A simple bookcase?

Hello all, I just finished my first project (a coffee table), while it's not perfect I think I'm hooked.

I have needed a large bookcase for one of the spare rooms for a while but haven't found one that I like is is affordable.

Does anyone know of plans to make a simple bookcase. Something about 6' tall with stationary shelves. If not, could I just use 1x12's for the frame and shelves?

Today out of nowhere, a coworker asks me if I want a piece of 3/4" birch plywood that was cluttering his garage. I did, so he brought it to me.

I am going to try to make the bookcase out of that.

Any suggestions?

Get some pictures of bookcases that suit your needs for size and style. Don't commit to the plywood just because you have it. You might want to consider a face frame for the case and some sort of solid edging for the shelves to not only cover the plywood edges but add some stiffening.

And Larry will take care of paying me for my time :D and he'll plane the lumber down for you :D and even apply the finish, too. :D Larry's a great guy, shawn. :)

Sorry, Larry. I couldn't resist.
:rofl:

Georgia, i need to do a through inspection on the credenza, bill built and am gonna try to get some one on one in that sketchup program for future use:) also got a few ponds that have way to many fish in them in mississippi:)

Sounds like a good trip. If you ever come this way, we can set you up. A little SketchUp one-on-one and depending upon when you come, it'll either be mosquito swatting or lutefisk. :D

and dave will draw up the plans for you:) shawn and he can make up a cut list for it too:) he really is a great guy shawn:)

And Larry will take care of paying me for my time :D and he'll plane the lumber down for you :D and even apply the finish, too. :D Larry's a great guy, shawn. :)

Sorry, Larry. I couldn't resist.
:rofl:

And I will visualize the diagram :D and pretend to smell the wood chips :D and admire the pictures of the finished project :rofl:

shawn sorry for hijacking your thread some,, but really get some pics out there and some one can get it drawn up for you and there is alot wood available in many different areas, but we could use your location in the profile to find out who your close to:)

Oh yea, what's a good way to put a bookcase together? Being new, I don't have much experience or woodworking tools. So far I have used a countersink bit and wood screws. I could pick up one of those pocket hole jigs if needed.