vertical lathe for use with a drill press

Sean Wright

I just saw this on Grizzly's site. What do you think about it, for someone who doesn't have a lathe, but wants to give turning a try?

I understand that a drill press isn't made for this, and that excessive use for this would cause alot of wear and tear on the DP.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h8071

Description
Perform vertical spindle turning on your multi-speed drill press with this Lathe Attachment. Easy setup means quick change over from drill press mode to lathe mode. A 12" tool rest allows a maximum work piece length of 24" when the work piece is reversed. Includes a base plate with live center, 12" tool rest, mounting bolts, mini screw center and spur center. Fits all drill presses with a through hole in the table.

Attachments

• DP-Lathe1.jpg
    DP-Lathe1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 20
I don't think I'd want one if I were planning to pursue woodturning, but if I was a flatwork-only guy who needed a pair of knobs or something simple, then it might be worth the $20. It also would probably work OK (but not great) for pens, but if you were accustomed to a horizontal lathe, it might take some time to adjust your techniques.

I think for someone who wants to give turning a try, this would not give a very good indication of what turning is really like. Sort of like giving a water balloon to someone who wants to try out pistol shooting. ;)

For someone who wants to try turning before committing to a lathe, I know a lot of folks have dipped a toe into the Vortex by taking a class at Woodcraft or other similar places. Also, I think a turning club would be a place you could meet someone who'd be glad to let you give their lathe a spin. Keep in mind that that lathe is just the beginning of what's needed for turning. Even with the Grizzly rig a person would need a chisel or two and something to sharpen them with.

sean, i`ve actually spun stuff on a drill press....like vaughn says "it ain`t a lathe"......i had the benefit of learning on a real (to me at the time) lathe so i kinda knew what i was in for and it got the job done but it wasn`t fun...save your nickles and start dropping hints to mama now for christmas...you`ll be much happier...

[edit] it`s all bill g`s fault that sean has the turnin` bug!

Sean....Vaughn gave you some pretty sage advice. Check out a local Woodcraft Store for some beginnning turning lessons. First you get some experienced instruction, 2nd you get to use a real lathe even if only a mini....(I turn on a mini) and third, you are only out the expense of the class if you decide it is not for you! Pretty sage advice IMHO.

Listen to Vaughn. I tried one of those back in 2005. A neighbor of my dads in my home town had one. I was going to buy it since he didn't use it he said. After about 30 minutes of frustration I understood why he didn't use it and I told the LOML I was going to buy a lathe because that thing was junk and as they say the rest is history.

I would go to a Rocklers or Woodcraft store and give one of their shop lathes a try. If you like it buy one and if not don't waste your money on that thing. Just my $1.298.

I have made toy wheels with my bench top drill press laying on it's side before I got a lathe. It worked pretty good for that and you could make pens if you had to. Pretty cheep lathe for little things.
Bob

Vaughn summed it up well. For the occasional time you need something round, but not necessarily pretty, it might be handy. For quite a few years I made small knobs and even brass things on one of those pretend drill presses that hold a hand drill. But if you are planning on getting into turning, I think it would prove a turn-off.