cruise and Gustav

Frank Fusco

Wooden ye know? Our long planned cruise (after you guys insisted I do it ;) ) to celebrate our 43rd anniversary (was in June) and first real vacation in 25 years, may be deep sixed, literally, by hurricane Gustav. It is predicted to hit the gulf coast at New Orleans and Mobile, Alabama area on Sunday. That is the day we arrive and our ship is supposed to leave. Then the path of the hurricane is exactly where our ship will be traveling. To make it worse, the storm is supposed to hit the tip of the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. We are scheduled to make stops at Progresso and Cozumel. Bingo, right there. We can only hope that it is not to severe to prevent the ship from leaving Sunday and will have passed those spots by the time we are supposed to leave. Carnival is still saying no change in scheduled embarkation. (new word or me :p )

At first I thought you were talking about Stickley.:huh::rofl:

Bummer on the weather Frank - I hope Gustav either hurries up or takes a turn away from your intended destinations.

Frank, I hope it all works out. You both deserve a real vacation if it's been 25yrs. Also, 43yrs :eek: My 9th is just around the corner.

If the cruise does get canceled, maybe you can take the new camper out for an extended trip...or a short one to the Springfield area....maybe take in some of your favorite GREEN You know she would understand. ;):wave:

At first I thought you were talking about Stickley.:huh::rofl:

Bummer on the weather Frank - I hope Gustav either hurries up or takes a turn away from your intended destinations.

Current predictions for Gustav look promising. Arrival at Mobile shouldn't be until Tuesday. Once underway, they can skirt the storm and makes stop at places other than where scheduled. That won't bother us at all.

good luck, I hope you guys make it and the storm leaves you alone.

If you take your mobile home way up north, my driveway is always open if you want to park it and head into the big apple(or I can burn us some steaks on the bbq, Im about as good at cooking as I am woodworking)

The current projection puts arrival at New Orleans/Mobile even later. Wed. now. Meaning, we should be able to leave just fine on Monday a.m. and the ship can skirt the edge of the storm and travel where it was days earlier.

The current projection puts arrival at New Orleans/Mobile even later. Wed. now. Meaning, we should be able to leave just fine on Monday a.m. and the ship can skirt the edge of the storm and travel where it was days earlier.
Bon Voyage! Remember - no pictures, didn't happen. We'll need at least one of you actually standing on the deck.... with no dock in the background!:rofl:

I was speaking with someone earlier, and they told me they are leaving out of Miami, and now a storm named Hanna is going to make their departure questionable.
good luck to everyone planning trips down south.

As of this morning, the prediction is still Tuesday afternoon before Gustav hits New Orleans. But, the new path has it hitting west of the small gulf at Mobile, Alabama where our ship will be.
For us, that is good news. The ship will leave 3 p.m. Monday and we will trust the Captain to not take a route through the approaching hurricane. I doubt he wants to have his crew staying busy mopping up vomit.

The trip may be off, at least for now. The New Orleans airport is closed. Our hotel is closed. But, we were to be transported to Mobile, Alabama by the cruise line for departure there. I'm thinking we should start tomorrow and drive to Mobile to catch the ship. But, even though the cruise is officially a 'go', a lady with Carnival believes it will be cancelled. All services are being cooperative. The hotel will not require us to pay for cancellation. Airlines will refund or reschedule. Carnival will refund or book another trip. This was supposed to be a vacation. Now, it's stress and wife is crying. I almost am.

It's not worth the stress. Ask to reschedule, or refund, and do a different trip. Several people at work have done the Alaska cruise this year, and all rave about it. Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, and all very enjoyable. Might be worth looking into. But what ever you do, be happy. Jim.

Sorry to hear of the stress Frank. Take a couple steps back, regroup, and eventually you and LOYL will get that vacation you both deserve.