Shop Tunes

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
I like music in my shop and I am pretty picky about what I listen to.
My requirements are simple really, I insist that the melody sound as if the instruments are being played with a bit of talent, not used at full volume to hammer a spike into a railroad tie. :dunno: :rofl:

I picked up this unit for the shop the day before yesterday. I've been looking for quite a while. I was pleasantly surprised at what this unit is capable of for the price.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/rca_rs2130i_bookshelf_system_with_ipoddock.html

RS2130i.jpg

Not only will this one charge, use and dock an iPOD and control it through the remote, it will convert and copy music to it from CD's or the radio. (It will do the same for any USB storage device)
I am a total Mac computer user but I just can't see the expense involved in an iPOD.

This unit has a USB port on the front that I just plug a 4GB pocket hard drive (The "Monstor Drive" by US Modular) into and it gives me complete control of what it plays. I could use a 500GB external hard drive if I wanted to. :eek:

Everything can be controlled with the remote. The equalizer easily adjusts the sound quality of each song if that's what you want to do and it does make a big difference in the sound.

I found it at a Super Wal-Mart for $129.00.

I just sit here at the computer, select and add songs to my mini hard drive/flash stick and listen to exactly what I like.

Here is the 2.2GB version of the mini hard drive I use. It’s less than half the price I paid for my 2GB when I got it two years ago.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4744548

I posted this on another site where a fellow was looking for ideas. I thought maybe some of you folks might like to take a look.

DT

That looks like a great setup. I have an old system in my garage that
I have had for years. It consists of a 800 watt Cerwin Vega Amp,C.V.tuner, 30 disc changer, 2 Klipsch 18" subs, 4 C.V. Mids, and 4 C.V. tweeters. The speakers came from a friend of mine who build speakers for Klipsch. I guess that I am his test dummy. It would be great to be able to listen to Pod casts or downloaded music though. I guess for now I will stick with the old Waylon, CDB, and Hank Jr. CD's.

Nothing much "Super" about Wally World, I'll sure agree to that one. I've swore many times I'd never set foot back in there. Sometimes its either that or drive 40 miles or better though. I live in Bubba Land.

As far as quiet... I live alone. My house is like a tomb most of the time and I love it. However, if I'm singing along with the radio, no one can say I am talking to myself. :thumb:

My "Ipod in the Dungeon is an older Dell laptop that I picked up for real cheap, I can also watch the various woodworking videos on it, nice when trying to learn some new turning tools or such, I can put the lap top on the bench near the lathe, watch, turn around and try to do...try anyways :rolleyes:

For music, I have a mini component system, Sony, I think, that I pulled from the garbage, the CD player does not work, I plug the earphone jack on the Dell laptop into the Aux on the stereo and I have music. I have 4 speakers mounted near the ceiling, suspended, I guess would be a better choice of words, Pioneer and JVC, I think, they put out decent sound for the Dungeon.

I like to listen to everything from Spike Jones to George Jones :D

I don't play it loud, more of a background thing, I also listen to AFN on the radio, to keep track of time and to get weather reports etc. Sometimes quiet is good too.

Neat unit Don! :wave:

When I started building my shop a few years ago, my daughter gave me a cheap boombox stereo for the shop. It has AM, FM and a cd player. It's locked on FM 94.1 and the 60's and 70's rock music is probably too loud for most folks but I'm nearly deaf anyway. It's amazing .......I actually find the music soothing and turn in time to the music playing..........But there's nothing wrong with quiet either!

don, my shop tunes are an xm reciever(thanks marty-n-denise!) piped through a marantz pre-amp then through a mackie mixer board into a pair of mackie 1530`s......similar to what you`d listen to at the local club...plays old rock-n-roll loud enough to hear every guitar lick over the equipment:D

MVC-458S.JPG

MVC-459S.JPG

Have you people never heard of hearing protection!!!:D

I wear ear defenders all day and feel naked in the shop without them. When it gets hot and sweaty (about three days a year - this is england) I change them every hour on the hour to keep it comfortable and hygenic. I put ear buds from an mp3 player inside the cup of the ear defenders and listen to audiobooks. I find that his works better for me than music and I have "read" loads of the classics that I would never otherwise get round to. I also sometimes plug an MP3 fm transmitter into the headphone socket of the shop laptop and stream stuff off the radio (praise be for the BBC!) into my peltor worktunes.

I try and make as much as possible solid state so that the dust etc in the shop doesn't kill it all too quickly.

I think Tod wins the Binford 5000 sound system award! Talk about kick butt!

I have an old Bose Wave Radio that my Mom had, I keep it on a mix station, you know the best of the 60s, 70s 80s 90s and today ..... no rap.

I have tinnitus, so I don't like to be in a quiet room---EVER-- because that is when I have to listen to the ringing in my ears.

Jay