rifle vise - simple scrap wood project.

Frank Fusco

I have been needing a rifle/shotgun vise for some time. Too cheep to buy a fancy ready made one. Located these plans on the 'net: http://zoneballistic.com/colinsballistics/riflevise.html
Indeed, it is a simple project and can be made from scrap wood.
I made the base from 1/2" plywood, the 2-bye uprights from treated wood I keep in a scrap pile outside the shop door just for occasions like this. The cam handle is oak for strength. I slobbered on some dark walnut stain and let it go at that. The holding parts are covered with soft tanned deer hide.
I didn't make sides or jar holders as I much prefer to spill stuff all over and lose those very important tiny screws. ;)
Actually, I'm waiting to find out what holder will work best for my purposes. Muzzle loading old style guns have their own little accutrements not used with modern stuff.riflle vise.jpg

I have three or four plans printed out and in the file box in the shop. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Yours looks excellent. That is going to be as handy as a pocket on your shirt!!

Thanks all. I like it so much I plan to build another one. But, next time, it will be made with all quality wood, probably oak, and have a few extra touches for function and looks.