Spalted Hackberry Bowls

Jeff Bower

I finished these a couple of weeks ago, but never got around to posting them. The thicker one is 8" wide and 5" tall. The winged one is from what was left after cutting the blank for the thicker one. It is 12" at it's widest and just under 3" tall. Not sure why the bark held on, because it came off right away when roughing the thicker one. Finish is multiple coats of danish oil that was buffed. I've got lots more of this hackberry from my dad and can't wait to turn more of it! Comments/critiques please....

Attachments

• 100_0399.JPG
    100_0399.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_0400.JPG
    100_0400.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0401.JPG
    100_0401.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_0411.JPG
    100_0411.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_0412.JPG
    100_0412.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0414.JPG
    100_0414.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 45
Wow...you turn? When did that start? :rofl: Been awhile since we've seen any pics. :D

Your dad must have a spalted hackberry machine in his shop, because that's some more awesome spalting. Both bowls look cool...I'd say the winged one is my favorite of the two. The first bowl is OK, but I think I'd prefer to see the outer curve a bit more pronounced...a more hemispherical shape matching the inside bowl curve and ending with a smaller foot.

I came this close |-| to turning a thick-walled bowl like yours last night. I was hollowing the inside of a 15"piece of spalted oak, and I almost left the walls about 3" or 4" thick. Didn't do it, but I stopped the lathe and contemplated it for a bit. Your "Fat Boy" bowls do have a cool rustic look, and I've been tempted in the past to try one or two just to see how they'd sell in my market.

Wow...you turn? When did that start? :rofl: Been awhile since we've seen any pics. :D

Your dad must have a spalted hackberry machine in his shop, because that's some more awesome spalting. Both bowls look cool...I'd say the winged one is my favorite of the two. The first bowl is OK, but I think I'd prefer to see the outer curve a bit more pronounced...a more hemispherical shape matching the inside bowl curve and ending with a smaller foot.

Picky, picky...:D I agree, but I had just found, and accidently broken, an old ashtray that was my wife's grandmothers that had almost the same shape and it stuck with me.

I came this close |-| to turning a thick-walled bowl like yours last night. I was hollowing the inside of a 15"piece of spalted oak, and I almost left the walls about 3" or 4" thick. Didn't do it, but I stopped the lathe and contemplated it for a bit. Your "Fat Boy" bowls do have a cool rustic look, and I've been tempted in the past to try one or two just to see how they'd sell in my market.

Don't do it :eek: I have that market cornered! Plus you'll really start to like turning them because you don't have to worry about them flexing. They do hurt more when they fly off the lathe though. DAMHIKT:doh:

Don't do it :eek: I have that market cornered! Plus you'll really start to like turning them because you don't have to worry about them flexing. They do hurt more when they fly off the lathe though. DAMHIKT:doh:
I always figured you were just looking for ways to reduce your cleanup time. Less cutting = fewer chips = faster cleanup = Miller time that much sooner. :D

I also prefer the winged one. Appeals to my love of the different.

I do a fair number of 'thick' bowls, mainly with wood that has a very pronounced grain or figuring like this. I always try to do as Vaughhan suggested though and have the outside the same shape as the inside. It just seems to flow better
Never seen hackberry over here. Almost like zebrano.

Pete

OK, you got me Vaughn. :eek:

Bernie and Peter thanks for the kind comments.

jeff i never thought for a minute that yu would sluff off on a job to get to teh beer tent sooner... nope one minute,,,i go tfaith in yu. oh how many cases are gonna be needed to build that shop???:rofl:

oops nice hackberry too:)!!

jeff i never thought for a minute that yu would sluff off on a job to get to teh beer tent sooner... nope one minute,,,i go tfaith in yu. oh how many cases are gonna be needed to build that shop???:rofl:

oops nice hackberry too:)!!

I tend to partake in the beverage a little more than my dad, but I will take it as payment...along with free tool use.

Jeff, the spalted hackberry is about gone now. We will have to see how that works in Des Moines.

Don't forget I took quite a bit last time I was there...:p

Sure hope my hackberry spalts like that.... that is fantastic wood.

Your use of it is fantastic as well.

Chuck, I hope your wood spalts like this stuff did too. Great to work with and beatiful to boot. Mother nature took care of these logs. Thanks for the wonderful complement too. :thumb: