Tablesaw Base Cabinet--Wild Hair Idea

Dave Richards

I've been thinking again. Run for the hills!

Well, if you didn't heed my warning, here's my thought. I am planning to build a box on which I'll mount my Jet contractor's saw. I think I would use the space directly below the saw for dust collection access. I was wondering about getting a cheap, small, maybe used DC motor/blower assembly and installing it so the intake is attached directly to the dust collection port on the bottom of the saw. I'd probably use a short bit of DC flex hose to isolate vibration from the DC motor. The output would be fed to the existing DC with the canister filter.

What do you think?

It'd have to be a real tiny blower because the boost might actually burn up your existing DC. A blower works harder the more air it's moving, even if that air's boosted. Keep an ammeter on that current DC motor and see if it draws too much current. :)

It'd have to be a real tiny blower because the boost might actually burn up your existing DC. A blower works harder the more air it's moving, even if that air's boosted. Keep an ammeter on that current DC motor and see if it draws too much current. :)

ok jason heres a? fer ya. if i was to locate my DC blower and motor outside with the exhaust going straight to the air outside you tellin me that i would or could burn up my blower motor becasue i had not enough back pressure?

ok jason heres a? fer ya. if i was to locate my DC blower and motor outside with the exhaust going straight to the air outside you tellin me that i would or could burn up my blower motor becasue i had not enough back pressure?

I wouldn't say that definitively, no. The back pressure DOES have an impact, but you're likely to have plenty of resistence in your ductwork and fittings to make up for any loss in back pressure. I will say that climate control in your shop would be more of a challenge in this situation, though :)

I've been thinking again. Run for the hills!

Well, if you didn't heed my warning, here's my thought. I am planning to build a box on which I'll mount my Jet contractor's saw. I think I would use the space directly below the saw for dust collection access. I was wondering about getting a cheap, small, maybe used DC motor/blower assembly and installing it so the intake is attached directly to the dust collection port on the bottom of the saw. I'd probably use a short bit of DC flex hose to isolate vibration from the DC motor. The output would be fed to the existing DC with the canister filter.

What do you think?

Richard. You thinking something on the lines of one of those small 500cfm blowers that grizzly and penstate sells?

I have one of those small grizzlys, my first blower I purchased.
Its fairly small.

Richard. You thinking something on the lines of one of those small 500cfm blowers that grizzly and penstate sells?

I have one of those small grizzlys, my first blower I purchased.
Its fairly small.

Steve, yeah. I was thinking about something like that. With Menard's selling a low end jet DC there are some of these things listed for sale used in the Mayo and IBM classifieds. I have always passed them up before but might consider buying one if this idea might work.

The TS seems to be the most difficult tool in my shop as far as good dust collection goes. I thought I'd maybe even have enough guts with a blower underneath to run an overarm guard.

Last time I ran the dado set on the TS, I did it without cleaning out the cabinet first. It looked like a snow making machine and of course I was wearing a polar fleece long sleeve shirt. :rolleyes: Some good suction would have been ideal.

Contractor Saw dust collection

Now, the 4 inch dust collection DRAWER is about 1/2 the length of the opening under the saw and
the full width (along front) of the saw.
It's a little taller than the 4 inch port
The drawer (inside) is made normal (like a regular drawer) but I put 1/4 inch sloping inserts (glued in) from:
'right top side edge to left bottom side edge' - this piece is a rectangle -
and another piece from back top side edge to bottom, just under the 'rear' of the dust collection hole - this piece is a triangle.
Now, the reason for the drawer - "You will drop the arbor nut" :D (and I have!)
I would hate to hear go chunking through the fan of the dust collector.
Now, your orientation for all this explanation is the front of the saw.
:doh:

Attachments

• tblsaw4w.jpg
    tblsaw4w.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 27
My contractor saw sets on a steel stand and I put a couple runners the sides. Then I built a box to slide under the saw to catch the sawdust. It catches about 90 percent of it which is a lot better that having to sweep it off the floor all the time.

DK