Gonna Get Busy Pretty Soon

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Got word today that the December 29th closing date on our new house has been bumped up to this Friday, the 19th. It's fixin' to get real busy here. :woohoo:

First order of business is to paint most of the interior. Whoever chose the interior paint color was apparently color blind or demented. :rolleyes: At about the same time, we need to add a dog-ear cedar fence extension to the block walls in the back yard. (The walls are a bit low, and we don't want the dog to go over them.) We'll do the painting ourselves, but might hire a friend to do the fence work just to save time.

Then we get to move 2200 cf of household goods from three very packed storage units into the house. We'll be hiring help to do it, although we'll be moving some of it ourselves, too.

The next major project will be to gut the kitchen and replace everything except the ceramic tile floor. I'm planning to go with ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets, and I'll be installing them myself, with help from my BIL and other friends. We've not picked out a cabinet style or color yet, but we've decided on a specific color of quartz countertops. Somewhere along the line, we'll be selling the appliances that are currently in the house, since we bought a new range, microwave range hood, dishwasher, and refrigerator last weekend. :D

Once the dust from that settles, then I can start to put a shop together. There are some existing benches that may or may not stay. I know some of the old kitchen cabinets will get re-installed in the garage, but I'll be wanting a lot more additional storage. The dark brown paneling on the walls will be painted white at the minimum, and possibly removed and replaced with painted OSB. There's also evidence of a previous wood stove in the garage. If the the roof penetration for the flue is still there, I'll be looking at getting this stove to put in the shop. (My sis and BIL have that model, and it's a great unit.) The house and garage have a nearly-new TPO membrane roof (it's a flat roof) and I'm not going to compromise its integrity by punching holes in it for a wood stove. The main electrical panel for the house has already been upgraded to 200 amps, and it's in the garage, so adding power for tools and lighting should be relatively easy. I'll also be looking real hard at building a lean-to shed outside the garage for the compressor and dust collector.

Once the shop is up and running, I want to build new doors for the cabinets in both bathrooms, as well as for some built-in storage in the den and laundry room. And who knows what other projects will pop up along the way?

Gonna be a busy time around the ol' homestead for quite a while. :whistling:

Pics? OK, this one will illustrate why I'm gonna tear out the kitchen. :D

Shiloh%20Kitchen%20Before%2001%20-%20800.jpg

flat roof!? that common there? ...

... Does the flat roof catch rainwater for a cistern?

Flat roofs are pretty common around here. It's a traditional pueblo/Spanish territorial style with a parapet and the roof surface a foot or so below the top of the parapet wall. The name's a bit misleading because they generally have a slight slope, then drain out through openings in the parapets. I think the usual name for the drains are scuppers, but around here they are called canales. In the old days people would use barrels or cisterns to collect what rainwater they could, but these days it's not all that common. (But seeing a resurgence due to the drought conditions in the Southwest.)

Here's a pic of the house across the street from ours. It also had a flat roof and you can see a couple of canales on the side of the garage plus two more on the house behind the garage. (The pic shows the view we have from our front door, except my Lexus wouldn't usually be parked on that side of the street.)

Shiloh%20Front%20Door%20View%2001%20-%20800.jpg

I like your view also.

sounds like you've got at least a months worth of work there.

I finally got my wife to think about spending 3 months a year when she retires in either Nevada, Arizona or NM.
She was set on florida, but I think I want to skip the heavy humidity.

Pics? OK, this one will illustrate why I'm gonna tear out the kitchen. :D

Shiloh%20Kitchen%20Before%2001%20-%20800.jpg

WOW what a view....and the one out the front door isn't bad either. :D

At least the packing is over...except for the stuff at your current living space. :rofl:

Good to hear you're moving in earlier than expected...looking forward to watching the transformation.