Vaughn or Anyone Played a "Fan Fret" Guitar?

I've never played one. The concept is that the bass notes benefit from having a longer string length. They seem to appeal to the metalheads using lowered tunings. (The kind of bands that have a lead growler as well as a lead singer.)

Personally, I don't like the natural edge look of the guitar you linked to. Great piece of wood, but not for a guitar, IMO. Others would love it, though.

I haven't played one yet - though I probably will pick one up one of these days. They say they're more natural feeling and ergonomic once you get used to 'em... i'm dubious about that, but i'm also ignorant having never held one.

...They say they're more natural feeling and ergonomic once you get used to 'em... i'm dubious about that, but i'm also ignorant having never held one.

After roughly 50 years of playing conventional necks, I'm not inclined to get used to a new style, lol. :D

haha - yeah - i'm not sure i'd like 'em as much bending as I do, either - seems they would affect that quite a bit.

Good point. It seems most of the guys I've seen using these on the guitar forums -- the "technical shredders" -- don't bend anything. It seems their whole intent is to fit 900 pounds of notes into a 50 pound box. :rolleyes: Fan frets seem great for sweep picking and blindingly-fast arpeggios, but not so much for playing with expression and emotion. ;)

Good point. It seems most of the guys I've seen using these on the guitar forums -- the "technical shredders" -- don't bend anything. It seems their whole intent is to fit 900 pounds of notes into a 50 pound box. :rolleyes: Fan frets seem great for sweep picking and blindingly-fast arpeggios, but not so much for playing with expression and emotion. ;)

Indeed. No bending? Might as well be playin' piano :p