A Few New Tewls

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've received a few new things for the turning setup lately, so I though I'd share...

A few days ago my Don Pencil buffing set arrived. It's Don's answer to the Beall Buffing System. I got three 8" wheels (supposedly in the same "soft, softer, and softest" configuration as the Beall) and three of the 4" goblet buffs. I say "supposedly" because I wonder if the buffs were mis-labeled. The one marked "Wax" sure looks like it has a rougher fabric than the "Trip" or "WD" buffs. It does have a pretty feathery edge though, and I've never seen a Beall system in person to form a real comparison.

I got the 8" adaptor to stand the wheel away from the lathe headstock for better clearance. It's well made, and has no perceptible runout. The buffing wheels change in a matter of seconds. This is a nice step up from the 6" Home Depot wheels I've been running on my Wilton mini lathe. (Although the mini rig will still be my go-to setup for smaller items...the variable speed is handy.) So far the Pencil buffing stuff has worked real well, although I may shop around for a bit firmer (more aggressive) wheel for the tripoli buff.

Don Pencil Buffing Set 1 - 800.jpg

Then Wednesday, the mailman delivered my first high-end bowl gouge. I bought a 5/8" V-shaped gouge from Thompson Lathe Tools. (You might know Doug Thompson from his cool turned wooden hats.) It's powdered metal, cryogenically treated, and man, is it a step up from my Benjamin's Best bowl gouges. :D (It also cost more for a single gouge than the 4-piece Benjamin's Best bowl-turning set. Still, the BB set is good bang for the bucks, IMHO.)

Thompson Bowl Gouge 1 - 800.jpg

As a bonus, the shank is turned down to fit nicely into the Monster Indexer (handle), so it makes for a beefy, heavy tool. And I didn't have to make a handle before using it. Instant gratification.

Thompson Bowl Gouge 2 - 800.jpg

The gouge is shipped already sharpened, so I had a chance to use it before I mess up the grind. :eek: (Doug uses and highly recommends using the Wolverine jig with the Vari-Grind...I'll get by with my PSI knock-off). He even includes a life-size picture showing how he recommends setting the Vari-Grind. I'll be trying his suggestions with not only this gouge, but my other bowl gouges, which by now I have ground several different ways.

Thompson Bowl Gouge 4 - 800.jpg

I used the gouge tonight to finish turn a dried alder bowl that I roughed out a few weeks ago. Even with dry punky spalted alder, I was getting nice curlies. And there was no tangible dulling of the edge after using it. I think I'll be owning more of these tools. :D

Thompson Bowl Gouge 3 - 800.jpg

Thanks for the info Vaughn. I am wanting to get one of the V shape bowl gouges. I also want to get a couple of his spindle gouges especially a 3/8" so I can do finials like Cindy Drozda teaches. I have did 3 so far.

Well Bernie, after using this gouge for an evening, I ordered two more. I'll be adding the 1/2" U-shape gouge and the 3/8" shallow gouge to the collection. Then of course I had to order another Monster handle to put them in. It'll be sized for 1/2" on one end and 3/8" on the other. I'll have a total of 7 tools that'll fit into the Monster handles.

Vaughn....here's my take on gouges and sharpening.

I have a 3/8" Robert Larson bowl sharpened with an extreme Irish grind. It works well for me. When I was in Houston I turned on Chris Hartley's new Robust American Beauty lathe using Chris's gouge. It was ground with a conventional grind. I was like a fish out of water with it. My advice.....try different grinds .....find the one you're comfortable with......that works for you....and stick with it.

When I get my new lathe later this fall, I'll go for a bigger bowl gouge to "hog" out bowls. For now...the 3/8" is all my little mini will handle. Any more would result in more catches that would stop the motor.

I like your new gouge. Congrats!

Well Bernie, after using this gouge for an evening, I ordered two more. I'll be adding the 1/2" U-shape gouge and the 3/8" shallow gouge to the collection. Then of course I had to order another Monster handle to put them in. It'll be sized for 1/2" on one end and 3/8" on the other. I'll have a total of 7 tools that'll fit into the Monster handles.

I talked with Doug and he told me since I had the Ellsworth ProPM 1/2" gouge to just go with the V shaped one. I also want to get a couple of different spindle gouges from him. Everyone I have talked to said they come sharpened ready to use and a couple told me they have did two bowls without sharpening. That sounds good to me if I could do one bowl without having to go to the grinder. I still use a P & N conventional grind in 3/8" and 1/2" like Mike Mahoney does in his video for the final pass. It does a monster job of cleaning up tear out.

Thanks, I hope you enjoy them, did the other tools arrive yet?

Oneway allowed me to photograph the jig for the sharpening guide. This solves a common problem and question that is asked; What angle do you set the jig? When the angle changes on the jig so does the grind. On the site there is a PDF can be printed out for anyone to use.

I met Randy from Monster tools last year at the Indyfest. He has a hollowing rig I'd like to get... the quality is outstanding.

Wow, nice looking gouge! :thumb:

I've got three 1/2" bowl gouges now, I'll be putting different grinds on all three, as it is my understanding that no one grind can do it all.

When Eli Avisera was here for a demo, he stressed to us all that more tools, tools that do a specific job, was a good thing, as it leads to better work, smoother cuts and such, and way less use of the #80 gouge :D

Sure, he could do an entire bowl with just one gouge, and, when you are starting out, that is what most of us do, but his point was not to go on a buying spree, his point was that as our skills improve, add tools that you need and can use to your arsenal. Having the right tool for the job will make turning more enjoyable and your work will be better too.

Roy Child has a good write up on the various grinds >> here << although this pertains to the "Super Flute" gouge, the info and the ideas of different grinds on the same too is of use, to me anyways. :D

Then there is the Wood Central Page on various grinds >> here << that has a lot of good info and pics too! :thumb:

Well you have my thoughts.

Again, VERY nice new tool Vaughn, I'll have to save my pennies for one or three of them :wave:

Thanks, I hope you enjoy them, did the other tools arrive yet?

Oneway allowed me to photograph the jig for the sharpening guide. This solves a common problem and question that is asked; What angle do you set the jig? When the angle changes on the jig so does the grind. On the site there is a PDF can be printed out for anyone to use.

I met Randy from Monster tools last year at the Indyfest. He has a hollowing rig I'd like to get... the quality is outstanding.
Good to see you pop in, Doug. :wave: I haven't gotten the new gouges yet, but I'll bet they'll be in Saturday's mail. (I won't have the handle for them until Monday or Tuesday anyway.) By the way, I finished up another bowl tonight with the new gouge and I'm still grinning. The bowl is box elder, and even though I still haven't sharpened the gouge -- trying to see how far it'll go before needing it -- the cuts with the gouge were tearout-free. :thumb:

I can attest (as can a couple others here) to the quality of Randy's hollowing rig. I got one at the first of this year, and have been doing almost non-stop hollow forms since. (You can see some examples here on the forum.) I'm still a relative newbie (turned my first little bowl a year ago this month), but I'm learning good tools sure do make a difference. :)

I would like to see how long the edge does last, keep track of how many turnings you did before the edge needs to be touched up. I sharpen bowl gouges on a 46 grit wheel and spindle gouges to 80 grit. Wait until it's done on a higher grit wheel, you'll see a nicer cut.

Why sharpen on a 46 grit wheel? Look at 300 bowl gouges that need to be sharpened from scratch and a 46 grit wheel is the only way to go. How long does each one take to grind from scratch... you wouldn't believe me if i told you.

Have fun,
Doug

Doug, I roughed out a walnut hollow form last night, and by the end of things it was time to touch up the edge on the gouge. (Still sharper than what I'm used to, though.) Since I needed to re-balance the wheels on my grinder, I did that instead, and put off sharpening until the next time I use the gouge. (Probably tomorrow night.)

BTW, I got the 1/2 round and 3/8" shallow detail gouges today. (Got Randy's Monster handle today, too.) Tonight's pool league night, so no turning until tomorrow. I'm looking forward to test driving them tomorrow. :thumb:

I met Doug last year in Indyfest also (not that he would remember), a very informative and pleasant guy. Looking forward to seeing him and his hats and tools again this year.

Congrats on the tools Vaughn.