Facebook dillema

Frank Fusco

OK, admittedly, I'm an old timer trying to stay up with new ideas. I haven't, and probably won't, embrace IPods, IPhones, game thingys, texting or apps. But, I have embraced the Internet for communications and information. But, now I have been drawn into an Internet world that has me flummoxed. (can I say "flummoxed" here? :eek: )
It is Facebook. I know folks, grown adults with high intellect who say that Facebook is the social networking world of the times. If I figure out what "social networking" means, I might agree with them. ;)
I check and use it occasionally. My son and daughter put news on there they don't always tell us. But, to read other posts like: "I just brushed my teeth, now I'm going to make coffee and later will go to Wal-Mart", just leave me wondering why I am wasting my time at Facebook at all.
Lately, the 'friends' thing has created a real conflict for me. Some true friends and relatives want me to join on as 'friends'. I always thought my son was a friend and don't understand why I need to verify that on some Internet site. :huh: Oh, well.
Other folks who want to be my Facebook friends are really welcome and I sign them on readily.
But, some are people I only slightly know as current e-friends. Not signing them on could be a slight and I don't want to offend them. OTOH, I really don't want a score of folks I have only small interest in writing me and expecting a response.
What to do? :dunno:
Am I an old fud stumbling along behind the curve?
It's a conundrum. (can I say 'conundrum' here? :eek: ) ;)

Ya ain't alone, frank. I'm not sure I've reached fud status, but i sure am a stick in the mud with stuff like this.

Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, blubber, toodles, litter ... none of it makes any dang sense to me at all.

I'm actually trying very hard not to think poorly of some people I highly respect for having conversations like "Did you see my new shirt? I posted about it on Facebook!" These are important people who otherwise command great respect - I don't want to think less of them, but man ... who the heck cares?!?!

It's an unfortunate reflection of our society, I think. Everybody seems to want to be ... i dunno ... on display? Is it an attention-seeking behavior?

"Look at me! Look at me!" You know what, go siddown. When someone wants to look at you, they will. :zzz:

It's just ... shallow. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but this stuff just reeks of self-absorption.

Yeah - I'm with you. I just don't get it. :huh::dunno::huh::dunno::huh::dunno:

Frank,

It's already too late. Just asking this question means you're done for. You WILL be assimilated!

Yes, teenagers use these things in teenage ways. Yes, there are some 'adults' who are still teenagers inside (why anyone would be nostalgic for high school is beyond me!). But there are actually adults who use these things in adult ways... ;)

I bet in thirty days you'll be merrily posting updates on your wall about you'll get done in the shop that afternoon! ;)

And your family and friends will all be commenting!

Thanks,

Bill

Frank, I too hear you, the only reason I got on Facebook was to keep in touch with my buddy who deployed to Iraq, he had spotty internet service at best, and foudn facebook to be the best way for him to keep in touch with everyone.

On a positive note, I've been able to reconnect with several friends from back home that I'd lost touch with over the 20 years I've been here, that was a big bonus for me.

I'll bet your father or grandfather felt the same way about the telephone :D

Frank, I too hear you, the only reason I got on Facebook was to keep in touch with my buddy who deployed to Iraq, he had spotty internet service at best, and foudn facebook to be the best way for him to keep in touch with everyone.

On a positive note, I've been able to reconnect with several friends from back home that I'd lost touch with over the 20 years I've been here, that was a big bonus for me.

I'll bet your father or grandfather felt the same way about the telephone :D

Are yu callin' me a stuck in the past fud? :( ;)

Hello frank,

I've turned down dozens of friends suggestions, and one or two 'requests'. I keep only those that make sense to me. I've chatted more with my grand kids in Iowa since I got on face book than I did for many years before. So it's a good thing for me. Yes, many people post junk, I've posted a couple of things I though better of later, I just ignore it. I "hide" nearly every "what xxxx are you" and similar post. I have no interest at all in what 80's TV show you are, sorry. I also hide all the other games like mafia and farm town. Don't have time for such gibberish (sorry to the aficionados of these time wasters);) So, if you're looking to me to send you a tree or concealable camera, don't waste your time.:rofl:

On the other had I've found friends from 40 or more years ago that I had lost touch with and it is great fun catching up with them. I've also joined many commercial pages (fans?) and can now keep up on happenings in some of my favorite places and topics.

I'm still a total novice at this, and I have issues with the amount of advertising and convoluted paths that FB has, but on the whole it's be an OK experience for me.

........ I've also joined many commercial pages (fans?) and can now keep up on happenings in some of my favorite places and topics.

I was on there for a short time, not long enough to learn anything about it. I had a fellow tell me about some photos he has posted of some of us kayaking and signed up to see them. Never found them either. Got a lot of friends requests from people I didn't know and closed the account.

Now the more I learn about it I am starting to reconsider. It just didn't interest me at the time. But the business side has me curious. I have not looked into it yet but having my Kayak business on there seems to make sense. Sounds like since I am a start up and things will hopefully be changing fast once I actually get the doors open, this might be a good way to get the word out??

I was on there for a short time, not long enough to learn anything about it. I had a fellow tell me about some photos he has posted of some of us kayaking and signed up to see them. Never found them either. Got a lot of friends requests from people I didn't know and closed the account.

Now the more I learn about it I am starting to reconsider. It just didn't interest me at the time. But the business side has me curious. I have not looked into it yet but having my Kayak business on there seems to make sense. Sounds like since I am a start up and things will hopefully be changing fast once I actually get the doors open, this might be a good way to get the word out??
This is something I have been thinking about as well. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out,

Frank, my mom asked me if it was rude to deny or "unfriend" someone because someone was posting about walking the dog and how big the dogs doo doo was and other useless gibberish. I told her it would be taken differently by each individual, but if you don' want to include them, don't. For me, it wouldn't be that big of deal. Many others would be heartbroken or get mad...I don't understand those people. :huh: I read an article recently that it is a good idea to rid yourself of all facebook friends once a year to "clean your social world". I have denied a few request because I didn't have any interest in befriending them.

I also was very slow in getting on facebook, because I thought it was silly and useless. Since then, I have attended a seminar on how valuable it is...do a google search on how to promote yourself or business online...you'll see what I mean. Maybe Bill L can assist with this.;):p

Also like Stu, I've caught up with some friends I haven't seen since my 10yr high school reunion (or even before)...which was almost 10 years ago. :eek: My mom has caught up with tons of friends, family, former students, co-workers, etc.....Wow, I'm long winded this afternoon. :doh:

You could always accept their friend request, then when they update their status, just click on hide. They can't see that you've "hidden" them. That way, if you're worried about hurting feelings, they won't be the wiser.
Mark

I agree - I spend more time flagging stuff I don't want to see than anything else (games, surveys et al).

A friend from work uses it to post gig information (he's a part time musician) to interested people.

Beyond that I'm just watching things. I'm pretty much a misanthrope - so I'm the antithesis of a prime Facebook user.

Jim

I signed up so I could look in on my youngest, who I never had much contact with over the years. Whatever information I gave them was the absolute minimum, because I won't be doing anything there. I got an Email that said I have two new 'friend' requests this afternoon, which must be friends of real friends, because all of a sudden I have like 8 friends, 4 or 5 of which I actually know. :dunno:

Frank you said it all in your first post. But I have to agree with Bill Lantry. Unfortunately holding out is futile. Managing it is not.:thumb: I have enough to do online to keep up with one forum, my hobby, family and work how people manage multiple forums and these social sites amazes me. I have never been one to participate in a frivolous manner. So just being a butterfly and posting what i had for breakfast and when i went to the toilet has no attraction to me. Personally i think its a waste of good time better spent hanging out in my shop. :)

OK, admittedly, I'm an old timer trying to stay up with new ideas. I haven't, and probably won't, embrace IPods, IPhones, game thingys, texting or apps. But, I have embraced the Internet for communications and information. But, now I have been drawn into an Internet world that has me flummoxed. (can I say "flummoxed" here? :eek: )
It is Facebook. I know folks, grown adults with high intellect who say that Facebook is the social networking world of the times. If I figure out what "social networking" means, I might agree with them. ;)
I check and use it occasionally. My son and daughter put news on there they don't always tell us. But, to read other posts like: "I just brushed my teeth, now I'm going to make coffee and later will go to Wal-Mart", just leave me wondering why I am wasting my time at Facebook at all.
Lately, the 'friends' thing has created a real conflict for me. Some true friends and relatives want me to join on as 'friends'. I always thought my son was a friend and don't understand why I need to verify that on some Internet site. :huh: Oh, well.
Other folks who want to be my Facebook friends are really welcome and I sign them on readily.
But, some are people I only slightly know as current e-friends. Not signing them on could be a slight and I don't want to offend them. OTOH, I really don't want a score of folks I have only small interest in writing me and expecting a response.
What to do? :dunno:
Am I an old fud stumbling along behind the curve?

Frank,
I see and agree with your point... I'm about as connected to the world as I want to be right now with TV, the forums and email... I refuse to even consider Facebook, Twitter or any of the other electronic "social networks"... I do like the search funtions of the interweb... it's like a good handy library, but there are things there I don't want to read, so I can ignore them.

The radio in my truck has a small problem... sometimes the volume will rise or fall, doesn't get XM Radio, and the tape deck isn't working well... my son uses the truck when he's home and complains about the radio... saying I need to fix it or replace it... my response is always.. "don't bother me none if it don't work... first thing I do when I get in the truck is turn it off anyway."

Move over and make room for me on that stump in the woods you mentioned in another thread.:D
Oh, and if you want, I won't talk... just sit there and listen to the sounds of the grass growing.

Frank,
I treat facebook as a way connect with some friends, have a little fun with some of the apps and otherwise ignore the parts I don't want to deal with. I've managed to get reaquainted with several friends from college, whom I haven't heard from in nearly 20 years, plus I have several family members whom I message and 'visit' with on there.

It takes a little bit of work to get there, but you can tell the apps you don't' like to leave you alone, same with the people. It's a social network, not a lodge meeting. If you don't want to be 'friends' with someone on there, don't accept their request, or if you want to be nice about it, send them a message saying thanks, but I'm only spending a certain amount of time online don't want to shortchange you if I don't have enough time to spend with you.