rolling pin

Frank Fusco

Not a challenging project....unless I didn't do it. :rolleyes:
Wifey has been hinting very hard, she wanted a rolling pin. Since I'm the guy that does the spinny thing and has the new lather, it finally dawned on me I should make a rolling pin. Looked up rolling pins on some project sites. This is near the recommended size. Except, recommended length for the actual rolling part is 22". That seemed pretty big to me. This one is 18". Diameter recommended is 3 1/2", seems big but I made it that. I know old rolling pins were generally larger than modern ones. Turned from Bradford Pear and rubbed with a beeswax finish. Couple burn lines to keep it from looking too plain. White spot on left handle is a worm hole I had to fill.

Attachments

• rolling pin.jpg
    rolling pin.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 88
That looks really cool, Frank. Would you mind letting me know where you found the plans for that? LOML would like one, too. And what SWMBO wants, SWMBO gets. Otherwise I wouldn't have lived this long. I know the rules!!!:D:wave:

Looks good Frank, is it all one piece, or is the handle separate?

I was going to make one for my wife, but she uses a Soba rolling pin, which is basically a thick dowel about 2' long and 1 1/4" diameter. The only other rolling pin she wants is one for pastry, and they are made from Marble, no, I'm not going to try to turn Marble! :eek:

Again, nice job Frank, sounds like you made the right choice with your lathe! :thumb:

Pete, Stu, Steve
Thanks for comments.
I used a caliper to help keep size consistent and did most of turning with my new Henry Taylor 1" skew. Handles are part of the blank, do not turn.
I never gave a thought to it not steering straight if the pin was not perfect, just got lucky.
Burn lines impress people who don't turn. They are simple to do but add that extra touch that changes plain to interesting.