ncc-1701...

Art Mulder

I'd just like to say that the new Star Trek movie was really, really, a wild ride. The Trek-nobabble was actually pretty minimal. I was dreading the time travel thing, but it was well explained and rather necessary for the overall story. The pace was unrelenting. The opening sequence was quite poignant and kick butt all at once.

I thought that the actors all were pretty good choices for their rolls. I read one reviewer who claimed that Sulu and Chekov didn't have enough to do. Ha. Scotty was the one that didn't get much to do!
Kirk was very reckless and charge-into-battle. Young Spock was actually scary. Uhura had great depth. Bones was... startlingly like original Bones only more vibrant and less middle-aged.

But man oh man did they seriously reboot the entire Star Trek Universe with this story! The future is wide open for sequels.

Go. Definitely, Go.

Knew with the title of the thread what we were going to be talking about!:thumb: I wonder when it'll get to Hilo.... Will have to wait for the DVD though. Love seeing action and adventure at the theater because of the sound system and big screen. But will still have to watch it at home with the sub-titles on so I can read what was going on!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gotta go see it in the Omni theater

One thing I don't care too much for is if they take out the soap opra(sp) and make it constant action - which is what I fear thet did.

Sorta like turning Batman - into the Dark Knight? That's not the batman I grew up with.

Still - I am gonna go watch it --- Maybe? tomorow?

I haven't gone to see a movie at a theater since Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it's been longer than that since I watched a DVD movie. I realized the other day, though, that I have a stack of gift cards for AMC Theaters (incentive rewards from my old job), and I have free afternoons these days. I may do a little catching up on movies, and the new Star Trek release sounds like a good one to start with.

Adding to the experience was the brand new Theater We got to check out. They have a new theatre here in London from Cineplex - it's licensed, only the third one in Canada. So it's only 19 and over allowed inside. NO RUGRATS! (said the father of four... :rolleyes: )
(err, for those who don't know, "it's licensed" means it has a liquor serving license, and all the rules that go along with that.)

The seats are huge and gorgeous. The seats lean back, and every two seats there is a table, so you are not crowded so much. You can have a beer or glass of wine at your seat. During the pre-movie time, they come through the theatre and take orders, and deliver to your seat. There is a lounge out front so you could come and get some bar/pub munchies before (or after) the movie, and then go on into see the movie, and even have chicken wings or nachos at your seat. The theatres are also smaller -- we were in row F, and I'm betting it only went back to row J or K, so I'd say no more than 120-140 seats in the auditorium. Oh yeah, reserved seats also, so you can buy your ticket in advance and not have to worry about lining up for "good seats".

And for all that you pay a premium of $5 a ticket, so $15-16 to get in. I dunno if I'd pay that though, I'm still cheap -- these were complimentary VIP tickets through our friend who is a movie reviewer for a local radio station.

:thumb::thumb:

Adding to the experience was the brand new Theater We got to check out. They have a new theatre here in London from Cineplex - it's licensed, only the third one in Canada. So it's only 19 and over allowed inside. NO RUGRATS! (said the father of four... :rolleyes: )
(err, for those who don't know, "it's licensed" means it has a liquor serving license, and all the rules that go along with that.)

The seats are huge and gorgeous. The seats lean back, and every two seats there is a table, so you are not crowded so much. You can have a beer or glass of wine at your seat. During the pre-movie time, they come through the theatre and take orders, and deliver to your seat. There is a lounge out front so you could come and get some bar/pub munchies before (or after) the movie, and then go on into see the movie, and even have chicken wings or nachos at your seat. The theatres are also smaller -- we were in row F, and I'm betting it only went back to row J or K, so I'd say no more than 120-140 seats in the auditorium. Oh yeah, reserved seats also, so you can buy your ticket in advance and not have to worry about lining up for "good seats".

And for all that you pay a premium of $5 a ticket, so $15-16 to get in. I dunno if I'd pay that though, I'm still cheap -- these were complimentary VIP tickets through our friend who is a movie reviewer for a local radio station.

:thumb::thumb:

I like that concept, though I don't drink to any degree.. a 12 pack will usually serve me most of the summer... don't do wine so much any more... the wife's diabetic and can't drink and I can't do a whole bottle of wine by myself..
I'll wait for the DVD... my stepson is a truck driver and buys movies or takes them out of his collection to watch on the road, then every so often he'll drop them off here for us to store for him. We have roughly 600 or so movies on a 50" x 7' High shelving unit in my study. Not always the type of movies I will watch, but still all in all, better than hassling with going to the theaters, the closest of which is about 40 miles away.

taking your SO to the movies here will set you back $40 or more..depends on how much you eat/drink. sadly, that's too rich for 2 hours of entertainment,regardless of whats' playing. DVDs have the advantage of being able to be watched multiple times, being able to be shared, and you can pee in your own bathroom!!!:D

They are called dinner theaters in houston. Haven't been to one yet but loml wants to try one once to see what its like. My son works at AMC 24 so we don't have to pay to get in just have to pay for consessions which gets quite expensive. I have to keep an eye on the local drive-in to see if the movie plays there. $5 a person and the food is very good. Last time we went we spent about $60 for 4 of us with everyone getting a meal and a drink, some soft pretzels and a large popcorn along with 2 movies.

I can tell ya - we paid $15 per seat at the IMAX - 4 of us

The place was PACKED - not a single empty seat.

Got pop corn, candy, soda - the whole nine yards

AWESOME

AWESOME

AWESOME

We definately spend more than a DVD rental price.