Just another woodworker from B.C. Canada

Sorry for not introducing myself earlier, didn't scroll down far enough :doh:

See some others from B.C. posting but they are all from the big cities. LOL. I am from the small town in the interior of the province (Sicamous) so I might have to explain even to them where I am! Sicamous is a summer resort town and in that respect I fit right in as I own a summer resort. All my woodworking needless to say is done in the off season months. That works out fine for me as it makes a nice break.

Married 35 years, 2 daughters, one married (hey first grandson last Aug) and the other daughter headed off to college but taking her own sweet time about it. What does "I need a break before carrying on" mean? :huh:

Woodworking became a passion of mine about 15 yrs ago but was awkward because I never had a "real shop". 10 yrs ago I said enough is enough and took over half of the 32x26 ft garage that sits on the property and built myself a shop. Now it is my second home unless there is a hockey game in Kelowna or Salmon Arm which are both close by. Woodworking and hockey, what more can you ask for? :thumb:

As far as the woodworking is concerned I build a lot of furniture both deck and home. I don't contract out because that to me takes all the fun out of it. Just build it and if we can't use it ask someone if they would like it. I certainly don't want to give you the impression this is high production! I just have fun at it and like I said before just enjoy being in the shop. :thumb:

Thanks for "listening". My wife says that I am long winded, do you believe her? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the family. Nice to have you on board and yes I know where Sicamous is. I did a job a few years back up at the head of Seymor arm. I Rebuilt the government ramp. Spent many a night in Salmon arm.

Drew

Hi Rob!

I'm originally from Kelowna, born and raised there, moved to Tokyo just over 17 years ago.

One of my Grandfathers lived in Armstrong, we used to go with him up to Salmon Arm all the time in the Summer, he just loved Mabel Lake.

When I was a kid, we lived in Canoe for a year or so, just down the road from you.

Do you head to Kelowna to watch the Rockets? One of my aunts is a real dyed in the wool Rocket fan.

Nice to see you here, welcome to the Family!

Last edited:
Know all the areas that you are talking about very well. Canoe was the old "stomping grounds" when I was younger. :), going back a few years mind you! Diehard Rockets fan, have season tickets. Dispite the 140 mile round trip have missed only 2 games this year. Quite a few times we will stay overnight if we don't feel like driving back or if there is 2 games back to back. Love Kelowna, could live there in a heartbeat.

Rob Welcome
Everybody seems to know where you live. I would have to get a map to see where.......if it is as small as you say it may not printed on the map. :rofl:

PS.
If you get down to this neck of the woods
The Coffee Pot Is On

Thank you Drew. Salmon Arm is actually my home town, born and raised there. They wouldn't put you up in the Seymour Arm hotel? Laughing. Do you remember who was running it at the time? I know the place very well.

Rob we stayed at the old original light house ( now a private b&b ) at the head of the arm run by an old geologist. ( I have a pic with him in it that I will dig out, maybe you know him?) He inherited it from his dad. He was a wealth of info and old stories from the area and every night after work he would sit and tell us all about the area. Just wish that I could remember them all. It was just before the house boat season began so I guess that made it off season so the hotel was closed. It was pretty cool as this b&b had a snooker table that dated back to the 1800's with the old original clay balls. It floored me when he said play some games as that is what they are there for. Yea and we played lots of snooker. I dated a girl a few years back that had friends in Salmon arm that ran an emu farm.

Gee ... it sounds like my dad and I took a wrong turn at Revelstoke on [Day 5] (<-- Click for that day's map) of our motorcycle trip to BC back in 2003.

Am I to understand that Skookumchuck and Radium :)eek:) Hot Springs and Beavermouth weren't the end-alls they were cracked up to be? :doh: Now I'll have to plan another trip just to see Sicamous and Salmon Arm...! :wave:

Last edited:
Gee ... it sounds like my dad and I took a wrong turn at Revelstoke on [Day 5] of our motorcycle trip to BC back in 2003.

Am I to understand that Skookumchuck and Radium :)eek:) Hot Springs and Beavermouth weren't the end-alls they were cracked up to be? :doh: Now I'll have to plan another trip just to see Sicamous and Salmon Arm...! :wave:

If you decide to take that trip Kelly you will have to stop in and see us. If it is a hot day all I can offer you is a "refreshment" and a swim in Mara Lake.:) If you were in Revelstoke you were only 45 miles east of where I am.

Drew I believe you are talking about the Collins house in Seymour Arm. They were very early settlers in the area. Magnificent house, have been through it on more then one occasion. My grandfather was a very good friend of theirs.

Rob - Welcome to the Family! Has to be great to have so many know the area where you are from! Sounds like an absolutely beautiful part of the world! Again - Welcome - looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Welcome aboard, Rob. :wave: Always glad to have another Canuck in the mix. :thumb:

For an uneducated U.S. guy...what does "arm" mean in the context you guys are using it? Is it a geographical term?

Vaughn I copied this from the Shuswap lakes web site as It explains it better than I could. The Shuswap Lake system is composed of several 'arms' and lakes: Little Shuswap Lake, Shuswap Lake, Salmon Arm, Seymour Arm, Anstey Arm and Mara Lake. Little Shuswap is connected to Shuswap Lake by the Little River. At the western end of Shuswap Lake, you will see the influx of the Adam's River from Adam's Lake. This river is where the Adam's River sockeye salmon return every year. Every four years there is a major run where the sockeye return by the millions. This run is the largest sockeye salmon run in the world. October 2002 was the date for the latest big run. The next one will be 2006. There is also a sockeye spawning site at the mouth of Scotch Creek (August) as well. Various species of salmon spawn in many creeks and rivers throughout the lake region at various times in the fall. Among the many sites are the Momich River at Adam's Lake, the Upper Adam's River at Adam's Lake, the Salmon River at Salmon Arm, and the Shuswap River at Mara Lake.

The Shuswap Lakes system is well-known for houseboating and water sports. With over 1000kms of shoreline, the Shuswap Lakes are the top houseboating destination in Canada. The town of Sicamous is known as the "Houseboat Capital of Canada". Recreational enthusiasts will want to visit the many provincial and regional parks located along the Shuswap Lakes. There are many hiking trails to explore, and opportunity for camping in parks and provincial recreation sites located on the various fishing lakes and creeks in the area. During the winter, explore the surrounding mountains by cross-country ski or snowmobile.

Drew...almost hate to bring this thread back to the top again. Remeber Gordon Mackie? He ran the ferry up the lake for many years. Was talking to him today and he said that if you weren,t at the the Collins house you probably stayed with Bradley or Daniels. Shultz was around close to that time (he owned the Hotel) but he thinks that is after your stay. Interesting history. Did you work for the Dept of Fisheries?

Drew...almost hate to bring this thread back to the top again. Remeber Gordon Mackie? He ran the ferry up the lake for many years. Was talking to him today and he said that if you weren,t at the the Collins house you probably stayed with Bradley or Daniels. Shultz was around close to that time (he owned the Hotel) but he thinks that is after your stay. Interesting history. Did you work for the Dept of Fisheries?

Hey Rob, When we were there it was before the season had gotten underway and the hotel was closed as was the ferry system. We had to drive up there on the logging road as the ferry dock was unusable at the time. I will dig out some of the pics that I took this weekend that I have of the owner of the place we stayed and a local guy that was giving us a hand as well as the job itself. With the pic I am sure it will be easy for you to put the names to the faces. Some of those names sound familiar but it was a long time ago and we were only there for two weeks. I was working for a company called Online Const. out of Vancouver. They had a huge yellow van we affectionatly called bigbird. We had been doing sub contracting work for the DFO and had just finished doing a job at Sheer water across from Bella Bella.