Oneway Live Center & Vacuum Chucking

Stuart Ablett

A while back, I got the Oneway live center.
live_center_250px.jpg

I also got an adapter for it that lets you mount your chuck onto the nose of the live center.
live_center_adaptor_200px.jpg

This is used for, according to the Oneway site, for centering a blank that you have turned the back side of a bowl on a faceplate, then you can easily center the chuck on the tenon.............
center_bowl.jpg

While that is all fine and dandy, I got it to center bowls on my vacuum chucks for the final turning of the bottom, as well as sanding. I got a chance to use it today for the first time...........

live_center_vacuum_chuck_mounting1.jpg live_center_vacuum_chuck_mounting2.jpg
Worked really well...........

live_center_vacuum_chuck_mounting3.jpg

Man I like working on the vacuum chuck, pure gravy doing the bottoms with a vacuum chuck! :thumb:

Cheers!

I've got a chuck adaptor with a Morse taper, so I can put the chuck on the tailstock and do something similar when vacuum (or donut) chucking. Mine doesn't spin like yours does...that'd be very handy. I suspect when I wear out the live center that came with the PM, I'll be leaning real heavily towards the Oneway. (I also really like the looks of the Oneway tool rests. Those are somewhere on the wishlist, too.)

Yeah, I used the outside Oneway curved rest on this bowl, boy is that thing rock solid! This bowl was a little too small to use the inside rest I have.

Get the curved rests for sure, and the live center, yeah, it is nice!:thumb:

Nice one, Stu! :thumb:
You guys keep making my wishlist grow. I'm pretty sure the wishlist is going to outlast me by a long shot. :D
Just don't think I'll ever be able to get all the toys I need. :rofl::rofl:

The Oneway straight rests are nice, but if I were spending my own money on a straight rest, I'd get the Robust straight rest, best one on the market, I think :D

The Oneway straight rests are nice, but if I were spending my own money on a straight rest, I'd get the Robust straight rest, best one on the market, I think :D
Yep, my mistake. I was thinking of the Robust rests, not the Oneway ones. :doh: I agree they looks like the best around. (Along the same lines as their lathes, but more affordable.) ;)

Dunno Carol, does the Jet live center have a threaded nose?

The threads on the nose of the Oneway live center are 3/4" 10 TPI, thus the threads on the chuck adapter are the same, if the threads on the nose of the Jet live center are 3/4" 10 TPI, you would be in business.

Cheers!

Thanks, Stu.

That saved some aggravation, not to mention some money. Anyone know where I can get an adapter that will fit the Jet live center?

Are you sure it won't fit, that thread does not seem to give a definitive answer........ :dunno:

You could measure your threads, see if they are indeed 3/4" by 10 threads per inch, or you could go to a hardware store and find a nut that is 3/4" x 10 tpi and see if it will spin onto your Jet live center.

Cheers!

No, I am not sure. but your link stated that it would not.

I will try the 3/4 x 10 nut, though and let you know.
But by page 2 of that thread, it kind of looked like it would work. :huh: Still confusing, though. Plus, the thread was several years old, so things may be different (again) now.

The Jet live center is 3/4 x 10 tpi. Turned a nut on it this afternoon at the hardware store.

However, Craft Supplies, Packard, and Best Woods do not offer an adapter with that size. I Googled it and found a 3 year old thread on AWW that noted Craft Supplies did and gave the part number. It is no longer valid.

I have a 3/4x10 tap. Guess I'll have to go looking for a 1x8 die and roll my own.

Unless someone out there has another idea.

Harumph!

Ok, so I'm a little jealous. If I wanted to try a vacuum chuck I would have to buy Bill's system. Keep us posted on what kind of shapes and types of wood work best. Interested to see how open grain wood holds. Cool stuff...

Hutch