My Frozen Sunburn

Yep, you read that title right. The weather here is so crazy. Today I woke up at 4 am almost froze to death. I guess I should have been, the house heater has not been turned on yet and it was a whopping 34 degrees outside. That is 2 degrees shy of making soft water hard. There was frost warnings posted on the TV weather forecast and it would not surprise me if some places North and West of me actually hit the freezing mark.

So I head into work, waiting impatiently for the heater to get high enough to warm me up. Well I get sent on a boat that is floating in the harbor. It's an older yacht, 4 years old or so, called the Acadia which hit a rogue wave in heavy seas and bent the bow rail. Anyway I am out there all day straightening the mess out. Now the temp hits 76 degrees, there is a nice warm breeze coming off the water and I get a serious sunburn. You can even see the burn pattern around my sunglasses!

So it sounds ironic, but today I had a frozen sunburn!!
(Here is a pic of that boat I was working on for the yachters on here)

acadia_starboard_running.jpg

Interesting experience. An "older" yacht at 4 years?
BTW, not all of us remember where "here" is for all members. Where are you?
I would like to see city of residence for all members on all posts. It would make some comments more relevant.

Maine already cooling off? Send some our way, Another scorcher today, Too hot for the kids to want to go swimming, all summer. And school started this week. Whew!!! Glad I don't have to face that anymore.

Maine already cooling off? Send some our way, Another scorcher today, Too hot for the kids to want to go swimming, all summer. And school started this week. Whew!!! Glad I don't have to face that anymore.

My son and his family took a vacation in Maine about a month ago. In all the pictures he took, they are wearing jackets. Makes me wonder about the winters. :eek:

My son and his family took a vacation in Maine about a month ago. In all the pictures he took, they are wearing jackets. Makes me wonder about the winters. :eek:

Frank, not trying to laugh at your family, but here in maine there are two people in the summer time...natives and the tourists. The latter are easy to spot because while we are down to t-shirts and shorts, they are covering up with jackets and long pants...especially on the coast where its 10 degrees cooler than inland.

A few weeks ago we were down to a lobster pound getting some ice cream and the tourists must have thought we were cruel. Alyson was in her sun dress while they were dressed up in jackets, long pants and even scarfs. It was well above 50 degrees outside too.

I am joking at that last statement. It was probly in the 60's. Myself, and I am not trying to be a John Wayne type of guy here, I wear a T-shirt and jeans 365 days a year. If it gets real cold I might wear a sweatshirt.

Speaking of cold, up until the early 1990's, the coldest I ever remember us getting was 32 degrees below zero ferienheight WITHOUT factoring in windchill. Since then we have blown that away. In 2004 we hit a week of temps that hit 55 below zero ferigheight, WITHOUT factoring in windchill. I was working for the railroad at the time and the locomotives were dying left and right. At one point 36 were running out of a fleet of 100. It was COLd. Not chilly, downright cold.

Oh I forgot, we hit the freezing mark last night. Scattered frost throughout the state, though on the coast it was just warm enough to keep it at bay...but just barely at 36 degrees.

Wow I hyjacked my own thread...3rd reply to my own reply...anywho...

We are supposed to get summer starting tomorrow. The Canadian High that has been dumping cold temps on us is supposed to lift and give us some serious heat. 85 degrees and high humidity. Nothing I want, but here it comes. That Canadian High hits us a lot in the winter. That is when temps get low.

As for what our winters look like, well I got this picture. It was taken by my wife as I plowed out our driveway during a blizzard. The General term of a blizzard here is 12 inches of snow or more, and winds over 20 mph...If I look cold in the picture, I was and yes I was wearing a jacket that day!! Now following this is a link for a video clip shot on top of lookout Mountain. We snowmobiled up there in 40 mph winds. The view was great, but it was cold. You can see the clip in the lower left side of the webpage and should start up automatically for you. As I said, the view was great, but it was cold!

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Snow_Baxter_Trip.html

Cars_and_Tractor2.JPG