Pecan Bowll

Dave Hoskins

I've been busy roughing out a bunch of "stock" bowls as of late, mostly pecan and some oak and hackberry. Need them for online inventory as well as for a fair I go to every November and my off line bulk customers. This bowl came out to be a bit more different so I thought I would post it. I called it online as a natural edge bowl seeing there is a fair amount of bark still on it. Probably about 1/2 of the circumference, I suppose. I never really thought about what percentage of the bowl has to have natural edge before it is considered as such. Guess it really is by what the turner or the customer desires. Anyway, this is 12 1/4" in diameter, 2 1/2" high and has a depth of just over 1 3/4". As usual I sealed it with a couple of coats of walnut oil and then while spinning gave it several coats of a mixture of walnut oil and shellac. Hopes ya likes it.:)

Thanks, Ted! One of the pecan logs I brought in has some what I call "pithy" wood in it and am having to work around that. This bowl is from that log. The yield from that log will not be as high as I had hoped. But, I will muddle on through it. Lots of good solid wood as well. Well worth the haul!