Jet Slow Speed Grinder Question

do you need one? only you can decide if the tormek is is worth the additional money.....the jet is built cheaper and priced accordingly....personally i don`t have a need for either i sharpen on what i`ve got.

Hey Bill, I looked at the Jet at the Woodworker's show for $299 with X'tra's thrown in -- walked back and forth between it and the Tormek for a couple hours -- then left without it. The next week I bought the Tormek @ Woodcraft. Can't really explain why, just something about the fit & finish, especially on the jigs, just didn't sit well with me.........

Just my $0.02 -- Tony

Hey Bill, I looked at the Jet at the Woodworker's show for $299 with X'tra's thrown in -- walked back and forth between it and the Tormek for a couple hours -- then left without it. The next week I bought the Tormek @ Woodcraft. Can't really explain why, just something about the fit & finish, especially on the jigs, just didn't sit well with me.........

Just my $0.02 -- Tony
Tony,

Thanks for your input. I had looked at the Jet at The Woodworking Show in Tampa a few months ago and, while it had some nice features, I couldn't bring myself to walk away with it. The only reason I considered it this time was the price, but I'd rather spend the money on something else, anyway! :dunno:

By the way, last year you clued me into Redwood Bay Lumber Co. when I mentioned moving to Georgia. I stopped by the place a few weeks ago when I happened to be passing through the area. Of course, I couldn't just stop in to introduce myself -- had to grab some padauk and purpleheart to make it back home. Turns out they deliver to Thomas County schools routinely, so I can call and place an order! Knowing me, I'd still rather drive there and pick my pieces, though. :doh:

Take care! :thumb:

I hate it when someone does this....

Have you looked at a used Makita Knife sharpener? I used scary sharp and was happy with it. But I kept ripping the really fine paper and was getting tired of that. I also wanted to be able to sharpen jointer and planer blades. Tormek is just to stinking expensive! I ran upon the Makita and did some homework. Overall good reviews. I watched EBay and found a few used ones and finally got one. I love mine. I sharpen planners blades, jointer blades, (hand) planer blades, pocket knives, etc. Well pleased.

I hate it when someone does this....

Have you looked at a used Makita Knife sharpener? I used scary sharp and was happy with it. But I kept ripping the really fine paper and was getting tired of that. I also wanted to be able to sharpen jointer and planer blades. Tormek is just to stinking expensive! I ran upon the Makita and did some homework. Overall good reviews. I watched EBay and found a few used ones and finally got one. I love mine. I sharpen planners blades, jointer blades, (hand) planer blades, pocket knives, etc. Well pleased.
Jeff,
You hate it when somebody does what? :huh:

I haven't looked at the Makita yet, but will keep an eye on Ebay. The main reason I want such a tool is sharpening jointer and planer knives, so it might be a better, less costly solution. I'm in no real hurry, but will jump on a good deal if I find one. Thanks for your input.

:thumb:

That's where I saw it -- wish I'd known you were there !!

The Guys at Redwood Bay deliver as far east as Madison -- but I prefer to go all the way just to see what they have.
I went to the show for a few hours on Friday shortly after they opened. It seemed like a smaller show than past years. I looked at a lot of stuff, but didn't buy anything.

Blountstown is about 90 miles from me, so I'll have to make up quite a shopping list before I make the trek. I suppose LOML and I could make a day of it with lunch at Spring Creek, followed by a drive along the coast, then loop through Btown. Just a leisurely 300 mile afternoon drive! :rolleyes:

Jeff,
You hate it when somebody does what? :huh:

When I ask about an old Unisaw and people starting telling why I should buy Powermatic or Grizzly. :rolleyes:

I am very happy with my Makita and can say I would buy another in a heart beat. I watched EBay and found one with 5 stones so I am set. I don't remember what I paid, but it was way less than a Tormek.

When I ask about an old Unisaw and people starting telling why I should buy Powermatic or Grizzly. :rolleyes:

I am very happy with my Makita and can say I would buy another in a heart beat. I watched EBay and found one with 5 stones so I am set. I don't remember what I paid, but it was way less than a Tormek.
Jeff,

Yeah, I assumed that's what you meant. I don't have any issue if someone jumps in with another thought. That's what these forums are all about. I can get too focused in one direction sometimes, so it's good to hear suggestions about alternatives to my original thought.

I'll check Ebay occasionally.

Thanks again.
:wave:

I bought my Tormek a while before the Jet came out. When the Jet hit the market I read all of the Jet vs Tormek threads that I saw just out of curiosity. The only one that I saw from a user that seemed like that it would be a good test concerning the quality of the two brands was from a guy that said that his business was running several sharpening stations quite a few hours a day, five or six days a week. He had been using Tormeks and decided to try a Jet due to the cost. I forget the exact length of time but he reported that he burned out the jet motor in a few months and his Tormeks were still going strong after several years.

I suppose that the Jet would last the normal hobby type woodworker several years instead of several months so I guess that it would be a hard call if a guy was trying to save money. I do not feel bad about spending the extra money for peace of mind, especially since we are talking about a few dollars instead of a few thousand dollars.

I know that this is not a Jet vs Tormek question but what I am trying to say is that if you were going to spend the money to buy a Jet and you are a heavy user or want it to last for a very long time I think that you would be money ahead to bite the bullet and buy a Tormek. If you are not a heavy user and do not really care how long it last the Jet might be the way to go.

... I do not feel bad about spending the extra money for peace of mind ...

... I think that you would be money ahead to bite the bullet and buy a Tormek. ...
Allen,

Thank you for your input. It confirms what I was beginning to feel myself. I look for price/value in all of my purchases and, in some cases, have found the less expensive route to be quite workable. In other cases, I bite the bullet and close my eyes when I write the check! ;)

:thumb: