Exim.rb

Jerry Palmer

What a cool Ruby that is. Well worth the $20 I paid. Explodes your project into its component parts with just a few mouse clicks, and implodes it back to original with another couple clicks.

I've also been playing around with soap bubble/skin. Cool for making wierd shapes.

Since I do mostly "flat" stuff, soap bubble is mostly for just playing around for me, also.

One of these days I'll track down that layout ruby for laying out plywood parts onto sheets, but with the under the saw rail cabinet I'm designing, it was pretty easy to just drag the parts from the drawing over onto a couple pieces of 4X8 "plywood".

I cheat and use the plugin that exports everything to excel and CutListPlus to lay out my sheet goods. I can't remember the last time I did it manually :)

Dave,
That's pretty much how I do the transfer of duplicate pieces to my "plywood sheets". I butt the pieces together, then move them with the proper direction locked, and enter 3/16 into the VCB for the kerf. I guess there's not much use for those layout rubies if I have to optimize the layout manually. Not that tough to do, actually.

Jason,
If I ever do a complex plywood project, I might have to try out your method. Not cheating, actually, just getting the job done. I optimize layout for solid parts by picking material widths at the wood store. What's the name of the plug-in for exporting to excel. That might be handy as I generally go through my dimensioned exploded view manually and type part dimensions into excel.

Last edited:
I just downloaded cutlist and materials and played around with it. It apprently does not open groups and find the componenets within them, so I guess I will need to get used to exploding the groups I use to move assemblies around within a model. Pretty cool.

That's a very good point ... Is the group just a hold-over from an earlier version? Becuase components are so much more useful than just clumps of shapes together - even components filled with components are handy when you want more than one of the same assembly. Grouping is for newbs! :p

That's a very good point ... Is the group just a hold-over from an earlier version? Becuase components are so much more useful than just clumps of shapes together - even components filled with components are handy when you want more than one of the same assembly. Grouping is for newbs! :p

Guess I'm a newb. :rofl: I've used both, components comprised of components and groups comprise of components and never really thought about why I used groups. maybe because they were there. :rofl: