that will help to keep M$oft from reminding you to upgrade.

Are you running Windows Vista? I'm guessing you are, because Windows NT only supports IE versions up to 8, where are Vista only supports up to version 9 of IE. Vista is about 9 years old, which is a pretty long run in the operating system world. If you're not in a position to upgrade, then you don't have much choice but to ignore the pop-up messages and just carry on with what you've got.

I've 'switched' to Linux mint on my home machine. I put the switched in quotes, because there are a few apps, like Vectric that I need windows to run.

So, My machine is really a dual boot machine. I also have a virtual win 7 machine that I can run in Linux and access the apps. So I'm not really free.

but if you find the win 10 reminders annoying, there is GWX Control panel available at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ that will help to keep M$oft from reminding you to upgrade.

Oh man Brent thank you thank you thank you, i am indebted to you for sharing that link. And the Ultimate outsider blogger needs a nobel prize for standing up for our rights. Man when will companies learn to respect user choice.

I keep thinking back to word, how i still use word the same way i did the very first time yet they keep pushing new versions with essentially zero increase in benefits for what i see the majority of users use it for. I have paid repeatedly for the upgrades just to be able to work with clients that have been forced down the same path for the same mediocre benefits or NOT benefits of having to learn where they put what all over again. Wish they would just let us use our computers and get on with something truly new and innovative.

Thanks Frank had you not brought up your troubles i would still be battling good old MS in my refusal to upgrade to windows 10 battle. What a huge waste of time they causing. Some day some company is going to come along with an true alternative and they just dont realize the ill will they have been building up, that day MS shareholders be ware, the cards will fall. Long live the techies that defeat these guys. Its a continuous battle of David and Goliath. I got a few more leaches in my computer that i would like to get rid of but it gets stale fast spending time rooting out the working solutions. So Brent thanks again you saved a lot more than more gray hair for me.

Now i need a tip to get rid of Handy Andy Android Emulator :(

Are you running Windows Vista? I'm guessing you are, because Windows NT only supports IE versions up to 8, where are Vista only supports up to version 9 of IE. Vista is about 9 years old, which is a pretty long run in the operating system world. If you're not in a position to upgrade, then you don't have much choice but to ignore the pop-up messages and just carry on with what you've got.

Yep. I think Jimmy Carter was still in office when I got this one. ;) It is about 10 years old and running Vista. I added memory when I got it and my hard drive is only about 20% used. I'm going to download a Vista update and start shopping but brand-new high horsepower is not in the budget right now. Oh, well.

Yep. I think Jimmy Carter was still in office when I got this one. ;) It is about 10 years old and running Vista. I added memory when I got it and my hard drive is only about 20% used. I'm going to download a Vista update and start shopping but brand-new high horsepower is not in the budget right now. Oh, well.

Understood. ;) Wooden hard drive and vacuum tube memory, right? Sounds like some we've got at work. I haven't looked into it, but I think you may find Chrome or Firefox have more current browsers that will still run on Vista. (And quite likely run faster and with fewer problems than IE...IE is a dog in a lot of respects.)

Understood. ;) Wooden hard drive and vacuum tube memory, right? Sounds like some we've got at work. I haven't looked into it, but I think you may find Chrome or Firefox have more current browsers that will still run on Vista. (And quite likely run faster and with fewer problems than IE...IE is a dog in a lot of respects.)

Google Chrome has announce end of support for the Chrome browser in April 2016, but firefox/mozilla will continue support it. You'll just be open to any Vista vulnerabilities that may happen after that support ends since they won't be creating fixes for it anymore.

A new computer is probably in my future. Even my Yahoo home page freezes almost every time I try to use it. Wal-Mart has an Aspire tower/keyboard/mouse only set-up for under $250.00 and we get a 10% discount. But, I'm going to shop their on-line offers first. They sell reconditioned items very reasonably. Worth a look. Amazon has also been a reliable source for me with reconditioned stuff at super low prices.

You might try this place for a refurbished computer. http://www.newegg.com I know the name sounds funny, but I have bought all kinds of stuff from them and they are quite reliable. Just make sure when you are buying parts that you make sure whether it is a bare unit or has all the goodies with it. They sell both. I always buy the bare unit as I don't need their software. As you said Amazon is good as well. Have fun. Like Vaughn I don't like IE much. Too loaded with frills to be effective. Give me a more bare bones browser and I am a happy camper. Well, sort of. Firefox is a good solid browser. I prefer it over all of them.

Frank can you specify what you use the computer for. Not trying to be funny but a great deal has changed in recent times and if you only using it to browse the web there are several options open to you that may be cheaper and leave you better off for the future.
Also what sort of internet connection do you have ?
Do you do much writing on the computer as in use some form of word processor for documents etc.
It would be worthwhile just listing what u use it for and what you want to use it for as life moves on.
This way some of us might be able to provide you with alternative options that may make a better use of scarce funds and take into account the future.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I bought a 13" chromebook last year and don't think I'll ever buy a windows computer again. Fast boot up, upgrades are just a 2 minute reboot and I can do work stuff in google drive. Usually it will convert to MS office just fine. All I really use it for is web surfing, email and watching movies/sports. $150 on sale...haven't priced them lately but I know there are several under $200.

I'm kinda in the same boat as Frank (or least the same type of boat)... I'm running a 12 year old Dell with XP loaded on it... I've long since dropped IE and the windows office apps... I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, Thunderbird as my e-mail and Open Office for word and spreadsheet processing. No support for XP any more, never liked Vista, Wife's computer runs 7 which I find frustrating, my step son tried 8, used it for a week and bought a copy of 7 to reboot his lap top.... I don't like lap tops, but may have to go that route in the future. My Dell has already crashed once and had to go to a Ubuntu format to recover my data files, then reload the XP on the tower... thank goodness that I have a son who's a professional computer geek.

A new computer may be in the future, but I'm comfortable with this one and hate the thought of having to upgrade.

Jeff you nailed it. I did not want to come out and say what to buy direct, but for members that are in this situation a tablet could well be a blessing for oh so many reasons. Couple of big ones being space and mobility.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My wife and I both have Nexus tablets. Can do just about anything we need to do email, web browsing, surfing the web and whatever. Printing on remote printer. Does not download Windows apps but get by pretty well. In the past have had lap top and desk computer which have died a peaceful death. Don't miss them at all. Compact and just sit in my lap and punch away. Also takes decent pictures. More goodies than I use.
Would recommend the tablet as inexpensive computer.
David