Fence Project

Ed Nelson

I have been asked to build a custom fence around a back yard, about 250' of fence. We are thinking about using horizontal slats and I am thinking of using Ipe for the posts and cypress for the slats. I understand Ipe is quite difficult to work with. Do any of you guys have experience with it? Do you have any suggestions for alternate wood. The only specification so far is no PT lumber! It will include a gate with an automatic opener across the driveway. The house is a 1920's craftsman bungalow.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ipe isn't too bad... IF you use carbide tooling.... So you'd be ok making posts out of it, just buy the posts and cut to length. It'll drill ok, but use through bolts to hold whatever goes across because the ipe is a bit too hard to thread into reliably. You could probably use machine screws though and tap the ipe :rofl:

Only other thing I can tell you is stay as far away from Cabot's Australian Timber Oil as you can even if the guy where you buy the ipe is giving you a line that smells like roses instead of that other stuff. Can't figure out why they push that junk for putting on ipe, but I've found Sikkens SRD to be a better choice (though thats a recent application, so we're still in test mode), or if you have trouble finding that, Penofin is also pretty good stuff. Put it on real thin so as not to build a film.

Hi Ed,:wave:
From Library bookcases to custom fences, just what the carpenter loves.!:D Never a dull moment:rofl:
Green heart from around Gyuana, South America for sure, "or" purple heart might work. Don't know if you can find them or not.
Look forward to this one.:)
Shaz

Hey Shaz! I know I can get PH from Woodcraft, but I don't know if I could get 4x4 pieces! I would also guess it would be pricey! Could make for a cool Fence though! I think I'll need about 35~40 posts and he wants an 8' fence! I think I can get the Ipe for around $2, but I'm not sure if that is bf or lf:dunno: Gotta check that!

Should be a fun project and yes, I'm open to what ever!

Well I finally started putting up the boards for the fence project I'm working on. Decided to go with PT posts and cypress boards. Here's a pic of what I've done so far.

PIC-0018.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic:eek:

Ed, I used Cedar for my 650 linear feet of fence. I did it in a "neighbor friendly" style, with a trim strip on both sides at the bottom...2x4 only at the top on the back side, but a matching trim strip on my side.

Well I finally started putting up the boards for the fence project I'm working on. Decided to go with PT posts and cypress boards. Here's a pic of what I've done so far.

PIC-0018.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic:eek:
Hi Ed, :wave: Thanks for keeping us abreast. Greg really has a lot of fence, nice looking too. That cedar is hard to beat!
My experiences tell me you need something vertical between posts to do two very important things.#1 keep the spacing the same between boards. ( the cedar even set vertically wil move in and out and swell with the weather. I think you need something to help maintain those spaces between the boards and #2 that vertical if set on a brick or something indescreet but firm will keep your whole span (from pole to pole) from sagging. You will be proud 3 years from now, And ten years too.:D
I'll come over, we will get some lawn chairs and sit there having a cocktail, telling lies and admiring your fence! 2017.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Good so far!!!
Shaz

Hi Ed, :wave:
Man that looks like a lot of work!! Are you starting out with a standard width board and ripping others to the more narrow pieces? Nice looking job, got any help? Keep us posted.
Thanks,
Shaz

Hey Shaz. I am ripping a 1x6 in half for the narrow boards. I have some issues to deal with tomorrow. Got the posts stained the way these folks wanted them, but now they are wanting them not so red! I checked with them several times before I stained the posts, but they were sure this is what they wanted. Any ideas on toning the color down a bit?

Ed,

Is it the red they object to, or the darkness. If it's just the red, could you get the stain adjusted to a more brown and apply that? Be sure to get their OK in writing this time...:D :rofl:

Nice looking fence. Are you going to be adding a vertical board on top of the horizontal slats where they meet at the post?

View attachment 12637

Last edited:
Hey Greg. It sounds like the red is the problem, but they mentioned getting it to look closer to the cypress. I can change it, but I don't know if I can lighten it! I will be discussing this with them this morning. One option will be to wrap the posts in cypress!

Yes there will be a cap board on the fence and we are planning on a vertical at each post.

Ed,

Is the fence a dividing fence within their property, or a border fence with the posts mainly visible only to the other property owner? How many posts will need changing? Seems like wrapping them would be "overkill", but that's just my opinion...:dunno::doh:

:wave:

Talked to them today about the options. He's decided to live with the posts as is for a while. Yes the posts face out. The back yard has a 15' right of way for the power company. The driveway side will probably likely get finished on the neighbors side. He wants to replace his fence and may be interested in having me do it for him.:bang: The other neighbor has the entire back yard covered with bamboo! The red posts were done because they match the trim on teh house, but if they do decide to change it, it will probably be done with a solid color deck/fence stain.

Talked to them today about the options. He's decided to live with the posts as is for a while. Yes the posts face out. The back yard has a 15' right of way for the power company. The driveway side will probably likely get finished on the neighbors side. He wants to replace his fence and may be interested in having me do it for him.:bang: The other neighbor has the entire back yard covered with bamboo! The red posts were done because they match the trim on teh house, but if they do decide to change it, it will probably be done with a solid color deck/fence stain.
Hi Ed, :wave:
Thanks for the update. Although this fence and it's progress have not gone completely as expected, you are out there getting on with your building and inneracting with the people. You are doing well, like Tod who told the folks to clear out their stuff he was done, you too are really enjoying the confusion and turmoil, and satisfaction at times that helps us know we are alive. You are growing and,( next time make a sample with the color, get it approved and cut it in half,one for them one for you) your fence is going to be just great! I know it will be awesome when done! Thanks for keeping us in the LOOP!
Shaz

Hey Shaz, thanks for the kind words. I had them approve the first two posts before doing the others. They both liked the color and contrast, but then started second guessing themselves. Well he did, she was still quite happy with the color and I think he is as well after we talked on what it would take to change it!

Finished the section along the drive today and it's really looking good. It will help a lot when I attach the vertical pieces at each post and put the cap boards on. I'll get some more pics when I get that done. I hope to have that all finished this coming week and start working on the gates next weekend.

I'm kind of hoping to have a little free time when this is done. I have a couple furniture pieces I want to work on for myself!

The plan is to match the gates to the fence panels. I haven't completely decided how I'm going to do them. The horizontal slats limit design options a little. I'll probably build a pegged mortise and tenon frame with a diagonal stretcher and put the slats on that. I want to use (excuse the sailing terminology) a pintle and gudgeon to hinge the gates. At least on the large driveway gates. I have to figure out where I can get those!