A Hook Tool...........first try......

Stuart Ablett

Well, I got around to finally making a hook tool, I think it went somewhat well........... sort of....... :rolleyes:

hook_tool_top.jpg hook_tool_bottom.jpg
Top and bottom view

hook_tool__side.jpg hook_tool__side2.jpg
Side views.

The problem is............. I made it the wrong way round :doh:

Here is a Hook Tool in use.........

ht_in_use1.JPG ht_in_use2.JPG

So, I guess I'll have to make another one :rolleyes: :D

Oh well, a good lesson at least!

Cheers!

I don't think I've see a hook tool before. Looks like it could be real handy. How catch-prone is it?

BTW...nice job, McGyver. :thumb: :D

I think there is a definate learing curve to them, but hey, the same can be said about a bowl gouge......... right Frank......... :rolleyes: ;) :D

I made this one backwards, so I'll make another one, I also made it way too big, so I'll try again:thumb:

Tod, I will try that for sure, but then I think it puts it the wrong way round as well.

Got to get my bent head around this........ :eek: :doh:

Something admirable about making your own tools. Satisfying too. I have never seen, or heard, of one of those for turning. It's not unlike some woodcarving and bowl carving tools. Yep, yer right. Impossible to use bowl gouges, they just don't work. ;) Get in production with your hooks. Make lots of money and get famous.

Nice, Stu. Only "The problem is............. I made it the wrong way round"

Hmmm... that's the kind of thing *I* would do... ;)

I remember making some complicated boneheaded thing onetime, and not being able to get some piece to fit. Called Doorlink out to the shop, who took one look, started laughing, and said "William, you made it exactly backwards!" ;)

So, what kind of steel did you use?

Thanks,

Bill

I used some high carbon drill rod to make this, seems to hold a decent edge, but I really want to get some HSS, just got to find a place that sells it.

Cheers!

I used some high carbon drill rod to make this, seems to hold a decent edge, but I really want to get some HSS, just got to find a place that sells it.

Cheers!
Stu,

Try to dig up a piece of truck axle, or a coil spring from suspension of a car/truck will also work well. The coil springs are great for tool steel, and should work fine for a hook.

Be careful on the steel you buy, much of the HSS is really hard to work properly and will crack as you forge it. DAMHIKT! I think you're better off with good 'ol high carbon steel like a coil spring or axle, the coil spring being the preferred in this case, IMO, as it's smaller to start with.

With a coil spring, heat it and straighten it out, and cut it into sections. I think you can use your small torch to do that.

Thanks Alan, I did not think of a spring, I have some motorcycle springs laying around here somewhere, they are anywhere from an 1/8" thick to 3/8" thick.

The HSS I want to get is not for forging, more for making Skewchigouges and bent hollowing tools, also I'm looking at buying a length of rectangular HSS, M2 stuff, 1/2" thick, by 1" wide and 2 meters long :eek: Yeah, not cheap, they want about $190 for it, but I figure I can get six 13" long pieces out of it, that would give me some STONKING HD scrapers and a nice skew or two for a couple of hundred bucks, not bad, I think:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Thanks Alan, I did not think of a spring, I have some motorcycle springs laying around here somewhere, they are anywhere from an 1/8" thick to 3/8" thick.
Stu, I think those would be PERFECT!
The HSS I want to get is not for forging, more for making Skewchigouges and bent hollowing tools, also I'm looking at buying a length of rectangular HSS, M2 stuff, 1/2" thick, by 1" wide and 2 meters long :eek: Yeah, not cheap, they want about $190 for it, but I figure I can get six 13" long pieces out of it, that would give me some STONKING HD scrapers and a nice skew or two for a couple of hundred bucks, not bad, I think:rolleyes:

Cheers!
I would try those motorcycle springs, the 3/8" stuff might not be too bad to use, IMO. 1/8" is a big small. Get a truck coil spring for more mass. I think this type of steel would hold an edge well.

Stu,

Here's a knife that was forged from a coil spring. It's not done, but has been cleaned up on a sand stone wheel. This used about 2" of 5/8" coil spring.

(linky pic for visually impaired)

Arkansas is famous for it's bladesmiths, both forged and stock removal types. The most popular steel for their blades is truck springs. I believe Googling would bring up the type. Or, if someone wants, I can make inquiries.

Frank,

My understanding is that most any coil springs are good tool steel, and need to be in order to handle the stress/force applied to a coil spring in the suspension of a vehicle.

My blacksmith instructor uses coils of all types, cuts the coils to seperate, then straightens in the forge. Most knives don't require that much steel, although my instructor does some large celtic type swords that do require quite a bit more.

Files and rasps are also good tool steel to use, any old Nicholson files are fine, and if you can find old farrier rasps, those are great to forge also. I remember there's a horse racing area down off the train that heads out of Hamumatsucho to Narita. That might be a good area to find old farrier rasps, ask one of the farriers nicely.;)

Frank,

My understanding is that most any coil springs are good tool steel, and need to be in order to handle the stress/force applied to a coil spring in the suspension of a vehicle.

My blacksmith instructor uses coils of all types, cuts the coils to seperate, then straightens in the forge. Most knives don't require that much steel, although my instructor does some large celtic type swords that do require quite a bit more.

Files and rasps are also good tool steel to use, any old Nicholson files are fine, and if you can find old farrier rasps, those are great to forge also. I remember there's a horse racing area down off the train that heads out of Hamumatsucho to Narita. That might be a good area to find old farrier rasps, ask one of the farriers nicely.;)

I agree, those are all good steels for knives. And usually can be found free in scrap piles. I was just relating what the masters use. They do have very stringent requirements for knife performance so the steel must be very good.
http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ABS_MSTest.htm