simple cherry and mystery wood end tables

allen levine

again, for my daughter in her new apt.
she moved out the tiny closet like apt she had and moved into a large 2 bedroom apt, and she needs some end tables for the sofa.
We both know this isn't an apt she might be at more than a year or so, things change, furniture needs could change, so this was a fast, pocket screw assembly, cherry legs(small taper), cherry aprons, and that mystery wood I love so much for the tops.
I just love the look of this wood, wish I had 500 board feet more.(at the 89 cents a bf I paid back in 2009)

I still need to clean up a bit, and only ran the tops through the drum sander at 80 grit, so need to sand them down with orbital to 180.

Sanding is easy enough, so theres a chance I can do some sanding after my treatments each day this week.(as long as Im not that drowsy)

Legs and apron will be stained with dark stain, top will be stained with clear, 2 coats, then will all be sprayed with what I have left, em6000 semi gloss.

Should be finished in 2 weeks.(not sure if she wants an ogee edge routed on top, her decision)

Ill post final picture. Heres some shots of progress.

Attachments

• rissyendtables 010.jpg
    rissyendtables 010.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 29
  • rissyendtables 004.jpg
    rissyendtables 004.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 27
  • rissyendtables 003.jpg
    rissyendtables 003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 27
  • rissyendtables 002.jpg
    rissyendtables 002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 28
  • rissyendtables 001.jpg
    rissyendtables 001.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 24
Nice tables as usual Allen. How about a bit of an ogee routed around edge?

The wood by the way is cherry i believe. I have a bunch of that wood which i purchased as a whole tree cut into slabs. Its just that there is lots of sap wood on the outer edges which seems to have a whiter color. At least thats my understanding.

no ogee edge as per request of the client.

the top is not cherry, Ive had several opinions on it, but some lumber yard owners and others here who have seen it, touched it and smelled it, definitely don't think its cherry.

the seller didn't know back then, although he claimed it to be some kind of exotic wood he purchased years before for a custom job. He said it came from central or south America.

the biggest lumber yard in NY, the owner, said hes seen it before, he said it was rare, I believe he said sapwood of walnut. It does feel like walnut, but I think its lighter in weight.

...claimed it to be some kind of exotic wood he purchased years before for a custom job. He said it came from central or south America.

the biggest lumber yard in NY, the owner, said hes seen it before, he said it was rare, I believe he said sapwood of walnut. It does feel like walnut, but I think its lighter in weight.

I had some Paulownia once that resembled that. It was pretty soft, and fairly light in weight.

I picked up some rotary cut bubinga veneer several years ago at The Woodworking Shows. It has some characteristics similar to the wood you have.

100_1060.jpg

Those are great-looking tables, Allen. :thumb: Add me to the list of those who really like your mystery wood. :yes:

And here's to a smooth round of treatments this time. :beer: