Denise's new tool...

Marty Walsh

IT'S FOR DENISE...IT'S FOR DENISE... That's what I kept repeating as I was driving to pick it up yesterday.

"I don't have time for a lathe. This is Denise's. I don't have time for a lathe. This is Denise's."

By the time it was in the back of the car and I was headed home, I almost had myself convinced...:rolleyes:

So here it is, DENISE'S new tool:

DSCN7197.jpg..........DSCN7198.jpg

It's the new Jet JWL-1220...a Jet Mini on steriods. It's got a slightly larger capacity, 12" x 20" instead of the 10" x 14" of the regular mini. It also has a 3/4hp motor, instead of the 1/2hp motor of the regular mini. No variable speed, but as easy as it is to change pully positions, I don't think that will pose a problem. It also came with a 6" and a 10" tool rest, as well as a nice (cheap but better than nothing) goose-neck lamp built-in...too bad it can only accept up to a 40 watt bulb :dunno:

The best part is that I found a vendor willing to part with it for less than the cost of the regular VS mini....under $300! :thumb:

Ok, so now that I've convinced myself that it's FOR DENISE, the real back story is that one of my clients has put in an order for five pen and pencil sets. I figured I "could" have turned them on the ShopSmith, like I have all the pens I've turned in the past. But...Denise has wanted a 'real' lathe since I gave her a quick-n-dirty turning lesson on the SS way back in Virginia.

I figure the pen/pencil sets should bring in enough to cover the cost of the lathe. I already have turning tools. And now Denise can play with a 'real' lathe (albeit a small one) to decide if it's something she likes enough to justify a REAL lathe. (She was 'helping' me shop...and kept mentioning things like Oneway, Robust, Powermatic. :eek::doh:)

Ok, now for some questions.

First order of business...to help offset the cost of the lathe...is what I need to get turning those pen/pencil sets. As I said, I've turned plenty of pens in the past. But I used the ShopSmith. That means the first thing I'll need is a mandrel. Given how things mount on the SS, there was only one choice. Take it or leave it. And unfortunately, that mandrel won't work on any other machine, so it's useless for DENISE'S lathe. :)rolleyes:)

The Jet, however, can accept at least three different types that I've seen on various sites: A #2 Morse taper mandrel, a 1" x 8 screw on mandrel, and a straight mandrel that fits into a drill chuck which fits in the #2 taper.

I'm leaning towards the #2 Morse taper, since that's a tried and true mounting method. But, so are threads...:huh:

So, given that the price is identical for all three options, what do folks here prefer...?

Second, since I know Denise is gonna want to turn more substantial stuff than pens, I want to get her a chuck. Is Nova still "the chuck", or are there other brands on par or better than the Nova? And what about the slew of options that are available? Can any of you reccommend a good 'starter' setup...brand and options...?

I'm pretty certain you spinny folks will be hearing more and more from Denise in the near future. So I'll leave it at just these two questions. Your advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It's FOR DENISE. It's FOR DENISE. I don't have time for a lathe. Its' FOR DENISE!

Thanks...
- Marty -

good job keeping "the project" out of the pics marty;)
now to pry denise out from behind that desk.......
congratulations both of you!

IT'S FOR DENISE...IT'S FOR DENISE... That's what I kept repeating as I was driving to pick it up yesterday.

It's FOR DENISE. It's FOR DENISE. I don't have time for a lathe. Its' FOR DENISE!

You can keep telling yourself that over and over....it would have been easier to do this...:bang: ...and probably cheaper too!

Congrats to both of you.:thumb:

So...do we say Congrats to Denise, or to Marty?

Congrats to both of you. Look forward to pictures of your turnings when you can.

That looks like a really good lathe, 12" x 20" is lots, and with an extension bed, you could make table legs etc...........ah, I mean Denise could make table legs etc.....

For that lathe the Nova G3 chuck is all you need, I have one and really like it, the variety of jaws that fit on it will do just about anything, but I seem to recall some of the guys here using a similar but MUCH cheaper chuck, which name escapes me right now.............:huh: Barracuda.....? :dunno:

For the pen mandrel, get the #2 MT, it will fit just about any lathe you will ever own, from the smaller mini lathes right up to the drool over BIG Onways and Robusts lathes.

The limit on the 40w is for heat build up, so get a compact Fluorescent 100w bulb, they don't get nearly as hot at the incandescent ones.

Congrats Denise!

.... it will fit just about any lathe you will ever own, from the smaller mini lathes right up to the drool over BIG Onways and Robusts lathes.

Stu...they just got the mini, your already pushing them further into the abyss by suggesting an upgrade? :eek::rofl: Although Marty did say Denise was "helping" him shop mentioning those names....

Marty/Denise

Congrats on the new tool. I suspect Stu is correct, there is another one in the near future. Just like computers, we tried to get by with one, but got tired of the "aren't you done yet, I need to .............." conversations. :rofl::rofl:

Good thing LOML isn't a woodworker as well!

So................. shall we start a poll on what Marty's "big lathe" should be?

Jay

Marty, I agree with Stu, get the Morse #2 pen mandrel.

As far as chucks people will debate till the cows come home which one is best and as far as I can tell they all work about the same. I am sure someone will take me to task on that statement. I have used all of the major brands; none disappointed me and neither brand improved my turning.

I have Nova chucks because I started out cheap. I was able to get the original Nova about the time I started turning at a closeout price. Then when I got a real lathe all I had to do was get an insert that fit that lathe. Later I picked up a Super Nova, then some Super Nova II's. The best thing about buying all Teknatool products is that, with the exception of one set of jaws that fit only the Titan, all jaws will fit all other Nova chucks. Nova also sells just the chuck body so you don't have to buy chuck after chuck with the same set of jaws. You will need an insert that fits your lathe for each chuck unless you wish to change inserts all the time.

Although the Vicmarc and Oneway chucks are great pieces of equipment, jaw sets are not necessarily interchangeable from one model to another.

The beautiful thing is if you move up to a bigger lathe you just have to buy a new insert(s) for the spindle thread on the new lathe.

Yeppers, Morse #2 for the mandrel, Nova for the chuck (G3 would be just right). The PSI Barracuda (or is it the Barracuda II?...whichever one comes with a variety of jaws) is another well-regarded chuck. And you didn't ask, but I recommend Arizona Silhouette for your pen kits.

I agree with the #2 Morse for the mandrel, but I'd recommend a Oneway chuck, and Craft Supplies for the pen kits. Just stay away from PSI - over on the pen forums, the "pros" have just about given up on PSI.

By the way, Marty, congrats to DENISE on her new toy. I got a new one too - yesterday, that I'll post in a day or so after I get it set up and prettied up for pics. Anyone wanna guess what it is?

Nancy (73 days)

Denise & Marty,

The information provided above is exactly what you need. I have the Nova G3 and the MT#2 mandrel and they work great. As for pen kits, there are a great many solutions and the ones that Vaughn and Nancy describe are as good as any. Have fun making curlys.

Last edited:
Congrats to you or Denise. Shucks Marty let me throw you another one.:rofl: I like the small Vicmarc chuck. MT #2 mandrel and you might check with Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods for pens and supplies. He is a champ to work with and will fix anything. Quick e-mails and prompt shipping. Have no interest with Ernie just a satisfied customer.

Marty and Denise. Bernie's mention of Bear Tooth Woods reminded me that Berea Hardwoods is the supplier of a LOT of retailers of pen kits. You can go to their website and see what you want, then call to order (ask for Jim, he's the smartest one there). They charge a flat $4.00 per order for shipping, no matter how large or small the order. They are quick to respond, quick to ship, and they are good.

Nancy (73 days)

One might say Denise is a very lucky girl :rolleyes: and then too one might say that you might be a lucky guy if your lucky girl lets you play with her new toy!:D:rofl:
Nice score!
Shaz

...You can go to their website and see what you want, then call to order (ask for Jim, he's the smartest one there). They charge a flat $4.00 per order for shipping, no matter how large or small the order. They are quick to respond, quick to ship, and they are good.

Nancy (73 days)
In my experience, if you don't get Jim, their staff isn't very helpful. I started using Arizona Silhouette for my Berea kits...same prices, similar shipping prices, and they always toss in a freebie pen or bottle stopper blank for fun. AS is also closer to me, so the products get here a few days sooner. (Denise is closer to Berea's than I am, though, so that might not make any difference.)

Denise, way to go on convincing Marty of the need for a real tool in the shop!!!! Now you will need to buy another as you won't get much time at it!! :dunno: :wave:
Oh Marty notice I didn't omit the T this time!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Nice lathe and congrats to Denise.

When are men going to learn not to let women in the shop to play with the lathe until they have 2. His and her lathes is the only way two turners can live in the same house!! Paint hers pink so you wont be tempted to turn her lathe. Turning on your white Jet mini while she turns on the pink Oneway!!!:rofl: