Diamone willow cane redux

Frank Fusco

You might recall my post about the Diamond willow cane. I was very proud to acquire this diamond willow stick and make it into a cane.
But, when done it was simply too tall for me to use comfortably. (BTW, I don't need or use a cane. I sorta collect them and am preparing for the day when I might need one.)
However, I was reluctant to cut it down as there was some nice diamond formations near the end tip.
Then a rare strike of brillance struck me. :rolleyes: Cut it down and incorporate the formations cut off into a new handle. That would accomplish my needs for a shorter stick and preserve the formations.
To add some length to the handle I choose Osage Orange and doweled a couple hunks onto the willow. The OO will turn walnut dark with time, I know that and it is just fine with me.
My original plan was to turn the OO down to blend with the ends of the willow. Uh-Oh! :eek: No-no. :huh: Found out, that willow just won't turn. No way, no how. It only goes to splinters. So I ended up with a somewhat abrupt meeting of the two. Not what I envisioned but the wood dictated the results as often happens with projects, even little ones like this.
Enneyhow, the steps and end result is shown. I still have a little touch up here and there but I like the end result. If I ever do need to use it for real I'll carry with pride remembering my friend.
willow handle redux start.jpgwillow handle in progress.jpgwillow cane handle.jpg

Help me out here Frank...what's Diamond Willow? I've heard of weeping willow, but not Diamond.

I was hoping someone would ask. It comes from the north country, Canadian Yukon, Alaska and such. The formations are not normal on the willows but are the result of a disease. The amount and size of the formations varies a lot. A perfect covering of the 'diamonds' is highly sought after. As far as I can tell, there are only a couple cottage industry folks cutting and selling the stick. And, sadly, one is going out of business as he has terminal cancer. Do a Google search and some suppliers will pop up.

I was hoping someone would ask. It comes from the north country, Canadian Yukon, Alaska and such.
Hi Jim; I bought some from this gentleman by the name of Ken Laninga a few years back.

http://www.sticksite.com/ I think you'll get a kick scrolling through his site!

Sadly, that is the fellow who is dying. He says he will be dead by Sept. 20 this year. The buisness is for sale. It is an interesting site.