Fixing "Whoops" Holes

Stuart Ablett

Now we have all done it, I know I've done it more than most, but sometimes you drill a hole in the wrong spot, or that drill bit is too long.... etc, etc..... :doh:

This is something that I learned along the way, heck, I might have even seen it here the first time, I dunno :dunno: :huh: Or online, or a magazine etc.

hole_plug_1.jpg
I got a couple of unsightly holes, these are from when I was trying to use the pocket hole jig to join the two pieces of wood to make my legs, I drilled the wrong piece :doh:

hole_plug_2.jpg
This is a 10mm bradpoint bit, the hole is a LOT bigger than the point on the bit, so it will NOT center and will just make an even bigger mess....... DAMHIKT :doh:

hole_plug_3.jpg
I take a block of wood, I mark the place I want the guide hole, with the pencil line first, that way, after I'm done drilling, I will know the lines are the center of the guide hole. In this case I made the hole on the piece of MDF the same distance from the edge of the side of leg as the hole I want to plug, just easier that way.

hole_plug_4.jpg
I line up the guide block, and drill the hole, about 3/8" deep is fine, keep the drill nice and steady and level.

hole_plug_5.jpg
I did two, notice that the holes to be plugged are not exactly in the center of the new hole? Don't matter at all.

hole_plug_6.jpg
Put some glue on some tapered plugs and tap them into place, try to leave the plugs just a touch proud.

hole_plug_7.jpg
Once the glue is dry, shave the plugs off, I like a block plane for this, but a sharp chisel works too, a light sanding and you are done, easy.

Like I said, this may be an old trick to a lot of guys, but I was doing it on the back bench, so I thought I'd take some pics and share.

As always comments, critiques welcome :wave:

Cheers!

BTDT!

I also cut my own plugs trying to match color and grain, and then align the grain when gluing them in. I know this is "shop furniture" but it is also a good place to practice!

When I bought my plug cutter, I went through all my 3/8" brad points until one cut a hole that exactly matched the plug my cutter produced. They are now stored together!

Just a thought.

BTDT!

I also cut my own plugs trying to match color and grain, and then align the grain when gluing them in. I know this is "shop furniture" but it is also a good place to practice!

When I bought my plug cutter, I went through all my 3/8" brad points until one cut a hole that exactly matched the plug my cutter produced. They are now stored together!

Just a thought.

Carol, I had a LV tapered plug cutter, but for the life of me I cannot find the darn thing, I guess it is time to buy another one....... so I can then find the first one :doh:

...I had a LV tapered plug cutter, but for the life of me I cannot find the darn thing...

I have a set of those, and they come in very handy.

Right now, I'm refinishing our kitchen cabinets, and replacing the hardware. The new handles have a completely different bolt pattern than the old, so I'm using a variation of your technique to patch/plug the old holes. I've cut plugs out of face-grain oak, and then installing them, paying careful attention to grain matching, with hide glue. Once sanded and stained, thay're nearly invisible.

Twenty-one doors and drawers done so gar - 'only' 17 more to go!

Per-zakerly the way I repaired gaping holes in a Paneled wall, Seems the "fixit man" dug out a large hole to hang a small reading lamp using Big Toggle bolts. Lamp went away but the hole stayed.
P1020454.jpg

I made a similar jig 5/8" and double sided taped it to the wall Forstner bit (I used) and drilled only as deep as the paneling (plaster board behind the paneling, Used a Plug cutter and a scrap of the paneling from behind the baseboard, oriented the grain and glued in, almost invisible patch (or should we call it a Dutchman?)
P1020471.jpg

That is a great way to Un-Oops or to repair someone else's Oops. Thanks for the posting.

Stu, thanks for posting this technique. I am shocked however, shocked, to learn that you have made a hole in a place where it belonged not.

The LV plug cutter has saved my posterior way more than once.