Shop Set Up

Mike Rathe

I am looking to make my shop a little more worker friendly, I have my lathe against a wall. I was wondering if you guys had some pictures of your shop and tool storage so that I could maybe get some little design ideas.
Thanks

Mike, this is my setup, although I'm constantly trying new ones as well. I had my lathe against a wall, but after my first hollow form, I moved it so I could stand on either side of the lathe. (tried sitting on it like a horse but that wasn't very comfortable either:p) Also moving it made cleaning easier, not that I do that very often.

Attachments

• 20080106_0007[1].JPG
    20080106_0007[1].JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 127
Mike here is my turning tool storage. It works pretty good and I PM'd you on how I made it. It is right within arms reach. I also built a enclosed shelf under my lathe for all the rest of my tools, chucks, livecenters, etc.

Attachments

• Tool Storage 1.jpg
    Tool Storage 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Tool Storage 2.jpg
    Tool Storage 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Nova DVR Bench 2.jpg
    Nova DVR Bench 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I have some pics on my web site of my place. But be warned, it was only that clean for the pics. :) I have made some changes since then, but the basic lay-out is the same.

Best wishes,
Dave

Here is a tool holder I made just the other day. The idea is from a fishing pole stand I made some time back. Works great and most shavings fall through.

129_2945.jpg

I have the lathe chuck and wrenches etc., in a tool box that sits on a shelf under the lathe. Doesnit wook so good because I keep forgetting to close the lid and it is always full of chips. When I get my new lathe I think I will build a stand with covered storage underneath.

Last edited:
Here is a tool holder I made just the other day. The idea is from a fishing pole stand I made some time back. Works great and most shavings fall through.

129_2945.jpg

I have the lathe chuck and wrenches etc., in a tool box that sits on a shelf under the lathe. Doesnit wook so good because I keep forgetting to close the lid and it is always full of chips. When I get my new lathe I think I will build a stand with covered storage underneath.

Hate to rob the string but Paul, I like your rendition, I also make a rod rack similar and had,t thought odf the chisels, Good thinking.

Back to the original Primus.... I can't offer my lathe set-up as it is on casters and rools about when not in use but in my experience in school shops, we found it takes up a bit more room but set at an angle to the wall allows the operator to walk around and approach from different angles which is especially helpful for hollow forms or deep bowls, etc.

I am looking to make my shop a little more worker friendly, I have my lathe against a wall. I was wondering if you guys had some pictures of your shop and tool storage so that I could maybe get some little design ideas.
Thanks

I run two lathes and have the sitting in an "L" shape... the little one sits against the wall with the bigger one perpendicular to it, sitting in the middle of the room.. I don't have a really good photo of the set up though.. this shows how they are set up and the second is the work area behind the lathes.. I have my work benches set up in a "U" shape... my tools are at the end of the big lathe/head of little one...

Attachments

• lathe 005.JPG
    lathe 005.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 52
  • shop 004.JPG
    shop 004.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 57
Well, first you move the lathe outside to give yourself some room to work . . . Hey, Hey, put down the torches, pitchforks and hollowing tools. You all know I was just kidding around.

Seriously, there are some good layouts in the Shops section. The basic rule of thumb that works for me is positioning areas that work in sequence (or back and forth) with a flow. For a flat-lander like me this might include a Jointer to a Planer to a Table saw. To a cabinetmaker it might include a miter saw station near the pocket hole table. Assembly table with clamps and sanding supplies nearby might be another example.

When laying out parts of my shop I would mark off the area planned on the floor with tape. Then moving around or through that area, going through the motions so to speak, I could see if things would work for me. I was able to put my band saw quite a bit closer to the door and workbench than I thought and this opened up my assembly area. I think you would find similar setups; tool rack on the left instead of the right or whatever. Keep us posted. I for one, love hearing about others setups and solutions.

Last edited:
Agree with Glenn, I didn't actually do a tape lay-out.. did do a drawing and set up accordingly, then continually adjust until I find the optimum layout. I think the shop is still in state of evolution.