When Did We Get THESE in LA?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a photo of a little friend LOML killed on the kitchen floor a couple of mornings ago. This is the underside...she put the newspaper on it before she stepped on it. This sucker was a couple of inches long, even with the curled tail.

Kitchen%20Scorpion%20600.jpg

None of the neighbors recall seeing scorpions in our neck of the woods. I'm sure not walking around the house barefoot for a while. :eek:

Well, to be fair, Los Angeles was a desert before Mr. Mulholland decided to bring water over the mountains and into town. Maybe the desert creatures are just taking it back. :p

:rofl::rofl:

Global warming myths aside. You are right Vaughn, not only in your area but many other places to. Animals are spreading their territories, moving to others, leaving others.... Just another episode in this planets evolution. Life coping with changes in its environments. Although I would think you would see it a bit more in your area as the only land mass linking North and South America comes right up to your back door and accross to Texas.

:rofl::rofl:

Global warming myths aside. You are right Vaughn, not only in your area but many other places to. Animals are spreading their territories, moving to others, leaving others.... Just another episode in this planets evolution. Life coping with changes in its environments. Although I would think you would see it a bit more in your area as the only land mass linking North and South America comes right up to your back door and accross to Texas.

I know what you mean. Every Saturday night I see pink elephants :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I know what you mean. Every Saturday night I see pink elephants :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bob you need to stomp your feet flail your hands and scream "Get away from me" every ten minutes. Ive been doing it for years and there isnt a pink elephant within a hundred miles of me. (I thought they were further away until you had the sightings... ) :rofl::rofl:

Vaughn,
We had several scorpions in our house & yard in Tustin, when I lived there, and also at my former workplace in Irvine, so they're not anything new to the area - just new to you.

BTW, the semi-transparent ones like the one you pictured have a painful sting, but they're not as nasty or dangerous as the black ones.

BTW, did you know that scorpions glow when you hit them with blacklight? :D

Don't have a clue about your scorpions or how they ended up in someone's kitchen.

We had some scorpions imported here in bundles of mesquite that were destined for some steakhouses. Darn things apparently are able to survive our climate and are showing up in increasing numbers.

By the way the first mesquite I was able to get for turning came from the warehouse where these scorpions were originally found. When the bundles would break they just threw the wood away. A friend asked me if I was interested in some of it and I said sure. So he would bring me the more sound straight log sections. It turned like a dream and has become one of my favorite turning woods. To date I have not seen any scorpions spin out of a chunk.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Vaughn,
We had several scorpions in our house & yard in Tustin, when I lived there, and also at my former workplace in Irvine, so they're not anything new to the area - just new to you.

BTW, the semi-transparent ones like the one you pictured have a painful sting, but they're not as nasty or dangerous as the black ones.

I have heard about the glowing scorpions but have never seen it except in pictures. I also have been told that a scorpion that has just undergone molting does not glow. Only when the exoskeleton hardens does it glow.

Attached is a picture of a glowing scorpion.

P.S. Did you know that the more times you hit a scorpion with a shovel the flatter it gets?

Attachments

• male-centruroides-flavopictus-uv.jpg
    male-centruroides-flavopictus-uv.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 30
Vaughn,

So how hard do you have to hit them & is there anything left of the black light when you finished hitting them?

Looks pretty big. Where did that rascal hide out? Any nooks and crannies you need to block? We had some small black ones in Italy that liked dark places underneath stuff. They thinned out when we eliminated those spots.

Vaughn; I guess that it has to do with the fact of banning DDT and other pesticides. Years ago those products were not as mild or selective as they are now. Last scorpion I saw that I recall was 36 years ago. Or due to the fact that their natural predators have diminished in number if not dissapeared.

For instance, every year we have several days of massive invasion of jellyfish in our beaches, that is due to the fact that sea turtles, their natural predator, have been killed by fishermen and their number is very scarce. Other turtles die when they eat floating plastic bags thinking that it is a delicious jellyfish.:dunno:

My wife would make me move if she stumbled across that thing in my home.
Sometimes I catch her making a dash from her car to the front door if a squirrel is walking across our lawn. Shes just got a thing.

On our honeymoon, we went into the ocean(bahamas) That was back in 1978.
We were about 30 feet out, chest high water, and since the water was crystal clear, she saw fish swimming below her.
She hasnt gone swimming in the ocean since then.She stands near the shore now. she didnt believe there were actually fish in the ocean.(you cant see the bottom of ocean on LI or Jersey)