Finished up stacked text and started a xmas gift

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Today I finished up the stacked text project for a VERY important client.
2015-11-14 15.51.05.jpg

Then did another test with one of the plaques I bought a while back. The paint mask I bought has a bad issue of removing the finish from the mdf plaques, so sprayed one down with lacquer to try and keep it from pealing. I started to lay down the mask and realized it was going on wrong, so pealed it back and some finish came with it. So decide to use some paste wax to wipe down the plaque and it worked pretty well, made the mask stick, but not so bad that it pulled the finish.

So went ahead and did the xmas plaque and found my table is a little off in one area. I readjusted and found that it was a little too deep, so have some shimming to do with the cnc table. I went ahead and finished the piece anyway. I sprayed the snowflake one color and the text another. When I went to pull the mask, I got a lot of pealing of the plaque's finish around the lettering, looks like the paint I used there reacted with it, I had no pealing around the snowflake. In the end I did some touch-up using some gray primer and wiped it out , which did a decent job of salvaging the piece, but will try some different paint for any others I do.
2015-11-14 15.50.59.jpg

Need to also adjust the layout of the snowflake for the next one.

Last edited:
... ... have some shimming to do with the cnc table. ...

I've had to do the same thing on some projects and finally leveled a waste board. I left my base board alone and put a section of 1/2" MDF on top of it. I used a 1.25" bowl bit to flatten the new waste board, dropping 0.002" per pass. So far, so good.

Last edited:
I am surprised that the Avery mask is not working as expected. My supplier does not have Avery - it is a different brand. I don't have problems with pealing, but I have never tried it on MDF. One thing I do is seal with spray shellac. I wonder if that would make a difference for you. I use 2-3 coats and I sand flat with 220. I let is set over night. I also use a laminate roller to press it down.

I am surprised that the Avery mask is not working as expected. My supplier does not have Avery - it is a different brand. I don't have problems with pealing, but I have never tried it on MDF. One thing I do is seal with spray shellac. I wonder if that would make a difference for you. I use 2-3 coats and I sand flat with 220. I let is set over night. I also use a laminate roller to press it down.

I don't think the avery would normally peal like this, its just the material/finish it's being put on. I think the pealing around the edges was really due to the type of paint and it may have been that I needed to let it dry a lot longer than I did, the top was dry, but I think the edges around the lettering under the mask was still not yet dry and contributing to it pealing. I'm going to give it another try today with some other paint and leave it to dry longer. I'll also give the shellac a try, though I don't think I have any spray type, what brand do you use?