Midi Lathes

Ordered a 1220vs lathe from Grizzly (pretty much a jet clone) a couple day ago. Was getting all excited about getting it, till I got an email lastnight saying the item was back ordered till May 15! I would just suck it up and pay for a jet, but every where I have checked doesnt have them in stock either. Amazon sells the Jet 1220vs but it's through a vendor, and the price is way too high. Now I'm wishing I would have bought the Nova 1624 last year at woodcraft when they had the great sale on them. I need a compact lathe that can be moved cause of my limited shop space. Ideally, I'd like to be able to move it outside and turn there when weather permits. If anyone know of any deals or availability or upcoming sales on any of the above lathes, please chime in, I'm suffering from purchase interuptus:( and would like to finish the deed.

If it's any consolation :( that must mean it is a popular model and lotsa folks like it. :D
I didn't see a Grizzly 1220 mini/midi lathe listed.
In that category they have the H8259 and slightly larger G0624. I haven't used either but have seen them in the Griz store and both look like serious little machines.
I have a hunch if you change your order to the other model you won't be dissapointed.
Good luck.

Code:
Checked E-Bay??
Yup, when I looked today, there wasn't a single lathe posted, peroid.

HTML:
I didn't see a Grizzly 1220 mini/midi lathe listed
It's on Grizzly online and in their catalog as well. Its the only 1220 they sell, dont recall the model #. I think it just came out this year, maybe you have the old catalog.

Code:
Checked E-Bay??
Yup, when I looked today, there wasn't a single lathe posted, peroid.

HTML:
I didn't see a Grizzly 1220 mini/midi lathe listed
It's on Grizzly online and in their catalog as well. Its the only 1220 they sell, dont recall the model #. I think it just came out this year, maybe you have the old catalog.

The model number is the only way I know how to search for Griz products. Might be one of the two I mentioned.

Gordon, the thread you posted does not discuss the lathe I'm interested in. I've considered the banjo thing, as you know the banjo and tool rest articulate to a wide variety of positions, worst case is I might have to get a different tool rest for certain applications, so frankly, thats not an issue with me. I WAS dissapointed that it does not include an indexing head, but easy enough to rig something for that if needed, I'm a pretty handy guy.
Frank, if you go to Grizzly homepage, click on "machinery selection" on the left, then click on lathes, thumbnails of all the lathes they carry will come up on one page. The model # is G0658 BTW. As far as opinions go with this lathe, I'm interested to hear from someone who owns or has had "hands on" with it. The only two comments I've found on the web so far from people in that catagory have been positive. One from a person who owns the Jet 1220 who wishes he would have bought the Grizzly after checking it out. (beefier, better fit and finish). But back to my original question starting this thread; Anyone know of upcoming sales on the Jet 1220VS or where they have them in stock? or a Nova 1624 at a decent price? Woodcraft has a 10% off sale on power tools, so I could get a decent deal on a Jet 1220vs there, but they are backordered till mid-april (estimate). any other deals floating around? There are probably used ones somewhere out there, and I'm fine with that, except freight would probably be a deal breaker.

Gord I've considered the banjo thing, as you know the banjo and tool rest articulate to a wide variety of positions, worst case is I might have to get a different tool rest for certain applications, so frankly, thats not an issue with me.

It is not as simple as you think. The problem is with the banjo as I have pointed out in post #24. You can't solve the problem with replacing just the tool rest. The base of the banjo body is hitting the rim of the bowl while your tool rest post is couple inches away. That extra couple inches of tool overhang can create tool chattering problem. You will have to replace the whole banjo assembly to avoid the problem.

Yes, Gordon, the thread did go widely astray. Nothing to do with your question.
OK, the G0658 is a dandy. Too bad you are having to wait and search for a replacement. If you can't find a subsitute, I believe when your Griz arrives it will be worth waiting for. It sure has a bunch of nice features. e.g. EVS, banjo is on right (correct) side, quite powerful for it's size and much more.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Sorry Gordon, I bailed out on the thread before I got to the end cause it made no mention of the G0658, the current model # of the lathe I'm talking about, plus my eyes started to glaze over. Also, someone mentioned that it didn't have a through headstock. The one I'm talking about does. I see what your talking about with the banjo. I just don't think it will be an issue for my intended purposes. Thanks for your input.