Scaffold over the carport

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
My house is a modified A-frame. That makes for interesting eaves that need painting.

I have a two-car metal carport on one end of the house with the steep eaves that need painting. There is also a bathroom window up there that I want to replace with a thermal pane window.

How do we (painter, carpenter, and me - not all at the same time) get up there and work safely?

One thought is to fasten a 2x4 ledger onto the house, leaving screw or nail holes to repair later. Then place a long 2x4 "rim" jois that will rest on the metal roof of the carport. Cross 2x4's as floor joints and 3/4" sturdi-floor plywood. That would leave us a 4' x 24' platform paralle with the house. That would provide a 'floor' for ladders.

Another thought (not yet researched for availability locally) would be to rent a boom man lift or bucket truck.

A third would be to remove 3 or 4 panels of metal roofing and sticking a 24' ladder up between the rafters (which are 5' apart.)

Renting some kind lift is the most appealing labor-wise but these guys are slower than slow, and the rental fee could break me.

So you ask, why am I concerned with this problem? Because the guys who paint do not have a solution either. One who works with a general contractor WITH equipment, shook his head and said "move the carport." NOT!

Your thoughts, folks?

Attachments

• Eave above the carport.jpg
    Eave above the carport.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 60
You have to run there aluminum pole. :thumb:
Stephen I can tell you after working with both that the aluminum is the way to go.
Ever stood up a 24' double 2x4 pole by your self? Ain't no fun at all is it.
Oh and another thing you know how the 2x4 ones kinda jump down, Well the aluminum ones actually crank like they are posed to.:thumb:

Last edited:
well carol iwas gonna suggest chuck to the rescue on this but i see he already got here so i agree completly with him on what to do and your rent of the equipment would probally end up being about the same cost..now if you have enough lead in your foot to make the jack work??? does it push hard chuck and would a little lite young lady be able to make it work?:D

You have to run there aluminum pole. :thumb:
Stephen I can tell you after working with both that the aluminum is the way to go.
Ever stood up a 24' double 2x4 pole by your self? Ain't no fun at all is it.
Oh and another thing you know how the 2x4 ones kinda jump down, Well the aluminum ones actually crank like they are posed to.:thumb:

unfortunately i have had to. Not any fun at all.:) I've also had to stand up 40 ft 2x4 post, that's really no fun even with 2 brothers helping.:( We were siding a 4 story arpt. in the middle of down town endicott NY. The only thing that we could get on the lot. Sure wish we had the aluminum poles at that time. And ya i rember them jumping no fun ether.:thumb:

unfortunately i have had to. Not any fun at all.:) I've also had to stand up 40 ft 2x4 post, that's really no fun even with 2 brothers helping.:( We were siding a 4 story arpt. in the middle of down town endicott NY. The only thing that we could get on the lot. Sure wish we had the aluminum poles at that time. And ya i rember them jumping no fun ether.:thumb:

Makes your hart go pitter pat don't it.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

well carol iwas gonna suggest chuck to the rescue on this but i see he already got here so i agree completly with him on what to do and your rent of the equipment would probally end up being about the same cost..now if you have enough lead in your foot to make the jack work??? does it push hard chuck and would a little lite young lady be able to make it work?:D

Well some times I have to kinda jump on the with all of the 200 lbs I have to get them up.:thumb: But that is relevant to how many square of siding I have on the work bench.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: