had to happen sooner or later....

Dan Noren

Staff member
the time has come to shut the shop down for winter. the last 5 months have been particularly productive, with 9 cutting boards for my brother, a small side table for my nephew, a corner shelf for another nephew, 2 new chairs, a backgammon set, a jardiniere, a clock for the fair, a small side table for the fair, a goblet, a trebuchet, 12 large clocks, 12 small clocks, 4 clocks for the wife :blah:, 12 candy dispensers, 12 pepper mills, 2 curved and 11 angled wine bottle holders, 7 picture frames, 9 candle holders, 9 magic dollar things, 8 end grain cutting boards, and 2 pastry boards, for a total of 119 items this season. but, now it is time to put things in their places, blow the dust and shavings off of the benches and tools, and start the plotting and planning for the next season (well, that part is already under way, with a bathroom towel shelf for the wife :blah: in pine, and an entertainment center for the downstairs neighbor, and a new dining room table). but not to worry, i'll be keeping samples of various lumber at hand to keep any symptoms of withdrawal at bay. now for the fun part, 3 craft shows coming up, and i hope that i can sell enough to scrounge up the scratch to finally get that darned cnc machine.

Well Dan i hope the craft shows go the way you want because you sure have put the effort in to raise that scratch for the CNC. You might want to consider letting that point be known at the craft shows to help tweak the hearts and minds and get them to get behind you and open their wallets to support you endevour. :thumb: Best of luck.

With that much productivity over the summer, perhaps the next project should be some insulation and a small corn stove or something. My brother in law has a large (insulated) pole barn that is his auxiliary shop and storage, in northern Iowa (10 miles from Minnesota) and one corn stove that he took out of a living room (not a huge stove) keeps the barn 40 degrees above outside temperature - warm enough that he can work there most of the winter.

the funny thing charlie is that you hit pretty close on that one. pop is thinking about replacing the gas furnace in the house with one of those more efficient ones that can be vented out the side of the house instead of up the chimney. i told him that while he was planning to upgrade the electrical from the house to the garage, why not lay a gas line, as long as he was digging, and hook up the old furnace in the garage. he seemed to like that idea.

That is a dizzying number of projects to complete in less than a year! Congratulations coming your way. I hope everything works out well for you at the craft fair.

...9 cutting boards for my brother, a small side table for my nephew, a corner shelf for another nephew, 2 new chairs, a backgammon set, a jardiniere, a clock for the fair, a small side table for the fair, a goblet, a trebuchet, 12 large clocks, 12 small clocks, 4 clocks for the wife :blah:, 12 candy dispensers, 12 pepper mills, 2 curved and 11 angled wine bottle holders, 7 picture frames, 9 candle holders, 9 magic dollar things, 8 end grain cutting boards, and 2 pastry boards, for a total of 119 items this season...

Slacker. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Well Dan i hope the craft shows go the way you want because you sure have put the effort in to raise that scratch for the CNC. You might want to consider letting that point be known at the craft shows to help tweak the hearts and minds and get them to get behind you and open their wallets to support you endevour...

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but people at the craft shows won't give a flip about what tools Dan wants to buy. Heck, most of them won't have any idea what a CNC machine is in the first place. I think his time will be better spent explaining to them how his products are the best they will find at the show. :thumb:

well, i guess i was a bit of a slacker, especially with all the time i had on my hands this time. i took a minute or two to figure out how much time i had roughly. with 5 months, we have 20 weeks. in those 20 weeks, i only had 3 days off each week, for a total of 60 days. knock about 15 days off for recovery days (first day off, after some truly rough nights at work), and we're down to 45. it got even worse when i figured for the dinged finger and wife :blah:, it is a wonder i got any shop time at all....:rofl:

well, i guess i was a bit of a slacker, especially with all the time i had on my hands this time. i took a minute or two to figure out how much time i had roughly. with 5 months, we have 20 weeks. in those 20 weeks, i only had 3 days off each week, for a total of 60 days. knock about 15 days off for recovery days (first day off, after some truly rough nights at work), and we're down to 45. it got even worse when i figured for the dinged finger and wife :blah:, it is a wonder i got any shop time at all....:rofl:

LOL, I rest my case.

In that same amount of time, I built...um...nothing. (I did rewire a couple of guitars, so there's that.) :D