Tool sharpening station almost finished

Al Navas

I need to spray the finish coat on the adjustable shelf, and I will finish this cabinet. Here is the concept sketch, done in eCabinet Systems software and rendered as a *.jpg:

Sharpening_station_Tente_casters_TR130321.jpg

It will become a new tool sharpening station for lathe chisels and gouges, regular chisels, and hand plane blades. Notice the change in the drawer design:

sharpening_1.JPG

This is the old sharpening "station": An old typing stand, modified to hold the Wolverine sharpening jig:

sharpening_4_replaced_old_cart.JPG

A few more photos, and the rest of the story, can be found at my blog.

Thanks for looking!

VERY nice, Al! :thumb:

I thought I was real clever just because of the way I adapted my grinder base for the Wolverine system. I even retained the original rubber feet! Sigh....

A540_0427_GrinderPlatform_AssembledView.jpg

A540_0426_GrinderPlatform_ExplodedView.jpg

Sorry I took so long to respond, folks! The shop has kept me busy all day :D.

Looks nice Al.

I need to do something similar someday.

Grinders and stones stashed everywhere, in no certain place.
Steve,

That IS the main reason for this cabinet - to consolidate stuff in one place. A big plus: The additional surface area that the top provides allows the Wolverine and several other things on it.

Looking good, Al. What kind of countertop material did you use?
Thanks, Vaughn. This one is just a surplus laminated countertop like you would install in a kitchen. A friend was kind enough to give it me - it allowed him to store other stuff.

The old cart had unprotected plywood; it became messy when LOML started using water to cool the steel. I think that the laminated surface will be a huge improvement.

Looks really good Al, your shop cabs look better than most Japanese cabs in their kitchens! :thumb:
Thanks, Stuart! That is a nice compliment!

VERY nice, Al! :thumb:

I thought I was real clever just because of the way I adapted my grinder base for the Wolverine system. I even retained the original rubber feet! Sigh....
Thank you, Kerry. I was also tempted to keep those rubber feet, but changed my mind. It made installation easier.

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks!

I was also tempted to keep those rubber feet, but changed my mind. It made installation easier.

I hear ya! For some reason I thought it would be good to keep the grinder "portable", and usable without the Wolverine attachments. Well, the only time I have moved it since then was to bring it to the woodshop at my local college. (I couldn't believe they didn't have one!) And the reason I took it there was to sharpen their very dull turning tools ... so the Wolverine system came along for the ride after all!:dunno:

This is on my project list, but I haven't seen one that fits my needs. I have a high-speed and low-speed grinder, Tormek and lots of waterstones. I'd love to be able to combine all of them into one easy to use mobile workstation.

Has anyone seen anything that might fit that bill?

Jack

This is on my project list, but I haven't seen one that fits my needs. I have a high-speed and low-speed grinder, Tormek and lots of waterstones. I'd love to be able to combine all of them into one easy to use mobile workstation.

Has anyone seen anything that might fit that bill?

Jack

I added color and bold characters, for emphasis.

Jack,

What do you have in mind?
  1. Larger top surface?
  2. Multiple surfaces?
  3. Deeper cabinet?
  4. Lots of drawers? Shallower? Deeper?
  5. Lots of storage?
  6. Taller?
  7. Shorter?
  8. ???
I think that at some point we must decide what we think we might need, and proceed from there. If iteration #1 is not our optimum solution, go to iteration #2.

Problem is, I'm not at all sure what I have in mind. I want something that I can store all of my sharpening gizmos in. Something that is perhaps portable so I can move it around from time to time. Something that is the right height and depth. Something that I can not only put all my grinders on, but also something that I can sharpen hand tools on.

Oh, and something that is well designed and generally cool.

To paraphrase Hawkeye Pierce, "Build me such a sharpening stantion...."

Jack